ENG : Alternator & Power Steering Belt Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG : Alternator & Power Steering Belt Replacement

This DIY is for those needing assistance with replacing their alternator/air conditioning compressor belt and/or their power steering belt.

Tools needed:

Ratchet
    Extension 3"
    Metric sockets, 10mm, 12mm & 14mm
    Wrench 12mm

Start by removing this 10mm bolt holding the cruise control unit to the chassis.

Loosen this 10mm bolt until you are able to slide the cruise control unit to the driver side releasing the unit from the chassis. The hose marked in green will stay with the cruise control unit.

Disconnect the cruise control vacuum line. The line will stay with the unit.

Disconnect the cruise control wiring harness.

The cruise control unit is now completely removed from the chassis and can now be moved out of the way.

Start by loosening the power steering pump bolt on top of the pump 4 complete turns.

Loosen the bottom 12mm power steering pump nut 2 complete turns.

Another view of the lower power steering pump bracket nut being loosened.

Loosen the power steering pump adjuster bolt. You may have to push down on the pump every few turns to see how much looser the adjuster bolt needs to be before the power steering belt will slide off the pulley.

With the power steering belt off the power steering pump pulley you will need to turn the wheels all the way to the left to access the 10mm splash shield bolt and remove it.

Once the 10mm bolt is out bend the splash shield back exposing the crankshaft pulley.

If the power steering belt has not dropped off the crankshaft pulley on its own pull it off and begin to remove from the bottom. You will need to turn the belt sideways to slide it between the A/C compressor clutch/pulley and the chassis.

Loosen the 14mm top alternator bracket bolt 4 complete turns.

Loosen the 12mm bottom alternator bracket nut 2 complete turns.

Loosen the 10mm alternator adjuster bolt. You may need to push down on the alternator every few turns to see how much more to loosen the adjuster bolt before the belt will slide off.

Once the alternator adjuster bolt has been loosened enough to remove the belt, proceed removing the belt. You will need to turn the belt sideways to remove it between the chassis and the A/C compressor and the crankshaft and the chassis.

The alternator belt is removed.

Begin installation of the alternator belt by feeding it up through the bottom. You will need to turn the belt sideways to slide it between the A/C clutch/pulley and the chassis, doing the same between the crankshaft pulley and the chassis.

Place the belt on the alternator pulley first, then the compressor clutch/pulley.

Go below and slide the alternator belt onto the crankshaft pulley. The alternator belt goes on the inside larger diameter pulley.

[B]Inspect all three pulleys to ensure they are installed correctly.

Once you are sure the belt is on the pulleys properly, begin tightening the alternator adjusting bolt. [B]

Below is an illustration showing proper belt deflection.

Print

Once you have achieved proper belt deflection, tighten the lower 12mm alternator bracket nut. I tightened the nut to what I believe to be 30ftlbs.

Tighten the top 14mm alternator bracket bolt. I tightened the bolt to what I believe to be 40ftlbs.

Your alternator belt is now installed.

You may now proceed with installing your power steering belt.

SAM_3241

You will need to feed the belt up from the bottom, turning the belt sideways to slide it between the chassis and the crankshaft pulley.

Place the belt on the power steering pump pulley. then go below and slide the belt onto the smaller diameter pulley like pictured below.

SAM_3259

SAM_3260

SAM_3256

Inspect both pulleys to ensure the belt is properly installed on both the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pulley.

Once you are certain the belt is installed properly, proceed with tightening the 10mm power steering adjuster bolt. Checking for proper defection every few turns.

SAM_3262

SAM_3263

Once you have achieved proper belt deflection, tighten the 12mm bottom power steering pump nut. I tightened mine to what I believe to be 30ftlbs.

Tighten the 14mm top power steering bolt. I tightened mine to what I believe to be 45ftlbs.

SAM_3222

Your power steering belt is now installed.

Put the 10mm bolt back in the splash shield.

e039a597-1916-4530-9389-12ac0686d6d6_zpsda16777a

c3307968-76d9-4032-a590-626b81229d30_zpsa8ad2943

Install the cruise control unit.

c8978b1e-d1f1-404d-acec-6cc85f8a7ed4_zpsf2fe9dae

c5a3218d-586d-4daa-b634-beb002c5d079_zps31757043

SAM_3275_zps331cf68d by jcarden405, on Flickr

That completes the procedure to install new alternator and power steering belts.

-
    -
    -
    Missing photos uploaded 10-22-2016.
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-23-2016, 12:39 AM.

Great DIY. Good pictures. I give you props you are doing your part to help the site.

I never thought to use a 12 wrench on the bottom alt nut. I use a 12mm socket and the shortest extension I have. It fits between the small space you have.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
      Great DIY. Good pictures. I give you props you are doing your part to help the site.

I never thought to use a 12 wrench on the bottom alt nut. I use a 12mm socket and the shortest extension I have. It fits between the small space you have.

steve
      Thank you! I try.

That bottom alt nut is a little tough. I could have went and got my swivel head ratchet and stuck a short 12mm on it but I didn't know how many people have a swivel head.

Comment

Revised.

Comment

Pictorial goodness!

Comment

Great DIY! Loving the pictures, something the manual doesn't show you 100% of which will help a lot of peeps.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              Pictorial goodness!
              Thank ya sir!

I know how we all like pics so I always take a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                Thank ya sir!

I know how we all like pics so I always take a bunch.
                Youre welcome Josh , and your pictures answered the mystery of where my alternator tensioner from the SE came from...power steering pump..interesting...i miss it sometimes but glad to have seen the hodge podge go on its way..the LX can be fully babied now lol. Wish this shit weather would go away though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  Great DIY! Loving the pictures, something the manual doesn't show you 100% of which will help a lot of peeps.
                  Thanks man! Didn't see your post before. It's much appreciated.

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  Youre welcome Josh , and your pictures answered the mystery of where my alternator tensioner from the SE came from...power steering pump..interesting...i miss it sometimes but glad to have seen the hodge podge go on its way..the LX can be fully babied now lol. Wish this shit weather would go away though.
                  I remeber you saying something about that. And CB's become your friend or like a memeber of your family rather.

This weather sucks man. Has for us here in the midwest for over a week now. I needta get shit done outside. Before it gets cold.

EDIT... I also forgot to mention. I'm making a kick ass DIY next year for the H22 swap. Start to finish every step like my 5 speed swap DIY. Along with a complete rebuild DIY as well for the H22. Separate of course. DIY's are fun as hell to me. Plus you have so many pictures along the way so you never get lost. It actually makes things easier in a way as for completing the work.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-15-2014, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Damn that's alot pics. Must've taken a lot of time

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                      Damn that's alot pics. Must've taken a lot of time
                      Nope. Not at all. Slapped it together. 5 speed conversion DIY was the same.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204130

Wham bam thank ya ma'am. Not that I have the slightest clue as to what I'm doing, because I don't. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Damn, I sucked. Sucky camera, sucky descriptions. Oh well. I guess we all tend to look back and shake our heads from time to time. If I replace the belts on my 93 lx I'll update the thread with pics that don't look like they were taken in 2003.

Anyhow, pictures that were missing I put back up. Luckily I still had them on my puter. GTRON, here ya go man. Sorry it took so long.

Comment

Working...
                        X