Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CAM 2016 Photos ft the CarbonAccord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAM 2016 Photos ft the CarbonAccord

No its not vinyl wrap.

Last year we had the looks... this year we'll have the power! braaaaaap stutututu!
    Last edited by Carbonaccord; 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM.

Beautiful execution is any of it full CF or is it all wrapped?

*it wouldn't even be half as impressive if the rest of the car itself wasn't in immaculate condition

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
      Beautiful execution is any of it full CF or is it all wrapped?
      little disclaimer here Bunta.. out in the aftermarket world the word full carbonfiber doesnt exist.. it actually all fiberglass with a skimpy little layer of cosmetic carbon fiber on top and the appropriate composition of polyester resins. some companies clear coat their stuff to prevent resin oxidation (nasty yellowing) some don't. there are different resin types and strengths/properties as well. anyhow, All of our favorite carbon brands ( VIS, Seibon, Carbon Creations etc. all follow this practice in which parts are not 100% solid carbon) this is 90% the case with carbonfiber parts on the market unless explicitly noted.

Well why the hell do they do this? the main reason is cost. proper epoxy resin required for full carbon fiber and 100% full carbon is extremely costly. (around 1500-2200 dollars to have a hood like this for example) none of us would ever buy these parts because its insane (i know i wouldnt...)

so this brings me to answer your question. none of it is full carbon fiber. nobody's cb will ever be unless we get someone that will actually spend the money on having it done. however, the only real weight saving piece would be the hood since its fiberglass underneath.

i come from a composites background and know quite a bit when it comes to this sort of thing. (not trying to bash you whatsoever so please dont take it the wrong way! )

it would be wrong for me to lie and say "yeah its full carbon fiber." because its not. id rather teach the community a thing or two when it comes to these things rather than feed lies.

the better question to ask is "Do your parts save weight? Are they composite or are they skinned/overlayed." (which you did ask on the second part of your question)

The answer to that is yes, most parts are overlayed. my biggest reason is i love the look of genuine carbon and i can overlay just about any part for a reasonable cost on my end (mind you its a lot of labor, sanding, blocking, finishing) and i make parts that have never been offered before in carbon. my mirrors and roof for example. As for the trunk, i didnt want to spend 800 plus to save a few lbs on the trunk. so i did it myself for almost 1/4 of the cost and said fuck it, ill make more than enough power later on to go fast with the steel skinned variant anyway.

sorry this became so long.. i get the question a lot and feel it should be out there for others to read and understand too.

if you have specific questions and want to learn PM me. i can guide you in the right direction. most get turned off because supplies are somewhat costly and pretty invovled.

Comment

Car looks great! You drilled through the hood to install those hood pins?!
        LOL. I did the same with my cf hood. It's some scary shit lol. I knew I could not go back. But worth it. I had some wobble at high speeds with the cf hood, so pins are kinda necessary imo

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
        My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
        Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by buzz11 View Post
          Car looks great! You drilled through the hood to install those hood pins?!
          LOL. I did the same with my cf hood. It's some scary shit lol. I knew I could not go back. But worth it. I had some wobble at high speeds with the cf hood, so pins are kinda necessary imo
          Yes sir. Did them myself. Measured like 1000x and cut once lol.. and yes they're very necessary for composite hoods..

Comment

That looks great. Where did you get the parts from and how much weight did you drop?
            Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Comment

Actually there are plenty of companies that offer dry carbon parts, just not usually for Hondas unless you have an NSX or S2000. I guess I should have just asked if they were overlayed or actual CF parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                That looks great. Where did you get the parts from and how much weight did you drop?
                They are overlays, he added a CF skin over stock parts (except the hood) so he technically added weight. He did it himself.

Comment

That explains why everything fits so perfectly. Are there plans to do the whole car?
                  Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Comment

So this may be a very stupid question here so please don't beat up the noob here!
                    How do you actually overlay say a stock hood with carbon fiber?
                    And:
                    Cost wise is it any longer lasting or durable as say an 3M vinyl wrap?
                    Say about $300 to wrap in vinyl whats the cost of actual carbon overlay?
                    My Project, My Concept
                    1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                      Actually there are plenty of companies that offer dry carbon parts, just not usually for Hondas unless you have an NSX or S2000. I guess I should have just asked if they were overlayed or actual CF parts.
                      Yes there is dry carbon but for our simplistic sake, i didnt bring it up. But that is usually reserved for high end cars. Youll never see any honda parts unless some crazy ass company wants to go out of business or gets deposits on a group buy. I honestly hate the look of dry carbon. But i do understand why they do it.

Originally posted by mysticivics View Post
                      So this may be a very stupid question here so please don't beat up the noob here!
                      How do you actually overlay say a stock hood with carbon fiber?
                      And:
                      Cost wise is it any longer lasting or durable as say an 3M vinyl wrap?
                      Say about $300 to wrap in vinyl whats the cost of actual carbon overlay?
                      Its nothing at all like a vinyl wrap. Itll last years and years and years like a fiberglass boat hull. Its genuine carbonfiber layered on top with a resin system and usually clear coated (to prevent UV oxidation). Its an expensive and skilled hobby to say the least. If you go on youtube and type "how to overlay or skinn carbon fiber," some great videos come up. Not a lot of people know how to work with the stuff, let alone know where to buy quality material. I have a background in composites. From mold making, custom designing parts, refinishing, vacuum infusion of solid parts etc. If i really pooped out money id be making solid panels for my car for sure. The weight savings is negligable on a few parts alone. So a skin serves me well for what i want. It adds weight, but whats 2lbs extra to a roof? And so on. Ill be making over 415whp soon enough so i can really care less if i save 100lbs or not. Enough babbling. Here is a link for a how to on the basics. Everyone has different techniques and processes, but you'll get the idea.

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                      That explains why everything fits so perfectly. Are there plans to do the whole car?
                      There was.. you have no idea how obcessive i am with maintaining a show room shine on these parts.. i gave up those dreams for that reason. Im happy where she cosmetic wise. Maybe a few more parts here and there, but they'd be like window visors, or acessories.
                      Last edited by Jarrett; 08-21-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I just gotta say, that is some clean work. I don't know why, but the guy who had my CB before me FOR SOME REASON PUT A CARBON FIBER WRAP ONLY ON THE GLOVE BOX DOOR

Comment

Did you just make an account Carbonaccord? Lol I know I have been following you on Instagram for a while.
                          Car looks awesome though!
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                            Did you just make an account Carbonaccord? Lol I know I have been following you on Instagram for a while.
                            Car looks awesome though!
                            Lol yeah. Just recently. Always been too lazy to make one.

Comment

Working...
                            X