Auto Tensioner Swap to Manual Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Tensioner Swap to Manual Tensioner

I have been reading a lot of threads on here as well as the site "www.preludepower.com" about a "whining" noise coming from the Timing Belt area after doing the Manual Tensioner conversion.
    jhall250 on Prelude Power said this," I know I've covered this before. Long story short, Honda switched the manufacturer for their cam belts a few years ago. The new guys made belts that had slightly different pitch teeth than the stock one; the result is a noise that sounds like a super charger. The noise will get less noticeable as the new belt wears into the existing grooves the old belt left. It's nothing to be worried about and if it persists to a point where you get really bothered, take it back to the dealer, tell them about the improper belt (information came from an engineer at Honda) and tell them you want a new one that won't make the same noise."

Is that statement relevant?

I also read that the Balancer Belt being too tight could also cause the noise.

I am waiting on my H & I was going the route of of the Manual Tensioner but I keep reading these weird stories.
    Last edited by G. Wiffington; 08-11-2017, 04:26 PM.
    Keep Pushing..

Most likely an over tightened belt. Another sign that it is over tightened it will start to walk off the gears. You can prevent this with a walk blocker from KStuned.com. My belt is just slightly over tightened and it walked out just to the edge of the gears but not over them at all. It also doesn't have any whine to it before or after it broke in. It's an OEM Honda belt.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

That is what I was thinking, over tightening..but another thing I was curious about is that every thread I have read about that whining, the person performed the manual tensioner conversion. I also have read that it seems like the timing belt is a pain to get on with the manual conversion due to how tight the belt is. To the point where people say they could barely put it on as well as when not being able to put more tension on the belt because it is already extremely tight. Is that a coincidence? Are the tensioners larger in diameter with the H23 manual tensioner conversion?

Sorry, just trying to understand why I read so many threads about this issue.
      My buddy is a Honda mechanic & when I asked him about a new TB making a whine he said that it should not.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
        That is what I was thinking, over tightening..but another thing I was curious about is that every thread I have read about that whining, the person performed the manual tensioner conversion. I also have read that it seems like the timing belt is a pain to get on with the manual conversion due to how tight the belt is. To the point where people say they could barely put it on as well as when not being able to put more tension on the belt because it is already extremely tight. Is that a coincidence? Are the tensioners larger in diameter with the H23 manual tensioner conversion?

Sorry, just trying to understand why I read so many threads about this issue.
        My buddy is a Honda mechanic & when I asked him about a new TB making a whine he said that it should not.
        Not really sure when you convert to a manual tensioner from the F22Ax/H23A1. I cut apart my auto tensioner, threaded it and stuck a bolt in, then bolted it back into place and used the bolt to tighten the belt. Something like the one KStuned.com sells just homemade. So I'm assuming when converting to the H23/F setup you lose some of the room.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I read on the Prelude site that from the H22 TB tensioner looked smaller in diameter than the H23 TB tensioner that is used in the swap.
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
          X