Swap done. Won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap done. Won't start

I finished a JDM h22 swap and tried to start the engine, could hear the fuel pump running. It would turn over and crank but would not start, At least it will crank.
    Could someone please tell me which is the number #1 on the distributor I know the firing order is 1-3-4-2 might have them all wrong. I'll start in after I get home from work today thanks.

I'm using the the JDM distributor housing with my A6 internals to have an external coil distributor
    Last edited by Old Dog 61; 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM.

Well I am getting fuel, the fuel rail is pressured and the plugs were wet with fuel. The coil is firing.... I tested it with a induction firing tester and by pulling the coil wire and watching it fire to a grounded area as it was cranking over. The plugs were firing very intermittently when I used my tester to check them.
    I then placed #1 cylinder TDC on the compression stroke, the timing mark on the flywheel lined up and the rotor is pointing to #1 on the distributor now that I found the correct wire placement. I'm thinking my distributor is faulty because of the erratic firing, I'll know more in a couple of days after I get a new one.

Comment

hmmm, sure you have the spark plug wires in the right order?

MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164408

And on the eight day God created Honda!

Comment

Originally posted by Cb3vtec View Post
        hmmm, sure you have the spark plug wires in the right order?
        Take a picture of your setup, you probably just have the wires in the wrong spot.

Comment

Sure thing as soon as I get home from work today, the order I have is 1-3-4-2
          for the firing order. The order I have the wires on the distributor is 3-4
          1-2
          I'l get a picture of it all and thanks

Comment

should be like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
              Sure thing as soon as I get home from work today, the order I have is 1-3-4-2
              for the firing order. The order I have the wires on the distributor is 3-4
              1-2
              I'l get a picture of it all and thanks

Don't need a pic. Just put them in the right place then go hit vtec.

Comment

My previous post didn't come out the way It was intended I do have the wires
                3-4
                1-2
                My post did not come out the way it was supposed to, my boss was coming in and just had to post and leave no chance to preview it
                I have the distributor order and the plug wires just as your picture shows but no start I just walked in, as soon as I can I'll get pictures in the next 1/2 hour.

Comment

Well I got side tracked... started working on the car and I FOUND IT
                  I just started over with the basics because I knew I was F'ed. So I went over all I had done to try to start it. I made a mistake on finding #1 so this time I used my compression gauge, once it started to build pressure I took the gauge off and found TDC. Turned out my distributor was 180 degrees out but wouldn't bolt up the other way. When I combined the two distributors to make an external coil distributor, I made sure the indexing mark on the bottom was lined up properly but..... I had the shaft out of time 180 degrees.

It started first turn of the key but revved really high I shut it off immediately not wanting to damage the engine.
                  I did not set the TPS I just put it on I tried to put the tab into the slot on the throttle body and I think I did.
                  Would having it way out of adjustment would it cause it to rev high? I next have to read up on how to set the TPS, I really want to drive it.

new event:
                  It starts and will idle now... but in about 3 minutes it starts smoking and continues to smoke till it FILLS my garage and it's oil smoke two quarts plus worth of oil smoke, nothing leaking I crawled underneath with a flashlight and looked. I shut it off came in here slammed my head in the door and posted up this call for some HELP...I'm going to have a drink now.
                  Last edited by Old Dog 61; 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I just started over with the basics because I knew I was F'ed. So I went over all I had done to try to start it. I made a mistake on finding #1 so this time I used my compression gauge, once it started to build pressure I took the gauge off and found TDC. Turned out my distributor was 180 degrees out but wouldn't bolt up the other way. When I combined the two distributors to make an external coil distributor, I made sure the indexing mark on the bottom was lined up properly but..... I had the shaft out of time 180 degrees.

It started first turn of the key but revved really high I shut it off immediately not wanting to damage the engine.
                    I did not set the TPS I just put it on I tried to put the tab into the slot on the throttle body and I think I did.
                    Would having it way out of adjustment would it cause it to rev high? I next have to read up on how to set the TPS, I really want to drive it.

new event:
                    It starts and will idle now... but in about 3 minutes it starts smoking and continues to smoke till it FILLS my garage and it's oil smoke two quarts plus worth of oil smoke, nothing leaking I crawled underneath with a flashlight and looked. I shut it off came in here slammed my head in the door and posted up this call for some HELP...I'm going to have a drink now.
                    no the tps(in my experience) has always made it bog really bad, i belive you have to set it to .5V closed throttle and 4.5V wide open
                    normally the really high idle can be caused by the FITV

Comment

new event:
                      You should make a new post for this one.

Is it definitely oil burning/smoke (I'm sure you are know the difference)? Did you overfill it? Did you check your oil level? Is it coming out of the tailpipe?

It could be something really simple - like the oil cooler o-ring that resides behind the oil filter. Its a $2 seal that a lot of H22 swappers neglect that has the capability to dump oil directly on your downpipe. Could be double gasket(ed) oil filter,

Don't sweat the small shite. Its probably something easy. Check your oil level first then just find where the leak is coming from (assuming your poor engine isn't dumping that all out the exhaust, that would not be good).
                      Last edited by noahrexion; 03-08-2012, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I'll have to make a new thread but to answer you:
                        I put almost 5 Qt. because I figure the system was dry.
                        It was between the fill marks towards the top.
                        It is coming from the tail pipe.
                        Replaced the oil cooler O-ring and new oil pressure sensor.
                        I went under the car with a flashlight and looked all around and no oil anywhere

When I pulled the exhaust manifold off to put the header on I noticed that ALL of the exhaust ports were caked with black real thick like cake icing.

Comment

Time to do a leak down test, sorry dude.

Comment

how is the compression?

Comment

Well I have learned some things and I believe all is well.
                              It did take 1 1/2 quarts to fill it up to between the holes on the dipstick, I called Steve at HMO and he had some answers.
                              We talked and he made some suggestions and one of them was to change the PCV valve and grommet if it did not fit well. I had cleaned it but not replace it also didn't fit the grommet it was loose.
                              I replaced the PCV hose, PCV valve, and the grommet I next pulled the plugs to check them and they were fine. Then I pulled the down pipe to see if it had oil slime all down the inside from burning and leaking oil inside of it.....it did not. My A6 when it started to burn oil suddenly, the oil was POURING out of the exhaust and down the exhaust manifold (This is why I am doing an H22 swap) and why I was so
                              stressed out about the oil smoke from the tail pipe and the loss of oil from the crankcase.

Steve said to me that all of his engines are compression tested, leak down tested, AND all cylinders are are well oiled before storage. He also said that it would smoke at least the first 100-200 miles and that it was not uncommon.
                              I also never thought about the oil pump being empty, the oil passages,being empty, and the filter being empty after you start the engine and they ALL fill and run for a while you'll be 1+ quarts low. When I saw the blue smoke and smelled oil and saw I was low on the dip-stick I just knew I was back where I started and I was bummed out.
                              After replacing the 1 1/2 quarts I ran the engine 15 minutes it began to smoke in about 8-10 minutes but it was not blue and did not smell of oil.I shut it off and checked the oil level 3 hours later and it was the same as when I filled it no change.
                              Boy do I feel better now
                              Just need to run it to burp the air out of the cooling system set the base Idle and check that the cooling fans come on

Comment

Working...
                              X