Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need help convincing my parents..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The amount of money I've spent in the last 7 years on vehicles + modifications could have paid off a Cadillac Escalade by now.

Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
      My parents hate the idea of me putting money into my car as well. I get shit about it constantly, and they didn't want me doing it at first, but you want to know what I did? I just started ordering my parts without telling them, and I figured I'd take the heat when they arrived in the mail. Then before you know it, they gave up and didn't care anymore. The car is the only constructive thing I have in my life right now, so I need it. Now I've got about 8 grand into the CB now in restoring suspension, modifications, my swap engine and transmission, etc. I spent a lot on this car, and you know what, I'm damn proud of it.
      i'm with Kevin here. parts just come. and they can't really do anything about it. and it's a waste not to put it on the car. my mom just says i have too many shipping boxes in my room

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
        The amount of money I've spent in the last 7 years on vehicles + modifications could have paid off a Cadillac Escalade by now.

Ouch.
        damn..haha yeah i think im just gonna talk to them about, and if anything, ill just start ordering parts and putting them in without telling my parents. my dads kind of a car guy so he might notice, but my mom wont. and my dad wont really notice unless he drives my cb so yeah. its good to know im not the only one with this problem tho..haha

but heres another variable to the equation, im graduating high school soon, and a new car is in sight...maybe..just maybe. (depends on scholarships and grants) and i have a new si in view..but i dont know if thats gonna happen..but i love my cb too much, like if i could, id keep this car with me till im 90 haha

Comment

wow

thats bizzare im 18 and i have 8 cars 3 celis 3 cb7 1 civic 1 van. crazy huh.

Comment

Originally posted by 909_cb7 View Post
            damn..haha yeah i think im just gonna talk to them about, and if anything, ill just start ordering parts and putting them in without telling my parents. my dads kind of a car guy so he might notice, but my mom wont. and my dad wont really notice unless he drives my cb so yeah. its good to know im not the only one with this problem tho..haha

but heres another variable to the equation, im graduating high school soon, and a new car is in sight...maybe..just maybe. (depends on scholarships and grants) and i have a new si in view..but i dont know if thats gonna happen..but i love my cb too much, like if i could, id keep this car with me till im 90 haha
            I think you need to slow down too man. Your car isn't going anywhere and if anything you'll save $$, and your parents will "warm up" to you car more and maybe except that its your hobbie and that you love it more than they thought.

Comment

Just leave your car alone. Seriously, if it's already been stolen once then why even bother with it? I understand the hobby thing and wanting to invest money for the fun and enjoyment of your vehicle and I'm all for that. What I'm saying is, do it smarter. Don't invest in an intake and exhaust when you already know that your car is a target. Invest in something smarter like, say, a security system. Even something smaller like a remote entry system is a smarter investment than an intake. It doesn't seem like you're thinking practically about this which is why your parents aren't budging on this.
              Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
              D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
              ┴─┴
              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

the member above me proves a very powerful point. go for the alarm.

Comment

Get the alarm first, because that would be the best investment.

As for your parents telling you what you can spend and cant spend your
                  money on is alittle much. Yes, you live in their house. But they
                  need to realize that now is the best time for you learn how to deal with
                  your money. So you can say "oh shit, that was a mistake."

Living with your parents is the time to make the mistakes, so later on in life
                  you can appreciate the experiences you went through, and better yourself.

:Back In Business...

Comment

First of all, I'm pretty sure car is a bad investment, so don't think of it as investment or try to convince yourself it is. yes I want it to look nice, cool, sweet, RELIABLE, what ever you want to call it.

Its a BLACK HOLE for my wallet, and I love every moment of it. because every dollar I put in it.
                    years later it worth 50 cents. just enjoy it for what it is. you are not
                    gonna get $1.50 for that dollar you put in years ago.

Its a nice , sweet , cool transportation that make you smile when you walking away from it, feel good when you drive it. maybe even looking back twice and say dam thats nice.

parents are being parents. if they are not into car when they were young,
                    they are not gonna understand why you would pay $900 for set of rims,
                    and called it investment. its TOY for big boy. thats all it is. so get your big boy
                    money and spend it like a new xbox game that you really want it.
                    Last edited by blackex; 01-30-2010, 03:07 AM.

Comment

you should buy the alarm man. everybody that owns cb7's wants to upgrade them well most of everybody. the first thing i should have bought for my cb7 was a alarm and i didnt i bought a intake then exhaust then a header. and now i need 1 soon ill be moving to a kinda bad part of the city. ill prolly be getting a viper system ive heard great things from them.

but yea my dad was kinda like you shouldnt be buying that you need to save your money. my damn step mom was even worse i cant stand her. my real mom is like yea buy that shit. she wants a car that looks nice, sounds good you know like us.

Comment

Perhaps, you should just start with minor stuff that doesn't cost much and that you can do yourself. Like a a kill switch, tinting the back lights/corner lights, window tinting(state legal tint darkness though), Acura Legend lip, maybe swapping some parts from an 92-93 EX(if you don't have an EX) models for slightly better performance.
                        Just small stuff that doesn't cost big money.
                        Because at the end of the day, your car is around 20 years old and to top it off its a Honda. Meaning that when the time comes when you have to part from it, you will most likely have lost all the money you have invested on it.

Though, that is unless if you are planning to keep the car for a long time. Then I guess that it would be totally up to you.

Personally, someone already broke into my car, the only thing they took was a small set of cube. That's why I don't leave anything of value in my car and when I do invest in something for it, I do so on something that is not so obvious visually. Most likely on something under the hood.
                        Good thing that my car is manual tranny though, nobody wants to take a 18 year old beater with manual tranny.
                        Accord 93 LX: H23 intake mani, Ebay short ram, P12 ecu, Full exhaust. Lots of noise... and that's about it, just noise. LOL
                        Mazdapeed MX-5 04: Begi Intake, Forge BOV, Ebay FMIC. Whoooooooosh... Phhhff!

Comment

i had the same problem as you when i was younger.

My mother wouldn't let me do any kind of mods to my '85 Accord, hell it even still had a cassette player in it. All i was allowed to do was repairs, like brakes and the exhaust. I don't blame her after her name was on the title.

Now my '90 Accord that's straight up mine. I can do whatever i want with it. Everything done to it has come from my pay check.

i've had someone knock out my passenger front window and steal my radio. i've since replaced the window and cleaned the shards of glass but i still have a hole in my dash where the radio would be with wires hanging out. if i did anything it'd be something with an AUX port where i'd just play music from my Ipod. I no longer have an antenna... i shaved it off a few months back.
                          Last edited by Leung; 01-30-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mysticude View Post
                            if you think convincing your parents is hard wait till you get married
                            ..truth...

Originally posted by deevergote
                            Yay. You're an asshole.

Comment

spend all your money on your car, best investment possible. screw what your parents say, not like they raise you or anything or put a roof over your head. screw what they want. get your big boy money from your piggybank and make it rain

Comment

just do whatever the fuck you want dude fuck your parents if u wanna fix your car up and you bought it with your own money then they shouldnt have a say on it but if they bought it for you like they did to me when i had my first cb i wouldn't cuz then they could easily take it away from you

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157630

Comment

Working...
                                X