Group Buys Going Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group Buys Going Forward

This forum has had multiple group buys proposed and successfully executed over the past three years. We've had multiple for John @ ESP and his high-quality traction bars, strut bars and now T-brackets. We've also had a very popular one with the guys at FFC with their billet rear LCAs. The most recent one we did was with Cheddas Auto and their rear top hats. That was fairly successful and with a very short time span relative to the others. Even a few members here were a part of the Vibrant header group buy that was organized on Facebook.

My point is that despite the waning popularity of these cars as a whole, something really cool has been happening. Years ago we would tell ourselves that we just had to weather the storm of idiots knowing that a day would come when the kids who bought these cars as junkers and wanted to throw coilovers and XXRs on them, would finally run them into the ground and move onto something else. Ever since the closure of the Facebook group, this forum's population has seemed to take on a new life as those of us who are truly dedicated to the chassis and those who are just starting, but doing so with some level of seriousness.

As there won't be any scenario for a large-scale company to generate any new products for this car with any expectation of making a profit, we'll have to turn to either universal parts or begin to make them ourselves. Each option requires creativity, but that's something we're likely not concerned with if we still have a '93 Accord in 2016.

So what I want to know is if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for parts that this chassis needs that we could send to some of these smaller fab shops to have made for us. We've proven that the market is there in the group buys and the market certainly isn't getting better for this car on its own. Let's come up with a few things we've been thinking about that you think might do well in a group buy setting.

I'll list some criteria for your response.

What do you want made?
    What would the benefit be?
    Would it be specific to this chassis, or would it be adaptable to others?
    Would this be something the average consumer could afford?
    Does anything on the market exist that functions similarly?

I'll give two examples for a couple of new things I'm thinking of.

I'd like an alternator bracket made that fits in the OEM location that fits a J-series alternator. I'd also like a TIG-welded airbox made similar to the ARC box that incorporates a catch can and coolant overflow.

What do you want made? I'd like an alternator bracket made that fits in the OEM location that fits a J-series alternator.
    What would the benefit be? Ability to use an OEM-quality, low-priced, 140A alternator. Would also be lighter weight as well as an aesthetic improvement.

Would it be specific to this chassis, or would it be adaptable to others? It would be compatible with any F/H-series engine. You could also make it with two different bolt patterns so that it could be made to relocate the alternator or use in factory location.

Would this be something the average consumer could afford? Yes, easily. Innovative and ESP have already made alternator brackets affordable. Their offerings seem to have a larger market, but add $30 to the price tag to cover the smaller quantity and I think it's feasible.

Does anything on the market exist that functions similarly? There are some that relocate the alternator which allow for a lighter weight over the OEM bracket, however none of them will allow use of the J-series alternator.

What are you guys wanting made?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

At this moment I can't think of anything I want made, but I'm seriously considering designing a coilover kit tuned specifically for our chassis. Depending on the route I go the kit would cost anywhere from 1200-1600. Maybe even cheaper if I could get bulk deals on components. Curious if anyone would actually be interested in that?
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

What do you want made? I have been looking into having the top plastic bracket for sedan/wagon rear window regulators remanufactured.

What would the benefit be? Most rear window regulators fail because the part of this bracket that guides the cable fails. I have been able to rebuild regulators with brackets from other regulator (non working for some other reason).

Would it be specific to this chassis, or would it be adaptable to others? Specific to CB7/9 as far as I know (maybe similar to CD?).

Would this be something the average consumer could afford? I believe so. Thanks for the reminder - I need to get an intact one to a local place that can scan it a create a model from which the piece could be 3D printed.

Does anything on the market exist that functions similarly? Aftermarket window motor/regulators, but based on people coming to me for OEM ones, they don't last long.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

What do you want made?

I would like to have all weather floor mats. Similar to weathertech's laser measured floor liner, exact fit all weather rubber floor mats. Front and rear.

The benefit would be that we don't have to wear down our nice clean oem discontinued floor mats..

It would be specific for the cb7/9 [1,3,6,8] chassis. However would also fit the cd5/ce1 chassis without any trimming

Yes, I believe so. Weather techs laser measured floor liner averages about $180. Not the regular accord owner will buy that, but we do have a handful here that would purchase it.

Not the exact fit mats. We have universal mats that do not cover the entire carpet/floor mat.

Comment

There was a thread back in 2014 that discussed this. It prompted me to call them and discuss what the first steps of a group buy might be. I was essentially told that they would need assurance of 10,000 customers. I told the lady on the phone that there was no way they had that many customers for each type of mat that they make. Her response was to tell me that is what the company tells prospective customers. Effectively, they're not interested.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

What do you want made?
            A lightweight H22 PS bracket.

A drastic reduction in weight and a nice look (especially if done in chrome)

It would work with all cars that use a H22.

Sure.

No. I've looked, emailed, asked ESP and other companies. Seems people make a lot of brackets (ALT, mounts, etc.) but not this bracket.

Comment

I thought ESP did make a bracket like this. He posted about one on Facebook a while back after you had mentioned something similar here on the forum. I told him that you were interested and gave him your username here on the site.

Comment

ESP makes an alternator bracket that goes partially in place of the PS bracket but nothing for the PS exclusively. I'm looking at actually purchasing the raised alternator bracket from them.
                MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                X