CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
They're not crap... they're just not designed for use with turbo. The materials are not made for the heat and pressure.

And a stock rebuild will indeed hold. Until it blows. The internet is full of "mine is working fine!" stories, but not a whole lot of "mine just blew up" followups.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Accrdwgnguy
Contributing Member

Accrdwgnguy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Accrdwgnguy
The stock pistons are cast aluminum. They are strong enough for their intended purpose, but when you add more heat and pressure to them they break at their weakest point. K23 can handle the turbo since it was engineered for such a purpose, where-as the F22A was not engineered with a turbo in mind.

Forged pistons are formed out of a solid aluminum block. The process to form them involves high heat and pressure, so as you can imagine, it can handle higher combustion temperatures and pressures. I could get into the molecular science of how forging is stronger than casting, but anyone who paid attention in high school knows this. Plus there's google.
Accrdwgnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
It's also explained in pretty understandable terms on pages 58-59 of the book I mentioned earlier

Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
trouty
CB7tuner Member

trouty is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to trouty
i had to go to the mainland and barnes and nobles just to get that book. its a wealth of knowledge, as well as very period specific to our generation of Accords. a must buy for any Honda enthusiast. any more recommendations Deev? I've got this other book, i got it the same time as the one you mentioned, but this ones on Engine Management. when i find it ill post the name up.
trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman? That's a decent one as well, though the info isn't as useful for beginners. I found that it was filled with info that I already knew, or didn't know enough to make use of.

I truly found that the Kojima book was the absolute best starting point for a true beginner working with older Hondas. The info is dated (the K series was JUST coming out as that book was written), and there are even some blatantly errors (he says VTECH at one point! ) but overall, the info is easy to understand, presented in a very straightforward manner, and very useful for a beginner to apply without ever having turned a wrench. Kojima's writing style is also entertaining at times.
He's been active on various forums in the past. It's a shame he never found his way here! He's a huge Sentra fan.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
E_equals_CB7
Newcomer

E_equals_CB7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima.
How can this book be useful when it comes to building an F22? (other than basic knowledge of internals and components of course)

It is written specifically for H, D, and B series motors.
E_equals_CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Have you read it?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
E_equals_CB7
Newcomer

E_equals_CB7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Have you read it?
No, but I did just order it. I wasnt trying to be an ass or anything lol. I just wanted to know exactly how relevant it was to the F series.
E_equals_CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

The information regarding VTEC and some aftermarket parts are H/B-specific, yes... but the general information regarding the function of the engine, the function of upgraded parts, the importance of materials used (for example, high silicon pistons vs. low silcon pistons), the function of turbos, superchargers, and nitrous oxide...
90% of that book can be applied directly to the F22A.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Learners_Permit
CB7tuner Member

Learners_Permit is cool... so far.
Ok Deev I have read the book you recommended. I have now come up with my goal and budget.

I have a budget of between 6k-10k.

I would like to get between 300whp-350whp.

I was wondering if this is accomplishable on my f22a1 or if I should swap motors?
Learners_Permit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

As long as you're looking to go turbo, that's more than doable. With your budget, you should even be able to do everything properly, so it will be reliable.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #32
Learners_Permit
CB7tuner Member

Learners_Permit is cool... so far.
I plan to go the turbo route, and do it all the right way. Has anyone dealt with Bisi on their block builing services or head building?
Learners_Permit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , f22a1 , nos

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: