Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanics rant thread...does your boss have you cut corners when doing work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Are you working full time hours? $350 for a 40 hour workweek is terrible!
    Even an uncertified mechanic should be pulling in twice that, minimum!

Anyway, I hate bosses that take shortcuts. Chances are, if someone catches it, he'll blame it on you! Watching the bottom line is one thing, and it IS important to stay in business... but "good enough" is a bad business philosophy.
    I work monday through friday, 8-5 most days. Yes I myself have already heard him put things off on me when they have gone bad. We have a 2.4 galant at the shop rite now his father in law bought for his grandson. Deal was before he got rid of the car we were to replace the timing belt on it, thats all he did was brought me a belt. This 2.4 has a hydraulic tensioner an since he passed on that part it has failed and I get to yet do it again. He never replaces tensioners, they cost to much.

Friend of his brings a 2005 suburban to us last week to have the brake pads on the rear replaced. The inner pads on both sides had ate into the rotor, so I broke everything down assuming we would either turn the rotors or replace them. Nope he said since the grooves were on the back only then it wouldnt make a difference.

Someone has asked what my charge was in a above post, charge was felony fleein to elude back in 2003. Unfortunately NC law dictates there is no 7 year law of previous charges. Which means for me in this mistake will forever follow me, unless I have a lawyer have my record expunged or erased.

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post
      unless I have a lawyer have my record expunged or erased.

I would do the math.. Say it is costing you tens of thousands a year currently. Lawyer will cost a couple grand.. It would pay of in what... Within a month of getting a better job?

But good luck with the jobs.. I would save up what you can and ditch that job.. Fawk working on jackstands.
      Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

My boss does that all the time. A guy came in the other day to have his new paint job wetsanded and buffed. Boss thought the car wasn't worth it and told me to just buff it. Right now we're fixing a rotted minivan with rusted panels . I find that extremely stupid! Oh and I only make $250 for 40 hours. But I guess for being a 17 year old kid working in an autobody shop that isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post

But good luck with the jobs.. I would save up what you can and ditch that job.. Fawk working on jackstands.
          I honestly dont think he see's the time that could be saved by actually being able to work under a car while staying on your feet. Its already been prooved that ppl are more efficent in the work place while standing rather than sitting down. He just doesnt get it.

Comment

I feel like i'm reading about my own life

Minus the misdiagnosis part. We generally fix things right the first time where i work.

Comment

That's crazy man I would not work for him honestly. Personally I feel that in the workplace if you are going to be exploited for your services atleast make sure that you are well compensated for your talents and not treated like a prostitute.

Honestly ditch that place and find a place that compensates you better than where you are at. Honestly there are better jobs out there the hell with these jobs that are bullshit it's worse than becoming a slave. You also have to see how your money is looking after you spend your money on usual things that you need and how much you are left with at the end of the week. If its not enough to wipe your ass with its not worth it. Just try to find another spot but before you get in ask them everything before you jump in.

Comment

a job that is a Service to the community

you have at least 40 hours of Labor per week

you are an Asset to his business

and very Valuable to his reputation since he can blame you for things

and you help boost his Economy in the business world

OP, please put some cash together and get the heck out of there, even Wal-Mart pays better
                Last edited by bobbycos; 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM.
                http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                  But I guess for being a 17 year old kid working in an autobody shop that isn't too bad.
                  BS - When I started at a body shop with No qualifications, No experience, still in school, and only 16 turning 17 . . .
                  I was on $10 an hour (NZD)

That would be about $8 USD an hour, or $320 for 40hours.
                  Don't settle for second best, when you know your worth more

To the OP - You need to man up and tell the boss he is wrong when he genuinely IS wrong.
                  Otherwise your just as bad as him to the customers pocket.

EG - You say you KNEW that the noise was not in the gearbox, yet you pulled it twice, and then did a dodgy engine swap.

Honest question - WHY did you do that, Why did you allow someone to literally waste YOUR time while knowing so?

It hurts to hear, and I'm not directly insulting YOU because you ARE right, It happens to many people everyday.
                  But the only person that can change it, is the people that realize it.

That is - Your boss won't have any chance of changing UNLESS someone makes him aware of it, OR unless someone teaches him.
                  As you say - He miss-diagnoses things, So why not help him, and take it upon yourself to show him?

It reminds me of a story my Step-dad once told me:

His father put out an ad for planting seeds with only 2 people required.
                  5 young people turned up, and he handed them a bag of seeds each.
                  He showed them how to plant them (which happened to be upside down)(Yes it is possible to plant seeds upside down)

3 of those people decided he was an old fool, and planted them the correct way up.
                  1 of those people did as he was told and planted them upside down.
                  And 1 of those people stopped and asked him Why he wanted them planted upside down.

Only 2 of the 5 people got the job for a very simple reason:
                  One of them did as they were told.
                  And one of them showed initiative and asked why they wanted them to do something they knew was wrong.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    BS - When I started at a body shop with No qualifications, No experience, still in school, and only 16 turning 17 . . .
                    I was on $10 an hour (NZD)

That would be about $8 USD an hour, or $320 for 40hours.
                    Don't settle for second best, when you know your worth more

I am getting paid $8 but taxes are raping me up the ass! I have to pay about $50 in taxes every week.

Comment

I am getting paid $8 but taxes are raping me up the ass! I have to pay about $50 in taxes every week.
                      Tax is a fact of life for everyone, I assumed you meant $250 less tax.
                      That's not too bad, though times have changed in the last 10 years.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Simple...I have spoke and when doing so I get belittled or barked at for it. The civic job i never heard before pulling the trans, the dodgy engine swap he know what should be replaced, he never does it though. i need a job so I roll the dice. Im aware that my reputation is on the line everytime I do so and that problems can easlily be pointed at me. Hes got me where he wants me, in a position where I have to depend on him, i dont make enough to buy my own tools and dont have the time to look for another job because i cant afford to miss any work. He knows this and flexs that fact at me all the time, almost every day. So lets go see how today goes....

Comment

You have to tell me what shop this is. I live in the area.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter
                          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Behind tool world in kannapolis, intersection of 29 and earnhart loop, so I was right about the tensioner on the 2.4 ltr galant, shoulda been replaced with the timing belt and waterpump. All fixed now....

Comment

I only pay $265 for taxes every week, Government just loves me.

And where I work, Cutting corners will def kill people.

To OP, Just see what you have to leverage and talk to the boss, Tell him you have another offer somewhere else and see what he says.

Comment

$250 a week, biweekly until school is out blows. I make $500 a month.(I work one week on, then go to school for one week). It mostly goes to gas and insurance.

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
                                I only pay $265 for taxes every week, Government just loves me.

And where I work, Cutting corners will def kill people.

To OP, Just see what you have to leverage and talk to the boss, Tell him you have another offer somewhere else and see what he says.
                                At $265 every week, I would be completely broke! But you gotta make a nice chunk of change in order to have that much taken out!

Comment

Working...
                                X