exterior door lock illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exterior door lock illumination

Since our cars didn't come with remote unlocking/locking, I find it tedious depending on how dark it is to get my key in the hole to unlock the car. I've seen on other cars in the past have had an illuminated bezel or even a light behind the key slot to make it easier to find in the dark.

Example, early 80s RX-7: http://foxed.ca/rx-7/jan09/small/DSC_0726.jpg

Or 80s Cadillacs: https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...zafB9LgGSDi8M:

Has anyone ever added this feature to their CB?
    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

interesting idea!

I think most people tend to just get keyless entry instead. In fact, a while ago it was a popular mod to use sedan rear door handles swapped to the front to completely eliminate the locks altogether...

Anyway, in terms of the CB locks, the first idea (the key slot itself) wouldn't be very easy, as the CB has a metal flap covering the hole to keep dirt and rain out. It looks like on the RX-7 either the flap is left off, or is made of plastic - it would be tough to make a plastic replacement that tiny. The second idea (a ring around the outside) would also be tough because the CB locks are recessed without a protruding bezel, and require the key be inserted all the way - though I would imagine a variation of this idea might theoretically be doable. Perhaps inserting a clear plastic 'washer' in front of the cylinder itself, but behind the metal trim (pushing the cylinder back slightly) with an LED pointed at it from the inside? Or maybe the entire metal trim can be pushed back a bit and a ring added around the outside of that (similar to the ignition light ring)? Or maybe just the bezel ring from the GM one added to the CB making it stick out? In the case that any option causes problems with the key no longer being long enough, you could get a newer (specified as the 94-97 part) OEM honda key, as their stem is a little bit longer.

Personally I would prefer the lock hole be entirely removed, with a Ford-style numeric keypad <pic> mounted inside the recessed area under the handle, but I don't think a ford one would actually fit. Then, illumination could be mounted up inside the handles pointed downward... which, now that I think about it, illuminated handles <pic> on its own would be a cool mod.

Close-up of a CB7 driver door keyhole (sorry for the huge size) <pic>

I'd love to see something like this done because I enjoy these types of small detail mods!
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-12-2018, 05:51 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

very interesting!

Yeah definitely get keyless entry/ security for the car. After that you can do little mods like Mike said, lighted handle and or keyless door handle

Comment

I'm definitely more for the illuminated handles. I got rid of all my sedan handles a while back, but I decided I wanted to do that mod again recently. I just keep forgetting to grab them at the yard.

I think the more yellowed light on the picture Mike attached looks better than the bright LEDs I've seen before.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I have a passive keyless entry with push button start. With the key fob in my pocket the car unlocks as I get up close to the door. Then locks after I walk about 10-15 feet away. I got rid of my handles with key locks. My fob does have a flip out key on the side to get into the trunk if I need to. I’ll just call AAA if something takes a crap anyways. The door locks look hideous. I love the way my car looks without them.

Now with this setup it would be cool to have the door lights under the handles. I’m assuming hitting the unlock button would make them illuminate.
          5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

If it's wired up that way. Many aftermarket alarms have a feature that taps into the dome line circuit so that it comes on when the vehicle is unlocked. If this lighting piggy-back that, it would work. However, in your case, that's just more wiring that needs to go through the doors.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Always a dream of mine to have the exterior door handles light up. There's a 2016 cadillac down the road and it has exterior handles that light up. I've seen others where they are lights below the handles too. The only issue I have is that I'd want these to light up with the you hit the unlock button on the remote door unlock, so I'd have to have some kind of timer/relay on there to keep them on for 15+ seconds.

Here's lexus version too...

But one would have to do a professional job on these. Anything less and they'd look like the worst ebay crap.

Comment

That's a great alternative. What brand's kit did you go with?
                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Good point on the dome light option on the alarm. I currently have that setup in my red cb. Hit the unlock button, map light and dome light turn on until the car starts or the alarm is set to lock again.

Exactly more wiring going to the doors

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                    I have a passive keyless entry with push button start. With the key fob in my pocket the car unlocks as I get up close to the door. Then locks after I walk about 10-15 feet away.
                    link to the kit you have?
                    COUPE K24

Comment

My F-150 uses puddle lamps when the unlock button is pressed, instead of the handles. Maybe a white underglow kit could be added that only comes on when unlocked.

And when you're riding around with Uncle Ben.

Comment

This is the kit I bought. It’s cheap & easy to install. Instructions are lame but if you can install a stereo you can install this. I give it an 8 out of 10. As it likes to lock a lil too quick sometimes. Other than that it does it’s job and I don’t have to touch the key fob. Just keep it in your pocket like a new car. I leave it in my car as I work on it otherwise it will lock and unlock as I walk back and forth from it. It’s smart. But not that smart. I’m sure there are systems that do the same shit better. But I’m not willing to pay that much.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132452684368

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                          This is the kit I bought. It’s cheap & easy to install. Instructions are lame but if you can install a stereo you can install this. I give it an 8 out of 10. As it likes to lock a lil too quick sometimes. Other than that it does it’s job and I don’t have to touch the key fob. Just keep it in your pocket like a new car. I leave it in my car as I work on it otherwise it will lock and unlock as I walk back and forth from it. It’s smart. But not that smart. I’m sure there are systems that do the same shit better. But I’m not willing to pay that much.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132452684368
                          Just curious... when you replace ignition switch with this push button start how do you override the mechanical steering lock?

BTW has anyone given any thought to adding an exterior trunk release switch located between the 2 rear license plate lights? I've really gotten used to this on my TSX...
                          My Collection:
                          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I pulled the whole ignition out and set it to not lock. There’s a position you can put the steering column in where it isn’t locked then I cap the end with the old ignition backing piece. And it holds it in place so it doesn’t move into a locking position. It’s easy to do.

~Mark~

Comment

Working...
                            X