Both radiators fan cut on when engine cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both radiators fan cut on when engine cold

I got a 92 accord ex coupe 5 speed. Both of my radiator fans cut on when cold then will cut off after 30 seconds or so then both cut on again 30 seconds later. It is kind of erratic after that with one cutting of or on well before reaching 135 or 165. Whichever temps they are suppose to cut on. What could be causing this. As i thought it is suppose to get much hotter to cut on. Like around 165. ECT sensor maybe. This could be causing my gas mpg problem also. Anyone know?

One of the fans is the compressor fan, so if both are cutting on at the same time you may have a short. Are you running the A/C when they are cutting on?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
      One of the fans is the compressor fan, so if both are cutting on at the same time you may have a short. Are you running the A/C when they are cutting on?
      Yes A/C is ussually on. I had just disconnected my ecm and the fuses after pulling out ecm. So it might of been that . I read one cuts on at 135F and the other varies from 165F. Is this correct. I do see them cut on sometimes well below this. I probably need to clean those ECT sensors. Probably been never cleaned in 26 years or replaced. Am guessing just cleaning the tips off would make them like new? What u think? Or anyone else think?

Comment

Ok so monitored them again. Started car with A/C on and both fans cut on and off continously as my compressor cuts on and off. Is this Normal? So then i cut A/C off. Fans stayed off until water temp got to 195 and then they both cut on for a short period of time. Is this Normal. I read something different and now am confused.

Comment

Totally normal, dude.

Fan function with AC is supposed to happen. The fans turn on to dissipate heat from the refrigerant flowing through the condenser.

Fans should come on with AC off around 195 degrees. Cleaning won't make anything like new. Heat cycles damage components over time, and the only way to make them like new is to replace. The sensors work through resistance. I'll find a link for you.

Edit: Can't find a link. The sensor basically tells the fan to turn on at a given resistance put out at 195 degrees.
          Last edited by F22Chris; 08-28-2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Totally normal, dude.

Fan function with AC is supposed to happen. The fans turn on to dissipate heat from the refrigerant flowing through the condenser.

Fans should come on with AC off around 195 degrees. Cleaning won't make anything like new. Heat cycles damage components over time, and the only way to make them like new is to replace. The sensors work through resistance. I'll find a link for you.

Edit: Can't find a link. The sensor basically tells the fan to turn on at a given resistance put out at 195 degrees.
            Ok so exactly how they are supposed to work. Thanks. 195 they both cut on and or having ac on turns them both on also. I thought i did see them alternate being on with ac on before so that confused me. I probably didn't even think about my ac being on though so who knows what i seen. How tight do those sensors go in? I replaced the ect sensor under distributor. I didn't apply more than 16 lbs of torque probably. My book doesn't show torque values on those so didn't know. Figured it being a water seal and going into thin aluminum it didn't need to be too tight.

Comment

Working...
            X