Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Crank pulley separated into two pieces!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank pulley separated into two pieces!!!!!!

Anyone have this happen before? I'm at a total loss!

I was just driving normally, all of a sudden the battery light comes on, power steering goes dead and the motor starts rattling like crazy

I pull over, the belts are all off the accessories and the pulley is in two pieces (the big ring has separated from the main body)

Now my question is, would it be safe to get one off another car or do I have to buy a brand new one? Also how hard would the job be with hand tools?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post

I was just driving normally, all of a sudden the battery light comes on, power steering goes dead and the motor starts rattling like crazy

I pull over, the belts are all off the accessories and the pulley is in two pieces (the big ring has separated from the main body)

Now my question is, would it be safe to get one off another car or do I have to buy a brand new one? Also how hard would the job be with hand tools?
    Wow pic? That’s crazy. And it’s not that hard to do by hand. Just undo the drive side mount and drop the motor down little bit so you can have more work room. Just like a t-belt job but you don’t have to mess with the t-belt or anything. Either use a pulley holder and a big breaker bar/impact gun, (or crow bar in the timing whole*carefully placed* to stop the crank from moving) as for a crank pulley...I would think a used one would be fine...but...yours did just come apart ...so that’s something you will have choose loll, I would get a used one but that’s me
    Last edited by baracuda; 12-31-2009, 01:50 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

if the second half of the pulley is still in the motor
      put some pb blaster on the bolt and start the car
      harmonics will make the PB penetrate

lock the flywheel/flexplate and take it off
      get another one from a used car (save money)
      inspect it (backside) if it looks good put it on

i've seen this happen 4 times it suck
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
        if the second half of the pulley is still in the motor
        put some pb blaster on the bolt and start the car
        harmonics will make the PB penetrate

lock the flywheel/flexplate and take it off
        get another one from a used car (save money)
        inspect it (backside) if it looks good put it on

i've seen this happen 4 times it suck
        When u say lock the flywheel/flexplate, u mean I can just stand on the brake in gear and unscrew it?

And I am somewhat glad to know this is a regular thing; I didn't even know this was possible. The motor is relatively low mileage (120K)

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I never heard of it happening.. scary stuff.

The crank pulley bolt is on there.

I would get the crank pulley bolt tool from Honda. Perhaps you can find someone that would let you borrow one.

Comment

Yaw, don't panic it happens. At least it wasn't the timing belt. Just pb blast the 19mm bolt. Then try to remove it.. but its not easy with out a crank pulley tool. Maybe alvin has one. But remove it put a used one in and maybe new belts

Comment

When u say lock the flywheel/flexplate, u mean I can just stand on the brake in gear and unscrew it?

And I am somewhat glad to know this is a regular thing; I didn't even know this was possible. The motor is relatively low mileage (120K)
              you have to use a pulley holding tool or get a smaller prybar that fits in the timing hole. place it between some teeth SLOWLY crank on the bolt till the prybar wont move any more then crank on the bolt and it should break loose. i wish i had pics to show you but i dont.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Ahhh , couldn't you just leave it in gear and torque that off ?
                This is what i did to tighten mine when the bolt backed out. Use 5th gear obviously.

Comment

It is a common occurrence caused by age. It has less to do with mileage than age, as the rubber damper ring dries, cracks and then fails.

Should be a routine maintenance item about every 200-250K or so, which for most people would have been 1 replacement. Periodic inspection is a good idea.

Hopefully, you can find a crank pulley tool which will make it a fairly simple job.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I've had this happen to me lik about 2weeks ago. I think it was casued by the crank pulley rubbing on the bar right by the crank pully. ( i forgot the name of it) you need the crank pulley tool and 19mm or have sum1 with a strong impact gun to take it off....

Comment

i was like 20 miles away from home when this happened to me. the car kept driving though. i was on the highway when it happened. i looked and saw that everything was still intact but the outer "ring" was sideways . the powersteeing belt? was about fall off.

Comment

a new pulley is about $80 if i remember correctly. i would get a new one, not used. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                          a new pulley is about $80 if i remember correctly. i would get a new one, not used. later.
                          $130+ shipping from Majestic. I guess I can't run from maintenance. I'll see how much it is new locally.

Comment

a good prybar

pry the flywheel, from the timing hole
                            hope you're strong
                            also whenever you sit on the breaker bar to unloosen the bolt be careful of your chin and your fender
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Working...
                            X