No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome work on the harness for both the dizzy and the fog lights!

Comment

Didn't actually do anything the last 2 nights, but I did get a goodie from USPS today.

1993 SE Sedan Passenger Airbag 1

1993 SE Sedan Passenger Airbag 2

1993 SE Sedan Passenger Airbag 3

Junkyard Cover 1

Junkyard Cover 2 (Airbag must have been gone for a long time to make this sag. Also it doesn't have the metal supports in it still like the new one does.)

Junkyard Cover 3

I stumbled across the airbag on eBay and debated it for about a week. I purchased it for $150 with shipping. I don't feel I overpaid for this because retail from Honda is over $500 and of course it's discontinued. As well as only paying $23 for the entire dashboard and harness in it. I really don't want the airbag portion though. I really wanted the cover and the frame so I could make a storage compartment out of it. Possibly move my fusebox up into, but make it open on some hinges some how. I'm not sure if I will even attempt this though because it is an explosive device.

Originally posted by evalex View Post
      Awesome work on the harness for both the dizzy and the fog lights!
      Thanks! Takes a bit of time to try and make it all look good and be functional.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I'll have to tackle that manual rack conversion and mod one day. It really does look simple.

Edit: are those springs already present in the valve body?
        Last edited by sonikaccord; 07-01-2015, 09:00 AM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          I'll have to tackle that manual rack conversion and mod one day. It really does look simple.

Edit: are those springs already present in the valve body?
          They are present in the valve body already. These are the ones that you must keep in, to prevent excessive play. All of the other springs and valves get taken out. I think it's 2 more valves and 2-4 springs that come out.

Comment

Well after almost a week of no progress on the car, I managed to get a few things done. Got the rack and pinion ready to install in the car. Also found out that parts made in the USA and Japan are far superior to those made in Taiwan.

Moog Adjustable Upper Ball Joints 1 (Notice how the one on the right has much more steel in the body? Also it has a greasable zerk in the top of bolt, the one on the left doesn't. USA vs Taiwan.)

Moog Adjustable Upper Ball Joints 2 (Same exact part number. Quality part and shitty part.)

Beck/Arnley Tie Rods 1 (Notice how the one on the left in the picture is a better casting. Looks to be a better ball joint in it as well. Japan vs Taiwan.)

Beck/Arnley Tie Rods 2

Beck/Arnley Tie Rods 3

Steering Components

Assembled Rack with OEM Hardware (Clips and clamps not the zip ties the boots came with.)

I just don't understand how parts companies can do this crap. I mean the Taiwan and USA or Japan parts should have different part numbers. Not a total random mix of the two. Also from multiple companies so it seems they all do it. Just a heads up guys.

Comment

^I completely agree with you, the garbage that they're putting out there should be illegal and it's a real stupid game all the time. I mean, Moog from rockauto doesn't equal the Moog from Napa for example. It's not right at all and I've tried to save $ and go aftermarket instead of Honda, and it has gotten me absolutely nowhere. Some of that trash lasts not even a year. So, I've made it a rule to not play their games and go Honda for balljoints especially. It also looks like your R tie rod end was made by Senkei-555. Thanks for posting that, very important stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                ^I completely agree with you, the garbage that they're putting out there should be illegal and it's a real stupid game all the time. I mean, Moog from rockauto doesn't equal the Moog from Napa for example. It's not right at all and I've tried to save $ and go aftermarket instead of Honda, and it has gotten me absolutely nowhere. Some of that trash lasts not even a year. So, I've made it a rule to not play their games and go Honda for balljoints especially. It also looks like your R tie rod end was made by Senkei-555. Thanks for posting that, very important stuff!
                Well as stated in a post above this setup is going to be sold with the sedan. After it gets swapped over. My sedan's current setup is OEM and SPC, I didn't cheap out there. But didn't want to spend $400-$500 on just tie rods and ball joints that are going to be sold in a few months. I agree it should be illegal to have low quality parts with the same parts numbers as higher quality parts.

Comment

I put in more work last night, just nothing picture worthy.

-Rack and pinion installed
                  -Outer tie rods installed
                  -Brackets for sway bar cleaned as well as bushings
                  -Sway bar cleaned
                  -Trimmed rear subframe to fit sway bar (little bit left 15-20 minutes)
                  -Installed front brake lines (still need to bleed brakes)
                  -Hammered out locks on the axle nuts
                  -Installed upper control arms (done due to needing to remove the axles)
                  -Hooked up all remaining vacuum lines

Those are the bigger things I managed last night. I know I did some other small things here and there. Oh well it's all progress.

Comment

geeeez! Mad, mad props to you .. wow!

This is exactly how all of this should be done.. just amazes me the talent we have here, unreal!
                    And I thought we did a good job on my wagon .. phhht!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                      geeeez! Mad, mad props to you .. wow!

This is exactly how all of this should be done.. just amazes me the talent we have here, unreal!
                      And I thought we did a good job on my wagon .. phhht!
                      Thank you so much! I feel humbled at the praise.

Well I've had 2 other Accords to practice on ahead of this one, so this isn't my first rodeo doing all of this stuff. Although it was my first full wire tuck. I learned on the other Accords that it is worth the time to clean absolutely everything while the engine is out. It has saved so much time working on it afterwards not having to clean anything or myself after having worked on the car.

Also in life I will tell you guys do things right the first time regardless of the cost and it will save you TIME and MONEY in the long run. Thats why I'm taking my time and making sure things are done right the first time.

Comment

Well I didn't do anything on this tonight. But I did manage to make some progress last night.

-Brakes bled
                        -Misc electrical hooked up
                        -Cleaned more

Here is the front half of the heat shield after being cleaned. I still have to finish cleaning up the bottom of it but the top is done.

Heat Shield Top

Heat Shield Bottom

Heat Shield Grime

Sorry I didn't have before pictures of the heat shield, it was totally oil soaked for over a foot into it. Hoping over the weekend I can get everything back up under the car, get it put on the ground so the axle nuts can come off. After that I can get the knuckles out and get the ball joints pressed out and new ones in. Once that is completed I can finish reassembly and see if she starts. Slowly making progress.

Comment

I didn't manage much in the way of any large projects today. Although I finished up my last bit of cleaning. I can not even tell you guys how tired I am of cleaning various car parts. I spent around 6-7 hours today scrubbing mainly on the under body of the car, trying to get years of oil, dirt and filth off the undercoating.

Heat Shield Bottom Side

Underbody Passenger Side (Notice the oil has discolored the underbody coating after so many years. This is actually clean I promise. Also I know there is one more dirty spot on the left hand side. I will clean this tomorrow.)

Underbody Driver Side (Undercoating is somewhat discolored on this side but not as much.)

Underbody Center

Underbody with Heatshield and Exhaust

Tomorrow I will get the knuckles out of the car, so they can be dropped off on Monday. I don't have a press so I will have to pay a nominal fee to have it done. Should only be $10-15 at the shop my cousin works at. Will also have the upper ball joints pressed out of the upper control arms at the same time. Yesterday after work I also picked up the last 2 cooling hoses I need to finish the cooling system. Ordered a set of ST sway bars yesterday as well. I still plan on picking up a Progress rear sway bar for this coupe and will eventually move the ST to a different sedan I plan to buy after I get my current one sold.

Comment

Today didn't go nearly as well as I was hoping it would. I finished cleaning up the grime on the bottom of the underbody. All the cooling hoses are now hooked up. More misc electrical taken care of. I only managed to get one knuckle out of the car due to breaking my breaker bar on the axle nut on the drivers side.

Breaker Bar Broken 1

Breaker Bar Broken 2

Passenger Side Upper Control Arm Bad Ball Joint

Passenger Side Lower Bad Ball Joint

So after breaking my breaker bar and not wanting to break a second one. I've decided that I'll just get the passenger side done tomorrow. Get it put back together, then take it to the tire shop and have them break it loose for me. Once it's loose I'll disassemble the drivers side at home get the ball joints pressed out and in. Then I'll get it aligned. I've also ordered an Ultra Racing upper strut bar. I'll post up some pictures once it arrives. As usual there is more that I can't remember from today.

Comment

nice progress, underside looks great by the way. Do you have a lift at home or is that on jackstands?
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                                nice progress, underside looks great by the way. Do you have a lift at home or is that on jackstands?
                                I wish I had a lift at home. Unfortunately it's just on jack stands, and I lay on a creeper a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X