EXT : CV Axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT : CV Axles

This is all the tools you need, if you happen to have an impact gun/air compressor. The sockets you see are: 19mm for the lug nuts, a 36mm axle nut socket, and a 17mm for all the other bolts.

You will need a ½” drive ratchet and a breaker-bar, if you don’t own the powaa tools.
    The axels are the same length for both sides, but one of them has a different spline pattern.

It is important that you note which side is which, once you remove the old one.

Remove the axel nut. Then locate and disconnect the ball joint.

Then you need to carefully remove the cotter pin, then remove the nut.

Take the big fork (ball joint splitter/pickle-fork) and wedge it where the bushing meets the mount. Use EXTREME care in placeing and holding the fork. If you tear the ball joint bushing, you have to replace the whole ball joint!!! Using the hammer, beat on the end of the fork until it pops the ball joint out of the mount.

Then remove the bolt from the lower strut fork, you usually need to hold the other side with a wrench while you break it loose from the other side.
    Last edited by LadyG; 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM.
    Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Your new axels should have come with new axels nuts. If so, put your old nut back on the axel you are removing, so you can beat on it. A few threads on will do. Beat that foul axle loose from the hub.

Once the axle is loose from the hub, move the strut fork over, so the shaft of the axel can drop through. Pull that clicking B@stard out.

Insert your new axels. Putting a little oil on the end on the spline shaft helps it get in easier.

The rest is the reverse of installation, except. The last thing you do before putting on the tires.

Get out the hammer and the flat head and bend part of the axels nut rim down, where there is a gap on the end of the axel. This “locks” that nut into place.
    Last edited by LadyG; 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

@
      "Beat that foul axle loose from the hub. "
      ha ha ha ha! And it looks like you didn't even get your shoes dirty.

Also, I love the victory photo in which you are holding the defeated axle up!
      Last edited by batever; 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Nice pics on the how-to, good info

btw are those shoes safety toed?

Comment

Safety Pinned...

Thanks guys!
          Last edited by LadyG; 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I was wondering what method you use to unstake the axle nut. (I usually back off the axle nut slightly to bend the tab a bit up, then rotate it back to the same position and try to lever it up with a screwdriver I filed down to a really narrow profile (on the pavement!) but it takes some effort and I would like to know a cleaner and easier method.

Comment

nice diy write up

Comment

Thank You!

@batever

Man, I used an impact gun.
                When I didn't have an impact, I used a big flat head screwdriver and a hammer, to bend the edge back up. I needed a breaker bar to loosten the axle nut.
                If I totally am off about what you were asking, sorry.
                I had a hard time understanding just what you were asking me.

Comment

I see you took my advice and did this in the beginner section lol.

You should note that this is for a manual an automatic dosent have the half shaft. I wonder if you can delete the half shaft and use an automatic axle?

Comment

Great instructions. I remember getting that axel nut off was a huge pain.

Comment

Using the fork to separate the ball joint is a bad idea. You're almost certain to rip the boot that way. If you rip the boot, you should replace the entire joint.

I'll move this to the DIY section once you've gotten 30 posts. I don't want to move your thread out of an area that you're able to post in! Remind me.

Comment

I will make an edit, that notes the EXTREME care that should be used in placing the fork, and what can happen if you rip that boot.

I am a very petite woman, sometimes I just have to git 'er done, as I am able. Man Muslces ftw.

Thanks, Deeve.

Comment

Nice DIY. I've found disconnecting the tie rod and spinning the knuckle out of the way helps too.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

[QUOTE=LadyG94CB7;2463826]Thank You!

@batever

Man, I used an impact gun.
                            When I didn't have an impact, I used a big flat head screwdriver and a hammer, to bend the edge back up. I needed a breaker bar to loosten the axle nut.
                            If I totally am off about what you were asking, sorry.
                            I had a hard time understanding just what you were asking me.[/QUOTE

That's what I was asking, you answered it--big flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                            X