No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took this video about 6 months ago. Was feelin' froggy one day and made some noise.

Comment

Doing some work on this in the very near future.

Just purchased the following from Rock Auto:

FTK010113 Platinum Pro 19 gallon rear fuel tank, lock ring included

FST010016 Platinum Pro rear fuel tank straps

IIL Universal fuel level sending unit. Ford standard 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full.

So I'll have a working fuel gauge and be able to fill the tank without fuel leaking out.

Comment

A couple weeks ago I went outside to find that the passenger side front tire had gone flat. Luckily a local tire shop was able to fix it for me.

Comment

The new fuel tank and straps came it. It's going to be so nice to have a working fuel gauge and be able to utilize close to the whole 19 gallons of fuel.

Comment

I was wondering if you still had/were working on this thing! Glad to see you keeping at it.
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
              I was wondering if you still had/were working on this thing! Glad to see you keeping at it.
              Oh yeah! Drove it every day to work for the last... 8 months or so except for a hand full of days I drove the Talon.

Comment

Nice truck, i always liked that body year and the previous; I looked for one of those with a 351 for almost a year but i didnt find one at a reasonable price. I grew up in a family of Ford people, we had everything from f100/e100 to f450 as i was growing up.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Thanks Crankshaft! I grew up in a Ford family as well. We had various Fords. I learned to drive in a '73 F100 w/ 390 C6 9" 4:11's.

I didn't care for the Bullnose body style at first but it grew on me big time.

351W is a good motor. I'd own one that's for sure. I also would like one with a 300-6.

I'm looking for a Bullnose, 80-86 F150 2wd with a C6 and a 460. I want to make a hot street truck. I can't imagine my truck in a 2wd F150 chassis and a C6.

Comment

The last F series my dad had was a 73 F100 Ranger, he bought it and kept it at my uncle's house to hide it from all of us . The one before that was a stepside like yours with a cleveland engine that drank gas with an extreme thirst. He later got a 454 GMC and is now a Dodge owner

Comment

I'm a GM guy, generally, but I did spend a good amount of time trying to find a 7.3L IDI F350 before I wound up with my current Chevy crewcab. I still kinda want one, to be honest, but don't think the wife would approve two trucks, haha. I never did end up finding one in the combo I wanted.
                      Originally posted by sweet91accord
                      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        The last F series my dad had was a 73 F100 Ranger, he bought it and kept it at my uncle's house to hide it from all of us . The one before that was a stepside like yours with a cleveland engine that drank gas with an extreme thirst. He later got a 454 GMC and is now a Dodge owner
                        @ him hiding it. I've heard that the 351 is pretty thirsty too. I had a friend in HS with an 80's K10 that had a 454 with a turbo 400. Very neat truck. I'd like to have one.

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                        I'm a GM guy, generally, but I did spend a good amount of time trying to find a 7.3L IDI F350 before I wound up with my current Chevy crewcab. I still kinda want one, to be honest, but don't think the wife would approve two trucks, haha. I never did end up finding one in the combo I wanted.
                        I like a little bit of everything myself. I like the 7.3l myself. More so than any 6.0 although I do like the body style of the 6.0. Which there is like a couple years where you can have both. Finding a truck in the right combo is hard. When you find it typically they are either ragged out or the cost inflated.

Comment

He used to work at a Junk Yard, he told me that he had a deal with the owner before we came to live with him where he would watch the place at night due to high volume of robberies and instead he got to build his cars at a damn low price. That 351 he had was actually built by the owner for a car he used to race, high compression, aluminum heads, holley carb and a cam, i clearly remember my dad always trying to race his cousins and friends with that thing; hillarious thing though is that one night when they were out drinking a family member asked him how much he wanted for the truck and as we know drunk people do not make rational decisions and threw out a stupidly low number, next day dude showed up with cash in hand and my dad HAD to sell it(honor in my family is a very important thing). The GMC he had was a 91-92 with a 454 and a 4L80 and 8 lug setup, he used to get a whopping 8-9 MPG with that beast and he was no lead foot either, he ended up selling it for 4k to a guy that kept on bugging him about it. That 300 i6 you were talking about is a mule, it is the Energizer bunny of ford engines, its the same one used on cars and trucks; there are people racing those things now. I almost got a 68 plymouth satellite a couple months ago on an impulse but ended up opting out due to priorities even though i am and will be regreting it for ever, my wife is ok with pretty much any car i bring home(i call her Fast and Furious because of driving style). Sorry for the novel series.

Comment

Your good Crankshaft. What way to lose a truck! lol 8-9 is doing pretty good. I get 7. City, highway, pulling 5,000lbs, pulling 15,000lbs. 7mpg.

A video I took of this thing idling. Thought it sounded good one day after it sitting for a few weeks so I started recording.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 02-07-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I received the fuel level sending unit. I think it's going to work very nicely.

I'm going to use the fuel vapor fill valve hole or "emissions hole" in the top of the tank. The unit I bought, ran me $28.00 shipped, fit's almost like it's designed to go there.

The sending unit I bought is adjustable from 6" to 27". My tank is 7" in depth so that's perfect. I still have to shorten the rod per specs on the sheet and put a 90* in it but the sending unit is otherwise modified and ready to go in. I still need some self tapping machine screws to mount it. Might buy an assortment.

Comment

Does sound pretty good indeed, i recall my dad saying 460s were notorious for cracking headers(unless my mind is not carbureting right). I have a burning pasion for alot of things(fishing, woodworking, lawn care etc.) but there is something about cars, not really have allegiance to any manufacturer either; i try and learn everything i can about anything and even tend to obsess with it too. Funny fact, at one point me, my dad and my brother all had red trucks; mine was a Ford F150, my dad's is a Red Ram 1500 and my brother had a Red Chevy Silverado 1500. I gave mine to my younger brother, my dad will never get rid of his and my other brother sold his to his buddy for $600 whom in turn took it to a dealership as a trade in for a new truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X