No announcement yet.

INT : DIY plastic polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured I may as well polish up the replacement bumper lenses I picked up. $10 at the JY. The bottom one is unpolished for reference.

~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG

What kind of knobs are those .. they look grreat!

A Hui Hou !!!
      Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

they're from an old radio. i don't have then anymore though. my current knobs look like this:

later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thanks G Man

On a side-note .. for you guys looking for tools ..
          I find allll the tools I own at various Pawn Shops ..
          You'd be amazed what can be found there, all kinds of great deals.

You might even find that bomb vacum cleaner .. you know, the one with the bright ass headlight,
          and you might get that fawkin ROOM of your's clean one day!

Hahaha .. anywayz .. it's more fun polishin the shit outta the plastic parts any day,
          then it is pickin up dirty socks and vacuming ..

Keep this thread goin .. I'm lovin it!
          Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
            this more detail instruction on polishing the plastic headlights.

this is the before pics:

first thing i did was put mothers mag and aluminum polish on the headlight:

i buffed the headlight for a few minutes, then used the plastic polish and buffed this time by hand, as that is all that is needed after the metal polish.

done:

don't forget to tape off the headlight so you don't damge the surrounding paint.
            I did this today on my spare jdm 1 piece headlights. Now it came out clearer then it ever was. however I still have the clear coat and specs of the clear coming off. Is this where I should wet sand?

thanks in advance.

Maury

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
              I did this today on my spare jdm 1 piece headlights. Now it came out clearer then it ever was. however I still have the clear coat and specs of the clear coming off. Is this where I should wet sand?

thanks in advance.

Maury
              to remove all the clear coat would be tedious to say the least.

if you don't mind the work go for it, but you would have to get the headlight crystal clear and re apply a clear plastic sheet, otherwise the plastic will try to haze back up. 3M makes clear plastic sheets BTW.

it might be easier to just put a new plastic sheet on over the old. it may hide the peeling clear.

or you could simply polish it regularly. later.

Comment

i've been taking my mothers ball and power metal polish to cruise nights and charging people $5 a headlight to clear them up! so far i've done about 10 cars, but most of those were done for free. i always get a crowd around me and jsut about everyone always says something along the lines of "holy sh**" when i rub the polish off of the headlights revealing the crystal clear lense beneath. thanks for writing this up, typeG, it's helped me out a lot and even gotten me the occasional nickname of "mr clean" around springfield!

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                  if they are plastic (like the one pieces). the OEM headlights are glass.
                  How would you polish the OEM headlights?

Comment

heres a little something i did for my truck yesterday

Comment

Wow, npor!
                      Looks new!

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

can I use these methods on the jdm window visors?? can I use the mag wheel polish on them and then the plastic polish? I used the plastic polish on them already but mine still have some spots that the plastic polish wont get off...will the mag wheel polish work?? Thanks

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                        be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

yes you can use the mag and aluminum polish first as it has a heavier cut. it sounds like you'd benifit from using a powerball with the metal polish and then using the plastic polish by hand for the final finish. later.

Comment

matt (right?)

which do you prefer

the powerball

or powerball mini

for polishing things of this sort.

Comment

I just wanna give TypeG props on making a diy outta this, I tried this for fun on a spare blank peice I had from another accord....wow...I think I'm doing my whole Int now...and lights...THE WORKS...Thanks man, bloody rock solid game you got there
                              Confucius say...when god gives you gators...make Gatorade

Comment

Originally posted by TristansCB7 View Post
                                I just wanna give TypeG props on making a diy outta this, I tried this for fun on a spare blank peice I had from another accord....wow...I think I'm doing my whole Int now...and lights...THE WORKS...Thanks man, bloody rock solid game you got there
                                cool man. just make sure you know the type of plastics that can be polished and the kinds that can't be. i pretty much have pictures and a list of everything that can be polished. and if you are going to do the buttons/switches you can use straight plastic polish with no sanding since they don't have a texture. later.

Comment

Working...
                                X