Valve lash on Extreme mileage heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve lash on Extreme mileage heads

I have a head on my 4 door that has roughly 340,000.
    I set all the valve lash to factory spec and it TICKS.
    I tried useing the loosest specs...it was loud, I tried useing the tightest specs. Its Louder.

When I got the head some doof had the valve lash set to NONE.
    Idled like a champ!
    The engine wouldnt rev past 5K unless in neutral.
    However the idle was whisper quiet and it was smooooooth.

Should I go for a tighter lash?
    I mean it sounds like one rocker is waaaay out of adjustment. But I have checked them time and time again.
    Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
    I have a head on my 4 door that has roughly 340,000.
    I set all the valve lash to factory spec and it TICKS.
    I tried useing the loosest specs...it was loud, I tried useing the tightest specs. Its Louder.

When I got the head some doof had the valve lash set to NONE.
    Idled like a champ!
    The engine wouldnt rev past 5K unless in neutral.
    However the idle was whisper quiet and it was smooooooth.

Should I go for a tighter lash?
    I mean it sounds like one rocker is waaaay out of adjustment. But I have checked them time and time again.
    Do you have an oil psi gauge? If so, what's your psi cold start, heat soaked idle, heat soaked 3k rpms?

With that many miles you probably need to run 10w40.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Also keep in mind that they all have some noise. I've yet to have someone open the hood on their cb7 and they didn't have some lifter tick. All you can do is tighten them down to within specs and learn to live with it. There's a lot of activity going on underneath the VC, and aluminum isn't known for it's sound insulating qualities. I'd worry more if you didn't hear anything.

Comment

Part of the reason there is clearance is to account for thermal growth of the valves relative to the head and rocker assembly. The valves are exposed to combustion temperatures (particularly the exhaust valves) and are not direcly cooled like the head, so the valves actually get a little longer and reduce the clearance. If you set them with no clearance when the engine is cold, they may not close completely when the engine is hot, leading to performance problems and potentially burning a valve. You should notice that there is probably less noise once the engine is completely to operating temperature vs. when is it just started. I wouldn't set them any closer than the minimum recommendation.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

[QUOTE=fleetw00d;2651614]Part of the reason there is clearance is to account for thermal growth of the valves relative to the head and rocker assembly. The valves are exposed to combustion temperatures (particularly the exhaust valves) and are not direcly cooled like the head, so the valves actually get a little longer and reduce the clearance. If you set them with no clearance when the engine is cold, they may not close completely when the engine is hot, leading to performance problems and potentially burning a valve. You should notice that there is probably less noise once the engine is completely to operating temperature vs. when is it just started. I wouldn't set them any closer than the minimum recommendation.[ the reason they still make noise when they are adjusted properly is the rocker arms are worn out where they pivot on the shaft that is where the tiking is comming from .......

Comment

Originally posted by old honda tek View Post
            the reason they still make noise when they are adjusted properly is the rocker arms are worn out where they pivot on the shaft that is where the tiking is comming from .......
            If you know the rockers are worn then the answer to your question of how to stop the ticking is replace your rockers with a low mileage assembly.
            My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

try looking for a low mileage head...parts wear out eventually...and 340k seems to me like you got your money's worth haha

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I paid $50 for the head. Its actually quiet when the engine starts. Then it gets loud when its warm. I got a nice jdm F20 im building with alot less mileage.
                CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
                  I paid $50 for the head. Its actually quiet when the engine starts. Then it gets loud when its warm. I got a nice jdm F20 im building with alot less mileage.

Switch to 5w40 or 10w40 and post back.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I use Rotella-T 15w-40. The engine is spotlessly clean inside.
                    It probally doesnt help it has a rod bearing clearance issue. {3K rod knock}

Ive decided to let it be. The engine has been ticking and knocking its way past 7,000 miles already. Pure gutless and it guzzles (20mpg) but Im getting to work.

Its amazing too, it still gets up to 100mph+ without flooring it.
                    I never floor it, anything over 3K just sounds like metal flying around.
                    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

Yeah your engine must have some pretty serious wear issues....just don't take any long trips. The rod bearing wear is likely what caused the excessive valvetrain noise. Your best bet is to start looking for a low mileage replacement engine.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                        Yeah your engine must have some pretty serious wear issues....just don't take any long trips. The rod bearing wear is likely what caused the excessive valvetrain noise. Your best bet is to start looking for a low mileage replacement engine.
                        lol

Comment

Working...
                        X