Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22 Special cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Special cams?

Is there a specific reason companys modify the entire camshaft?
    Such as the Primary, Secondary and VTEC lobes

Is there a way to have Custom cams with just the VTEC lobe modified?
    It would be neat to have the gas mileage of a stock motor, yet have more power than stock at VTEC
    Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
    Is there a specific reason companys modify the entire camshaft?
    Such as the Primary, Secondary and VTEC lobes

Is there a way to have Custom cams with just the VTEC lobe modified?
    It would be neat to have the gas mileage of a stock motor, yet have more power than stock at VTEC
    im sure if you contacted a company that made customs cams, they could do something like that

Comment

Yes...

This is doable, but not optimal, as you will almost surely have a dip in power before vtec, or have vtec engage very low.

So to answer your original question, yes there is a reason why they modify both.

Good gas mileage is obtainable with cams, and a good tune. As long as your doing anything too drastic.

If you want increased performance without a major loss in fuel economy look into intake manifold, header / exhaust and valve job upgrades as these mods reduce pumping losses and increase engine efficiency.

Also increasing compression.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
        This is doable, but not optimal, as you will almost surely have a dip in power before vtec, or have vtec engage very low.

So to answer your original question, yes there is a reason why they modify both.

Good gas mileage is obtainable with cams, and a good tune. As long as your doing anything too drastic.

If you want increased performance without a major loss in fuel economy look into intake manifold, header / exhaust and valve job upgrades as these mods reduce pumping losses and increase engine efficiency.

Also increasing compression.
        Dip? Im not talking a Gigantor lobe, possibly a little more than the Type-S
        I guess, Ill get my JDM cams re-ground for the Type-S on the low side, then modified on the VTEC
        CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

You'll receive far better answers talking directly with camshaft companies for the product you seek than on this forum. I'm sure they have something you're looking for, it is not a unique request.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Crower once had a "Stage 1.5" cam that was basically a "Stage 1" non-VTEC lobe and a "Stage 2" VTEC lobe. I wanted that for the same reasons. I'm not sure if they still offer it.

Ghetto_CB7 is absolutely right... there will most certainly be a dead spot at the transition. However, if you aren't going for optimal performance, and just looking for a fun car to drive, then such a design wouldn't be bad. Hell, I keep my VTEC crossover at the stock point so I can feel it... I know smooth is better, but the "kick" is fun. I drive my car for my own enjoyment, not a timeslip... so I'll sacrifice that little bit of performance for something that I like feeling.

I would call up Web Cams. I believe they would do custom grinds. They have a very good reputation, and they are not obscenely priced. However, before you call... be sure you do some research so you know what you're talking about. They're going to want to know the specifics of the custom grind you're asking for, and they're not going to want to teach you what it all means.

Comment

we can design a custom camshaft like that for you if you really are interested in going that route. As stated above, there will be a noticeable dip right before VTEC. It is up to the skill level of your tuner to determine if it is possible to eliminate the dip that occurs.

Hope this helps and please feel free to give us a call here at 888-922-6686 if you would like to know more about what we can do for you

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
                Dip? Im not talking a Gigantor lobe, possibly a little more than the Type-S
                I guess, Ill get my JDM cams re-ground for the Type-S on the low side, then modified on the VTEC
                FYI, the difference between stock H22 cams and Type-S cams is actually quite huge I looked into measurements last year when I planned to upgrade to a set of Type-S cams, and found out that they have more aggressive lobes than Crower Stage 2 cams! For the VTEC portion anyways, not 100% sure about the non-VTEC portion. I'll see if I can dig up the measurements, and I'll post them here when I do find it..

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                  FYI, the difference between stock H22 cams and Type-S cams is actually quite huge I looked into measurements last year when I planned to upgrade to a set of Type-S cams, and found out that they have more aggressive lobes than Crower Stage 2 cams! For the VTEC portion anyways, not 100% sure about the non-VTEC portion. I'll see if I can dig up the measurements, and I'll post them here when I do find it..

Ronald
                  Awesome man,
                  I know that the USDM, Normal JDM, Type-S/Euro-R all have different cam profiles.
                  The USDM H22A1 cannot accept the Type-S cams, it ruins the head.
                  The JDM H22A Cams are slightly more agressive (more compression)
                  Then the Type-S from what I read, are not a whole lot higher than the JDM

Originally posted by justin@bisimoto View Post
                  we can design a custom camshaft like that for you if you really are interested in going that route. As stated above, there will be a noticeable dip right before VTEC. It is up to the skill level of your tuner to determine if it is possible to eliminate the dip that occurs.

Hope this helps and please feel free to give us a call here at 888-922-6686 if you would like to know more about what we can do for you
                  Once more money starts flowin to me, I will definately give u guys a call
                  CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

So people know

Just so people know.

The h22a4 head is the same casting as the h22 type s and f22b head. So as long as you switched valve train the head should be ok.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Working...
                    X