F22A Powered Rat Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not with an F22A...

Though yeah, I can't believe I didn't jump on the rotation thing right away! Aside from the F20C/F22C, all F series engines (along with all D, B, and H engines) spin the wrong way for ANY RWD drivetrain. You'd have to reverse the rotation of the engine to make it work. It IS doable... but I couldn't tell you how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Well, not with an F22A...

Though yeah, I can't believe I didn't jump on the rotation thing right away! Aside from the F20C/F22C, all F series engines (along with all D, B, and H engines) spin the wrong way for ANY RWD drivetrain. You'd have to reverse the rotation of the engine to make it work. It IS doable... but I couldn't tell you how to do it.
      someone on here said a different cam designed for a different rotation but i wonder how the bearings and oil pump will like it?

shit while we are at it lets make it a pull start
      visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
        Fyi, Delta no longer offers anything over the 272. The 282 was a beast and definitely qualifies your criteria.
        Have you talked with Delta lately?

Me being a European, i'm having a hard time getting through to him, i think he is ignoring me or something, it's a shame, i really need that 282 for my build.

I do have some custom numbers that i found in JDM92_Accorn's MRT that i plan on using, if he discontinued the 282.

BTW:

Ryan D: That looks impressive! I'd love to hear her spin to 9000rpm!!!! (Or even 10.000RPM)

I'm a big fan of HotVersion and Touge also American Touge, check them out if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgN_vvneOk
        Last edited by CB7Denmark; 08-20-2015, 09:09 PM.
        Check out my MRT, i'd love some constructive criticism ---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204165 PICTURES FROM 2014! DOES NOT REPRESENT CURRENT STATE

Comment

I was thinking about doing something like this in my model A. Problem is it would look pretty ugly, and theres very limited room.

I have some engine bay pics in here
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=205531

tell me how I would fit an f22 in there lol

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
            I was thinking about doing something like this in my model A. Problem is it would look pretty ugly, and theres very limited room.

I have some engine bay pics in here
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=205531

tell me how I would fit an f22 in there lol
            oh hell thats easy as shit.

all you need is this:

and a bit of this:

and call one of your buddies over that looks like this:

grab a case of bud and you will be done in no time!
            visit vgruk

Comment

Actually you'd be surprised, reversing engine rotation is a common thing, it's done for twin prop speedboats. Usually they have two Mercruiser 350 V8's, one is changed to reverse rotation, otherwise the boat would just go in circles.

You'd need a custom camshaft, an off the shelf profile would not work. And of course a starter to spin the engine the opposite direction.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

The starter wouldn't be too difficult. That could probably be done with a little customization of a starter from any other engine.
                The camshaft gets a bit tricky, though. Although, a poorly designed camshaft profile will probably give the desired lope... maybe not make much power, but it'll sound mean!

Comment

You can have five reverse gears and one forward gear!

Or maybe a fwd rat rod to really piss people off

What I think you meant by a VTEC killer camshaft is just a long duration/ large lobe cam profile. VTEC killers a totally different thing as stated.

Personally, if I was going to do the whole rat rod Honda motor thing, I'd use something a little different. I don't think the amount of work required to fit the f22 is proportionate to the output received.

I'm.not an expert but I believe most j and k series motors rotate "the right way." There is a rwd S13 k20 down here.

I think a j35, with triple Webber's and three inlet trumpets sticking out the side would be rad.
                  sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Yeah, Honda started spinning their engines the same way as everyone else (clockwise, I believe) with the K. To my knowledge, all of their V6 engines have turned that way.

You know... I don't know which direction the G series spins! (edit: According to one post I found on the subject on Honda-Tech, the G series shares the oddball ccw rotation of the D, B, F, H engines. )

Comment

Yeah the g series are really interesting, a friend owns a jdm honda vigor, g25 I think with a 4 speed auto.

Quicker than his third gen prelude with a h22 and sounds ridiculously awesome.

Did you know they were mounted the same way as a rwd, but had a gearbox style similar to a Subaru to power the front wheels? Some interesting stuff.

Yes, its fwd.
                      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Yep. Same with the V6 in the 2nd and 3rd gen Legend (3rd gen Legend in the US is the Acura RL.) It's rather strange. Unfortunate, because it seriously limits performance transmission options!

I've always wondered how similar to the F22A the G series head was. Seeing as they're both SOHC non-VTEC engines, it makes sense to me that the G series port design would be similar to that of the F series. If that's the case, knowing the potential of the F series, the G series could offer 25% more with an extra cylinder!

So yeah... reverse rotation of a G series and throw THAT into a rat rod

Comment

There are other cheap options. GM Quad 4 looks more "old-school" and are easily adopted to RWD, plus start out at 160-200HP stock. Ecotec is another option. Both cheap and easy to find, and already standard rotation.

Edit here ya go Quad 4 in a Datsun 510 wagon

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/a-lit...veryone.35107/
                          Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                          X