EXT: Custom black housing headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Custom black housing headlights

Since I was making my own JDM Black Housing headlights, I thought I would share how I did it with you. Use these instructions at your own risk. They are meant as a suggested guide for painting your stock JDM headlights and making them black housing. I take no responsibility for your actions. Now onto the instructions...

Supplies you may need:

- Philips screwdriver

- Flat Head screwdriver

- Heat gun

- Pliers

- Razor blade or Exacto knife

- Flat Black spray paint used on BBQ's or Engines (must withstand high heat)

- Masking Tape

- Silicone Sealant (Clear kind)

- A soft surface

- An Oven

- Old towel

Start with some OEM JDM Headlights:

You probably want to remove all the headlight bulbs before you continue including all the rubber couplings.

Next, you will need to separate the headlights. Remove the 4-5 silver clips that are holding the headlights together. Remove the black metal clip on the top that has the one screw.

Then, you will need to separate the headlights. This can be a bit tricky and takes a lot of coercing. Place one of the headlights in the oven for around 10 minutes at 225 degrees. Shut the oven off and take the headlight out using an older towel. The headlight will be hot, especially the metal pieces. Use the towel and slowly pry the front of the headlights off of the back. You will probably need to use the flat head screwdriver to help pry it, being careful not to damage the headlight. Use the towel with the screwdriver so you don't scratch the headlight. Again, it takes a lot of coercing and you may have to put it back in the oven again to assist in pulling them apart. Repeat the steps for the other headlight.

Once you get them apart, you will have three separate pieces. Front clear piece, middle chrome piece and grey backing. (see below pic)

Next you will need to remove the clear corner piece from the center chrome piece. This can be tricky if the slots are glued. This is where the Exacto knife comes in handy.

I chose to tape the part directly behind the clear corner so that it will stay chrome. It turned out real good this way. I am not sure how it would look if you completely painted the corner black. You certainly wouldn't get any bright lights without the reflection. Take your time and do it right the first time and tape them up with accuracy. (see below pic)

This step is optional: If you want to also paint the small chrome cap that goes over your low beams, you will need to remove them for best results. This can be difficult. I'm sure some people choose to wrap paper and tape around them without removing them from the headlights, but I would find it very difficult to paint them very well with a spray can. Since you cannot reach the screw on the back to remove the caps, you will need to loosen up the chrome housings. You may notice that of the 3 screws on the back, only one has a normal bolt head. You will need to figure out a way to jimmy up something to unscrew the other two round bolt heads. I took three screws and screwed them into the three holes and then took pliers and or a screwdriver and twisted it until the screws became looser. Do not unscrew them all the way. You can see from the front side how much thread they have left before coming undone. Don't do one screw all the way either. It will bend your housing against the backing. Rotate between the three evenly loosening them until you are able successfully unscrew the chrome cap.

Now we will paint. Shake your spray paint can for a good minute. Spray with the can in an upright position holding the parts in your hand. Since you are painting chrome directly, you will want to spray extremely light coats. I personally put 5-6 coats or more on mine. If you spray too heavy at first, the paint will run. I'm sure some people may decide to sand their chrome, but I chose not to and they came out fine. You will be painting all of the chrome pieces except for the corner part you taped up. Let dry for a good 20-30 minutes or more between coats depending on your climate. Continue to apply more light coats inspecting as you go to make sure you have not missed any spots. If you have a gas oven, place the pieces on newspaper in the oven a little while after your final spraying so that it dries very good. Once dry, carefully remove the masking tape on the corner section. It should be nice and shiny chrome. Try and avoid touching any part of the front painted section so you do not leave finger prints.

Optional Continued: Reinstall the caps, which should now be black. Re-tighten the chrome housings. Use your best judgment for where they should be adjusted to. You may have to do this in the end, when you are adjusting your headlight beams against a wall.

Next, we will put the headlights back together. You will need to re-attach the clear corner piece to the newly painted black middle section. Then take the clear front section and clean up any of the gooey stuff that may get in the way when sticking the pieces together. Don't remove all the gooey stuff as you want to use it again for when you stick the headlights back together. Take the newly painted black middle section and pop it into the front clear lens. You will see where the black piece pops onto three different mounts. It is a bit confusing but the corner of the clear lens by the turn signal doesn't actually stick inside anything. It goes flush against the rubber section.

Then, you will want to to take the silicone sealant and squeeze some into the groove on the headlight backing where the old grey sealer is. Just add enough to compliment the old sealant that is left over. Then seal up the headlights. It will be very hard to squeeze them together. Just get them lined up and closed enough to put the silver clips back on. Once all the silver clips are back on, you can stick the headlights back in the oven for like 10 minutes. When you pull them out, you will see that they closed up real nice. You can press them tighter if you like.

After they are cooled down, insert the headlight bulbs and clip them with the spring loaded clips. Then insert the rubber couplings and make sure they are sealed on the back real tight.

You should then have a nice finished product. Black Housing JDM's

Praise The Lowered...

Can This Be Donw With OEM Honda Lights? USDM?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMH22Accord
      Can This Be Donw With OEM Honda Lights? USDM?
      yes for OEM and USDM.

Comment

Got any pics of this after it has been done? I might hafta try it, if I like it...

-A. Swift
        CB7 member number 137
        Black Doubt Crew member #2
        Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

i have a question concerning this DIY.

if you paint over the housing, which is mirror-like... won't the beam not be reflected as much? because the purpose of that reflective housing is to reflect more light off of it, and make the beam brighter... am i wrong?

Comment

that looks cool, only if i was balsy enough to take my lights apart, i'm lookin for some one pieces, but not really willing to pay up the ass for them
            10-25-03 RIP little brown coupe

Comment

Either up the ass or out the ass for them they are still too expenive for my blood. How much would you charge someone if they asked you to do them for them?...

Comment

yo swift - heres my car with black headlamps- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=502 not the best pics

JDMED

buy my jdm part
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

those look pretty good...

Comment

Originally posted by accordtunerx
                    i have a question concerning this DIY.

if you paint over the housing, which is mirror-like... won't the beam not be reflected as much? because the purpose of that reflective housing is to reflect more light off of it, and make the beam brighter... am i wrong?
                    In my opinion you actually help the headlight because you kill allot of stray light. You only need the rear main reflector to produce your beam in the CB7's headlamp. Everything else that is crome just reflects stray light everywhere. Since I went HID (cheap H4 HID conversion) I wanted to kill all the stray light possible and aligned them the best I could so other motorist would not be bothered and I wouldn't get pulled over.
                    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

How hot do the headlights get. What would happen if i put some testors transparent black paint in there. This paint is enamel so I don't know what would happen. Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, i'm almost done, i've got one more coat of black an then i can put em together again. so i guess i have the option of leaving the cap off the headlight and converting to all high beams. Has anyone done this yet?

.:1993 EX-R Sedan:..:psyphredotcom:..:mrtazzymotorsports:.

Comment

so do you paint the left side, right side, top, bottom, back... which one??

thanks
                          93 SE auto... 4doors... and taking donations ---- SOLD

need new project...

Comment

I painted everything except for the main back reflectors. Like someone else said...the hardest part was masking off all the curves and contours perfectly.

Now I want to buy new headlights and replace the current glass with new glass. 10+ years of rocks and highway crap has taken a toll on em : /

My members ride thread

Comment

Well, they're done

i started around 4 and had the lights masked off by 7ish. Then i primed it (3/4 coats) and then 3 coats of black bbq paint. The painting took the longest time.

I actually like the beam pattern better this way. less scattered light off the sides.

.:1993 EX-R Sedan:..:psyphredotcom:..:mrtazzymotorsports:.

Comment

Working...
                              X