Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California SMOG laws?

OK so before anyone says anything.

Yes I understand the law on swapping is that it has to be of the same year so I've done my fair share of reading on this subject...HOWEVER from what I've seen a few guys who live out in California already have h22 swaps hell even K swaps.

But from what I've read and seen California has one of the strictest emission laws in the country. Now my question for you swapped guys is are the cars legal to drive on the road or are they considered to be just for show?

I'm a bit curious because no one has really elaborated on how they got their cars to pass.

I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble just curiosity I suppose.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, the ref laws concerning swaps are the following:

1. The engine must be of the same year or newer than the year the car was
    manufacutred.

2. The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (so, a passenger car for our CB7 swaps).

3. All California emissions equipment must be on the car for the engine (I'm pretty sure you would be fine using all the swapped engine's emissions equipment, but it must be to California specs.)

There are plenty of daily driven swapped cars passing smog and ref in California. I really just depends on how the swap was done in light of the above rules.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I don't recommend it, but there are ways around this law. Some shady smog guys will pass any car as long as you pay enough.

However, you should get the swap BAR'd and have all smog equipment needed to pass the smog test. But, cops will still try to give you a hard time about the swap if they catch you with it. They hope that you don't know more than them, and that you will just accept them telling you that it is illegal when it's not.

Comment

Make sure you know and can verify that all the smog equipment is on the car, and be able to point it out to an officer if stopped. However, once you get the car BAR'd, which is what I meant by a 'ref' in my first post, you should have the paper work necessary to have the officer say, "drive safe and have a nice day."

I feel bad for Anthony, who was pulled over due to nothing more than a suspicious looking car. The cop knew right away that his engine swap was illegal, and he was given a ref ticket. He needed to get a F series in his car by Feb. 2nd to get the car BAR'd successfully, or get a ref fine. The entire ordeal sounds like it is horrible.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

or have it reg'd in a county and doesn't require smog. You can still get popped for illegal stuff and you can still get tickets for pre-smog cars. i know a kid that i went to school with that had an early 70's celica get popped for his weber carbs in fremont.

My one car that isn't smog legal rarely gets driven and when i drive it, i try not to do stupid shit.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I have a 96 H22A1 in my 93. The ref certified it as a 93 H22A1 because I swapped the OBDII parts for OBDI (swapped distributor and removed crank sensor). But I think that only worked because it is an A1 which would come in a 93 Prelude instead of an A4.
            Originally posted by Junior Smurff
            Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              when I Drive It, I TRY not To Do Stupid Shit.
              So often do you do stupid shit in that car?

Comment

i guess stupid enough so that someone tied a dog poop bag on my door handle hah
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                X