Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Clutch HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch HELP!

I just moved to Texas. Unfortunately I had to leave my old CB7 so I started searching for a new one. Found the perfect one. 5 speed Manual with Clutch problems.

"Clutch Sticked Open So Now It Needs A New Clutch But Runs Start And Shifts Good But Doesn't Accelerate In Gear Due To The Bearing And Clutch Plate Open" - seller

Can anyone direct me where I can get the clutch replaced in the Houston area for a decent price and possible stick in a Stage 1 clutch while they are at it?

Thanks

houston area

You might want to let us know what side of Houston you are on, or what side the car is on due to how spread out Houston is.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

If the car is stock or near stock, you don't need "stage 1" anything. Furthermore, "stage 1" is a proprietary designation within a certain brand's offerings. One brand's "stage 1" may be far more aggressive than another's. Do yourself a favor and buy a brand new Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit. That's all you'll need. If you MUST give yourself an "upgrade", go for their next step up. Avoid any of that ebay junk like XTD or F1.
      Just keep in mind, a more aggressive clutch will give you no performance benefit whatsoever unless your engine is making enough power to require it. The more aggressive friction material will only wear the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces faster, requiring another clutch change sooner than a regular clutch would need. It won't make you go faster. It won't make you launch harder. It will transmit more shock to your transmission and engine. An aggressive clutch is like a magnum condom. It sounds impressive, but if you don't have the necessary equipment for it, it will offer no benefit, and poorer performance than a less impressive product. Stick with what is appropriate for your equipment.

Also, changing a clutch is fairly involved, but not actually difficult. It is easily done in an afternoon (or a weekend, if you're slow like me). Especially if you have a friend or two to help hold things or hand you tools. There are a few writeups on here. A professional will likely charge $300-$600 to do a clutch job.

When you (or your mechanic) refill the fluid, many people prefer GM Synchromesh (AC Delco Synchromesh now, I believe... get it at your local GM dealer) over Honda's current MTF. Either way, those are the two most popular fluids. Some other fancy stuff may be fine, but unnecessary. Cheaper stuff is likely to lead to grinding gears and accelerated synchronizer wear.

I'd be wary of other problems, as the seller's description seems like he/she knew absolutely nothing at all about the car.

Comment

Clutch sticked open?
        Maybe it's a hydraulic issue and not a clutch issue.

Runs, starts and shifts good, but doesn't accelerate in gear?
        How can the seller determine if it shifts good if they can't drive it?

Bearing and clutch plate open?
        Sounds like they diagnosed the car over the internet.

Can you ask the seller for a bit more detail and report back?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
        X