DCB7 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
    I see a build thread about too happen. can't wait to see the progress.
    With help from this forum it just might. It would be my first and a slow build.

My other option is to change the head gasket and sell it at a very reasonable price. If I could be sure that's all it was. And hold on for a cam and tune on the a1 which is running well.

Still building the head at least is very tempting
    I did take a peek inside, expecting to see sludge and murky oil

I don't think I've seen a head straight off a car so clean
    Is it supposed to look grey like that? It almost looks painted.

I rubbed my finger against the inside walls and it came back bone dry, and odorless

Even the valve cover looks like its never seen oil. I don't know if that's good or bad

Can't tell anything about the valves yet

Comment

Woah.. I think you might have hit the jackpot

Comment

At least the head looks great so far, nice and clean. Hopefully the rest of it, is just as nice.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by evalex View Post
          Woah.. I think you might have hit the jackpot
          man, that would be excellent

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
          At least the head looks great so far, nice and clean. Hopefully the rest of it, is just as nice.
          thanks. I'm getting my work area ready to pull the head off soon. I need a prelude manual too. I'm sure there's a PDF of it floating around on the internet, that's how I have my f22 manual.

I haven't been able to catch up with the prev. owner to ask more questions, but he said he just really wanted a H, and it would still start before they pulled the motor, so i'm holding on to that with both hands.
          They're already done with the H swap too. (The guy he did the swap with had a badass eg hatch with a K in it. Really impressive. I asked him how big that TB was, and he said 90mm ) I should have got a picture.

Comment

a6 camshaft

had it stored for a couple years

I have an idea how to swap it in

then I saw this

that's after an initial wipe off. I'm going to try a couple delicate procedures to shine them up

Comment

Bro, where did you find the gaskets for the intake, plenum, etc? I have a vacuum back there and it's due for a refresh.

Looks great man, seriously!

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
              - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

Thanks man. Work in progress, you know

I got it on ebay, basic Victor Reinz gaskets (they probably been making them since the cars were new) from a top rated company, like 99.8%. You have to look at the pictures tho, because the part number for the a1 and a6 gaskets are the same. Also, I had to buy 2 sets because the a6 set for some reason only came with one upper plenum gasket. And it still came up to less than 30 bucks for both. If you have a f22a1 you only need one set.

Comment

Those cam lobes should be good to go with fine emery cloth and oil.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                    Thanks man. Work in progress, you know

I got it on ebay, basic Victor Reinz gaskets (they probably been making them since the cars were new) from a top rated company, like 99.8%. You have to look at the pictures tho, because the part number for the a1 and a6 gaskets are the same. Also, I had to buy 2 sets because the a6 set for some reason only came with one upper plenum gasket. And it still came up to less than 30 bucks for both. If you have a f22a1 you only need one set.
                    Thanks bro, ordered the A1 set and I'll be getting to it in good time. Interested to see where you end up with this swap. If it's not going in the CB, at least throw it in the lawn mower. lol.

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
                    - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

This looks good man! Keep up the work!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                        This looks good man! Keep up the work!
                        Thank you sir. I appreciate it. Trying to dress the stocker up a little. I'm also enjoying the slight bump in power. With the pt6 ecu I can feel that there is more to access in there, so I'm going to swap in the a6 cam. And maybe a new graphic for the valve cover

Originally posted by khal.lawson View Post
                        Thanks bro, ordered the A1 set and I'll be getting to it in good time. Interested to see where you end up with this swap. If it's not going in the CB, at least throw it in the lawn mower. lol.
                        LOL, when he saw the new engine he already has dibs on the old one, lol.
                        I got 3 cuts out of the mower already. We're going open filter and 93 gas next time
                        I've decided to keep the F22b for now, I like the idea of re-building the head (its such a perfect fit) and gaining 30hp off the bat, with the intake upgrades I would like to see what I make. It was just a deal out of the blue I couldn't pass up, I had no idea how similar they were.
                        I did plan to tune the car up some, but still keep the 'purity' of the original engine something along these lines:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166695
                        as well as Hondafan81's red build and jdm_accorn's, showing the potential of the F22. But I guess it still is a F22. So no selling out there, lol.
                        It looks like this engine (f22b dohc) was a prototype for the H's

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                        Those cam lobes should be good to go with fine emery cloth and oil.
                        Thanks, it actually wasn't too bad, mostly surface. I used a 3M scotch pad with oil. It scuffed it up a little

Not much worse than the other lobes. I was planning to use a little Mother's polish to smooth it, but I just left if as is for now. What do you think?

^A few spots were below the surface. I don't think it's enough to cause a crack or chip off
                        Last edited by DCB7; 10-06-2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Looks good. You should enjoy it once you finally get it in the car!

Comment

thanks Do you mean the a6 cam, or the f22b head? or both, lol.

As far as the cam, I'm thinking to get two flat, strong strips of metal (like 24"x1"x.5") to rest on the top of the engine head, through the cam sprocket spokes on either side, and rest on the engine mount bracket. Along with some zipties and bungee cords attached to the hood, to keep tension on the timing belt while I swap the cam. I looked at the cam gear at TDC and the spokes line up perfect for doing this.
                            (I don't want to go through the trouble of changing the timing belt now if I'm going to be changing the head in the near future. But I still want to use the a6 cam before I do, I put it off for so long)

Comment

I was just referring to the cam itself. The head upgrade will be fun too, once you've gotten that far.

Comment

Definitely
                                I plan to do a dyno pull after the cam, to see how much all this amounts to for me

Comment

Working...
                                X