Windows 10 whaaa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 whaaa?

Sooo kind of a rant but wanted to see what others though. WTF did MS do to Windows 10. I was semi ok with Windows 8, wait......... no i wasn't. As a experienced IT Technician it blows my mind as to what MS is doing.

Let's review Win10 from a technical troubleshooting standpoint. First, read this: http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

- Let's plaster the desktop / start menu with ads and stuff the user does not want or need
    - Let's fill the OS with bloatware
    - Let's make it hard to install the OS without linking it to a MS account
    - Push to use the cloud or MS One Drive(cloud)
    - Cannot disable WU (yep, great idea here. Because all WU work perfect from the first install! = not)
    - OS filled with data collection tools which are turned on by default
    - WiFi sharing enabled by default
    - The MSSE collects data and every app you install to "protect" you

The last straw for me was having a user I know show me a laptop he bought. It had a 20GB HDD in it, 1.3Ghz CPU and 2GB of RAM. It cost him over $500. Not to mention his office was trial, his AV was trial, and he had 4 programs that asked him what he wanted to do when he inserted a USB stick (auto launch programs).

His laptop:
    - Windows account is linked to his hotmail account (so if you have no internet you cannot login / cannot verify credentials to the server)
    - MS One Drive (cloud) stores all his documents, pictures, and info on the cloud (technically he does not own this data anymore)
    - Office 365. His actual office install is online, runs from online and stores all cache / data required online

I told him to return that POS and go buy a real laptop. The sales guy told him this laptop was top of the line.

But besides the major OS changes i just cannot fathom why a company that has bread their users into using a START MENU since the early days of Windows has now ditched it for this spam "Metro" BS they call a Start Menu.

And I get it. They want to be apple. They are taking advantage of today's generation of kids who don't read EULAs and just accept everything. Like the new FB phone app, no-one cares what privacy they give up as long as they are "in the now". Sad.

And from a technician troubleshooting standpoint. Absolute garbage!
    - Let's have the system configuration utility now open msconfig
    - Let's integrate the OS into the MBR so no-one can easily get rid of it
    - Let's get rid of the cdrom and all ports previously used so we don't have to make actual DVDs anymore (but not decrease the price of the product)
    - Let's have users require a hotmail pass to install office products
    - Let's make people search for what they want although they may not know what its called
    - Let's make everything harder to do unless you simply use the internet and email

Not to mention that they used the same Metro interface on their Server 2012 OS editions. W..T..F...., that is just wrong!!.

And what bothers me the most is how they push this to the user. For the simple users wanting to buy a PC, no option of Win7 (although the hardware supports it), pushing Win10 advertisements as security updates, and just the amount of trickery involved in the OS.

I had a user try to downgrade from Win10 to Win7 as he upgraded accidentally and it ended with a format.

If all of this keeps up I'm going to have to find a new career.

Man, after reading that, I am SO glad I didn't click the "upgrade now!" thing that keeps popping up on my computer (I really hate that Microsoft is essentially spamming my PC via popups!)

I'm on Windows 7, and I don't hate it. I hated the look of Windows 8, and Windows 10 just seems to be more of the same. I get that they're trying to make a universal OS that will be essentially the same across multiple platforms: desktops, laptops, tablets, phones... But honestly, I don't want a phone or tablet style interface on my desktop! (I know, I know... I'm a part of a dying breed of desktop users...)

I think I picked a good time to start getting into Linux!

Comment

Yeah, win 8 was already a pain to remove/disable all that crap. Just to get to it run a business environment where all that crap is useless. I've been testing Win 10 on one of my work computer because with the holidays I expect to see many new request to set up their new Win 10 products. Of course Win 10 still has several glitches and it's even more time consuming to get it to a business minded usable state. Oh well.

Then you have users upgrading their home pc's and not creating backups or recovery disks before upgrading. Just assuming that nothing will go wrong. But already 2 machines went down and they expect me to recover them.

Oh and don't get me started on the shit they've been doing to Office especially Outlook with stupid updates.
      Last edited by Tishock; 12-17-2015, 01:15 AM.

Comment

OH, Win10 ad is KB3035583, find it in your ad/remove progra....... sorry, the programs and features.

Ohhh got to see Office 2016 the other day & how it integrates itself into outlook emails, etc. The ribbon bar looks like it was made for my grandma and takes up half your screen.

Funny at work they have Dell laptops with Win8, that have touchscreens. Non-detachable screens, 15" laptops, with your keyboard above your keyboard. Obviously you can turn off the on-screen keyboard.

Oh ya. Bug city, but always been that way.

Comment

Terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible TERRIBLE

The new Office suite is buggy too. Fanboys tout that this will be their rejuvenation, I still think it's the beginning of their demise.

Their systems have turned into a messy bloat with absolutely terrible UIs. If they didn't already have name recognition and market share, I doubt they would really be able to enter today's market with their product set as-is. Their stuff just doesnt cut it for the core users. i guess they only want to cater to leisurely web browsers and spreadsheet makers.. But even that they are doing poorly.
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-16-2015, 09:28 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

The deployment of skype based business communications has been quite the rollercoaster ride for those involved.

Comment

Im kind of on the other side I guess-

I upgraded only because it was free...I saw that you had 30 days to go back if you wanted so I said fuck it lol.

So far so good....

I mean I HATE MS. I am no fan boy. If anything, Google is my company. I don't particually like Apple but now that I have owned a 2008 Macbook for the last 3 years(got it second hand) I can see why everyone goes crazy. Thing is fucking bulletproof.

As far as my Win 10 machine.....I had Win 7 and it was chill. Win 10 isn't too bad. I am sure it sucks from a IT standpoint, but for me, I just browse the web, manage my NAS, and write school papers....literally thats it. All my photo editing is done on my mac and then saved/backed up to the NAS.

Once this machine takes a dump I would like to get a Mac. Windows really does not have anything that I need to stay any longer.

Comment

Typical MS. Trying to copy the features of others and doing it poorly.

I have Windows 10 on my work tablet and absolutely refuse to use it for anything except what I am required to. Even then I hate it.

Glad I finished converting to the Apple Sphere about 9 months ago. Couldn't be happier for what I need.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I'm surprised more haven't chimed in on this, since everyone reading this is sitting on a computer right now.

Comment

haha well....I do have a year old laptop, came with Win8, hated it, pain in the ass to use. My buddy who is a giant computer geek recommended I take the free upgrade, so I did. I like it more than 8 but the start menu? ugh not even a start menu anymore, can't find the programs in it, I have to search everything? Oh and there's a Siri-like thing that talks to you randomly? fuck outta here with that shit. I know what I'm looking for I don't need to ask a fucking computer to help me. I own several other comps with Win7 including a converted Macbook Pro and they will stay that way.

Speaking of that, my gf owns a 6 year old laptop with Win7 on it, it's a touchscreen which is why she insists on keeping it, anyways, it's prompting her to upgrade to Win10. She says "should I do it?" NOOOOO that will kill your comp. Does Win10 even check if your computer can handle it, or are they pushing this crap out to as many people as possible?
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

When I did my upgrade, I reserved it as soon as it asked me too...

it took them about 2 months to scan my computer and determine if it was able to handle 10.

LOL

I could care less so It didn't bother me that it took forever.

I was more worried about a OTA upgrade fubaring my machine but it went smooth and only took like 30 mins. I was straight impressed.

I find the Start menu to be easy actually...I mean it is fucking ridiculous and it isn't better then the old but I didnt have trouble figuring it out.

Imo its the same it always has been...

most recent at top....below that is file explorer which brings up a window to search your system folders and below that is "all apps".....this is the programs area where all your programs are installed listed in alphabetical order. I like how you can click on the letters and then skip right to the section as opposed to scrolling all the way through.

The new addition, at least to me, is the live tiles. Basically weather, news, and whatever you "pin" there. That BIG ASS Cortana box at the bottom is only really useful for finding a file that Ive misplaced.....fuck cortana I don't need that shit. Never really used Google voice, Siri can take it in the ass.

I find my searching to be faster and more precise then the voice ones unless im looking for something general like how tall Barack Obama is lol.

Comment

So when our hard drive crashes folks how do you get Win10 back on it?

I'm trying to find 50+ copies of Win7 Ultimate (or Pro) currently for a company. MS does not sell Win7 Pro or Ultimate anymore which I think is a load full of BS! I'm having to go to 3rd party companies to buy them. Part of me wishes I could buy 2000+ copies as I know folks will want them down the road!

MS said "You can buy Win8 corporate edition, will that do?" I said "No, no-one likes it." All i heard was crickets after that.....

Comment

8 Corp is the closest thing you will get to 7, but you will need to make some tweaks and install ClassicStartMenu and the likes. 7 is dead. 8 is 7 with some stupid hints of 10 barely peeking through. 10 just blows. Sucks a lot of their software updates are starting to mimic 10 themes even on 8

Thiiiiiis is why I went to linux on my desktop, instead of just servers. Fortunately I found a job that lets you use whatever tools you want to work, so I run linux at work too. *whew*
                          Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-18-2015, 04:29 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I have a Mac
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              I'm surprised more haven't chimed in on this, since everyone reading this is sitting on a computer right now.
                              I can't say that I'm disappointed with 8.1 .. but I've been warned about 10 lol ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X