No announcement yet.

EXT: prepping and priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what i ment by painting the interior is the cars body it self like eg under the carpet under the head liner behind the door panels under the dash in the trunk thats what i ment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by networknewbie
      what i ment by painting the interior is the cars body it self like eg under the carpet under the head liner behind the door panels under the dash in the trunk thats what i ment

Thanks
      ohhh ok. well scuff it as you would any other metal surface, prime and paint... and in those closed conditions it is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT TO WEAR A PROPER RESPIRATOR AND SAFETY GOGGLES

ill post a pic of me in my respirator tomorrow. a dust mask will not suffice in those conditions

sand as smooth as you want. in areas that will be covered by other materials (ie carpet...) you prob don't need your surfaces as smooth because the aesthetics are not so necessary

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Question. I've collected a trunk to be swapped and would like to work on prepping that for practice. From the notes i've taken from this thread i start off with a 400 grit paper, then move to 600, 800, wetsand 1000 grit and then prime. I repeat the wetsanding with 1000 grit and priming 3x. Now i don't have a primer gun so i'll need to use the primer in a can. Is it ok to primer the entire car with a can and then take it to be primered and sanded down using an air gun? Would the two primers interact in a bad way at all or would extensive sanding make everything ok? Thanks cass
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
          Question. I've collected a trunk to be swapped and would like to work on prepping that for practice. From the notes i've taken from this thread i start off with a 400 grit paper, then move to 600, 800, wetsand 1000 grit and then prime. I repeat the wetsanding with 1000 grit and priming 3x. Now i don't have a primer gun so i'll need to use the primer in a can. Is it ok to primer the entire car with a can and then take it to be primered and sanded down using an air gun? Would the two primers interact in a bad way at all or would extensive sanding make everything ok? Thanks cass
          you don't need to use 800 or 100 until you are onto the base coat... but im not going to get into that ... color sanding and polishing and blah blah blah

you should only need up to 4 or 600 if you really want to go extra smooth on the primer, especially if you're using canned

and when you go to spray gun the real primer later, just make sure you scuff sand everything , just like you would a fully painted car, and of course, sand to bare metal on any place that needs to be refilled

how many coats you do depends on how steady your hand is and how thick the paint is laid and how evenly, especially with aerosol primer, which is by no means pressure-regulated - just take your time with sanding and painting and you shouldn't, in theory, need more than 3 caots... although shit happens, so you honestly never know!

basically, the key point is that any time you paint you need to scuff the whole surface, and only strip to bare metal where you need to do repair and body fill work

oh yeah, and like i always say, this is only a reflection of my opinion, no warranties are expressed or implied -- DIY at your own risk

ugh. no pictures have been found yet... soon, i hope !

good luck

Comment

note to self: sanding is not as easy as you thought.
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
              note to self: sanding is not as easy as you thought.
              hahahahahahahahahaha : )

have your arms fallen off yet?

Comment

Working...
              X