Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

E85 and fuel pump / system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E85 and fuel pump / system

Hello all.

My fuel pump recently took a dump on me, and I am upgrading to a high flow one. I may be running e85 in the future, so I was wondering if anyone would recommend a pump.

I have heard both yes and no on the walbro's (with e85), but I am leaning in that direction.

Also what steps are recommended for the rest of the fuel system to cope with e85.

regards,

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Bosch 044 fuel pump.

Walbro 255lph would be ok too, but I've seen a lot of them go out lately, seems like the quality has gone down in recent years and they just don't last.

-Kyle
    SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
    -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

I can't remember exactly what else but you'll need a tune def. New rubber lines, filter and that should be it. You might be able to get away without a tune but gas mileage would be horrible, you need a lot more fuel than you would with reg gas.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

No tune...

No tune is a VERY BAD idea.

the stoichiometric ratio of ethanol is 9:1 not the 14.7:1

Using e85 drops the required a/f ratio, and requires A LOT more fuel. and when I say a lot, I mean like %30. I would not run e85 without a good tune!

I don't think that stock injectors will even have enough flow to keep up with e85 on an h22. I am running 410 cc's and expecting to be %70-%80 duty cycle.

and without e85 I am running a max of %47 duty cycle.

Comment

seeing as gas prices are suppose to go up to 4 dollars a gallon around here so i have been considering this convertion does any1 have an estimate on what it would cost do do this?

Comment

Good tune and good fuel pump and DSM450cc will do you good..But if ur gona do the e85 thing u might as well get a good cam and modify a couple thing to take advantage of e85. just my .02

Comment

Cant go wrong with a Bosch 044

Comment

Wally 255 in my opinion.

Ive never had an issue using one, I currently have 2 in one car, and 3 in 3 other cars all running decent amounts of fuel. The 30% rule is accurate, you'll need bigger injectors for sure.
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I've got a set of DSM 390's that I originally bought when I pieced together my first turbo kit (that got sold). If I can score an SAFC or other decent piggyback, I'll probably screw around with E85.

Comment

I just found out that the Bosch 044 has been discontinued. However, a friend of mine has installed a few of the Deatsch Werks 300lph fuel pumps, they are in-tank like the Walbro, but pump the same volume as an 044.
                    SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
                    -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Corn

I made the jump today, I just plan on keeping a close eye on it and replacing the fuel filter after a few tanks.

I am technically only on e75, because idaho doesn't get e85 until june, but I did a good base tune tonight and everything seems good. I haven't adjusted timing or leaned it out, but it felt much smoother than it did on 93.

I don't think it feels any faster yet, but like I said I didn't do much for performance tuning, and it is much safer.

Currently E75 here is $3.10, and premium 93 is 3:70, I obviously don't know mileage yet, but I will post it after I get a full tank without rodding the piss out of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
                        I made the jump today, I just plan on keeping a close eye on it and replacing the fuel filter after a few tanks.

I am technically only on e75, because idaho doesn't get e85 until june, but I did a good base tune tonight and everything seems good. I haven't adjusted timing or leaned it out, but it felt much smoother than it did on 93.

I don't think it feels any faster yet, but like I said I didn't do much for performance tuning, and it is much safer.

Currently E75 here is $3.10, and premium 93 is 3:70, I obviously don't know mileage yet, but I will post it after I get a full tank without rodding the piss out of the car.
                        Mileage will decrease by about 20-30% or so.

E85 is waay safer, good choice there.
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I'm running E85 in my s2000.

I'm running 2 in-tank walbros and they work well with E85. I am also running -8AN feed and -8AN return fuel lines with an -8AN bore fuel rail to support the flow. You will also need bigger injectors for E85. Roughly 30-35% more fuel is used. My gas mileage while cruising and not getting on it is 22mpg. If I get on it, it obviously drops a decent amount depending on how much I beat on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X