INT : Trunk side panel light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : Trunk side panel light

[B]Well I love lights! I think I have more lights on anyone of the forum lmao. Im just a christmas tree!

So I already have a led in my stock trunk light. Its bright but I want it brighter! I have a bunch of tools and little stuff everywhere.

So I installed a 94-01 2dr Integra trunk light on my trunk side panel.

Parts and tools needed. About less than an hours work.

DC trunk light with plug
    trunk panel (stock cb)

flat head
    wire stripper/cutter
    box cutter
    paper
    pen/marker
    2 wires
    soldering iron
    shrink wrap
    electrical tape

So here is the trunk light

stock cb trunk panel (you can do it on anyside, I started with the driver rear)

You need to pull the panel out to access the back side.

Then pull down the back seat to access the trunk harness plug. I pin pointed the exact pins/wires to the stock trunk light so I will just draw the power from there so it will turn on once the trunk is open. hehe

The positive wire is the white wire with the blue stripe. Bottom row, 3rd wire across.

The negative wire is the green wire with black stripe. Bottome row, 5th wire across.

So you tap those 2 wires and run them in back of the panel to reach the trunk light plug.

Now that the wiring is done. You need to make a template for the light. I grabbed the only paper I had in the car and a box cutter/razor to make the template.

Its not perfect but it will do. Remember dont just make the template and trace it on the panel. Make the trace smaller. Its always better to start small and cut more then to have just a huge hole and not make it fit.

Then you just hold the template to where you will put the trunk light and trace it.

Now that its traced cut the panel with the box cutter/razor.

I had to cut a little more then the first cut but that was the idea so it sits perfect.

Now put the light on the panel and it clips in nice and tight.

Now plug the plug in the back of the light and test for voltage with the switch down (off)

Now flip the switch up (on)

Now that it works just put everything back together. I put another led light to make it even brighter then it should. I also closed the trunk with the switch up (on) peeked inside the back through the rear seat to make sure it was off and it was.

Pics of the working light

Now I plan on getting another dc2 light to put it on the passenger side rear trunk panel. Make it even more brighter..

The good thing about this then getting the oem light is that the dc light has the switch so you dont always have to have it lit when the trunk is open.

Comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks
    [B/]
    Last edited by excalibur02; 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM.

Ah. I like the switch. That's handy.

I got tired of my weak ass light too, but i replaced mine with an 1156 socket bulb.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Sweet! Good idea, great execution.

I took one of these hatchback lights and swapped it with the stock trunk light. Sometimes when I'm working on the car, I leave the trunk open for a really long time, and would rather have the light off.
      My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Good stuff, man!

Comment

Good stuff its always a pain when you need extra lighting but don't have a flashlight handy .

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
          Frost White Member 13
          My Ride
          "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

Maury, i dont wanna steal your thunder and i know you were probably going for OEM-styling but why not have put in an 8" or 10" neon tube with a rocker switch...?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
              Ah. I like the switch. That's handy.

I got tired of my weak ass light too, but i replaced mine with an 1156 socket bulb.
              Thanks! The switch made the deal for me lol! It could be done with an oem trunk light but I wanted to be different

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
              Sweet! Good idea, great execution.

I took one of these hatchback lights and swapped it with the stock trunk light. Sometimes when I'm working on the car, I leave the trunk open for a really long time, and would rather have the light off.
              Thanks! Yeah the switch is the best thing imo. I bet that light can replace the oem trunk light. Then you have the switch to turn it off lol.

Originally posted by True-BlueCB7 View Post
              Good stuff, man!
              Thanks!

Originally posted by icedplaya123 View Post
              Good stuff its always a pain when you need extra lighting but don't have a flashlight handy .
              Yup! I'm always looking for stuff and don't have enough light to see around the trunk.

Maury, i dont wanna steal your thunder and i know you were probably going for OEM-styling but why not have put in an 8" or 10" neon tube with a rocker switch...?

lol its all good. Different reasons. Didn't want to buy a switch and neon tube. I do like the oem look the most. The dc light was a 5 finger discount at a junk yard.. all the other stuff to make it work was already there for me. Didn't cost me anything but time...

Comment

Man this site should have rep-pionts lol . . You def would be getting some from me. .

Great DYI !

The Oem trunk light is def not Bright enough.

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Uh...lol. 10thAnn...go to his first post in this thread. There's a tiny scale at the bottom lefthand on the post...click on that.

Comment

Good stuff. I've seen this done on other places like the C-pillar. Extra lights are always cool.

Comment

Now if i could just find an Integra in my junkyards, lol.

Comment

fukin sick. thanks man

now do the other side.

bump for info.. fo all cb trunks come with a light???

my 1990 did. i have a 1993 now, and i dont see a trunk light.
                        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                          Good stuff. I've seen this done on other places like the C-pillar. Extra lights are always cool.
                          Lol yeah I got the acura vigor c pillar lights too, haven't installed them but will soon.

Now if i could just find an Integra in my junkyards, lol.
                          Yeah most of the time the tegs are stripped, but try craigslist and other teg part forums.

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                          fukin sick. thanks man

now do the other side.

bump for info.. fo all cb trunks come with a light???

my 1990 did. i have a 1993 now, and i dont see a trunk light.

Yeah I got the other dc light today. Local guy from craigslist. so I will install it tomorrow.

Kinda a newb question for you lol. All cbs came with trunk lights. Do you know where there located?? Look by where the 3rd brake light is. Your bulb might be burnt or maybe the previous owner removed it.
                          Last edited by excalibur02; 11-14-2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

It Mustve Been Removed. I Dont See Mine.

Im Interested In Seeing The Pillar Lights.

Koolio.
                            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Where do you get your LEDs at?

Very cool and useful DIY!

Comment

Working...
                              X