No announcement yet.

INT : DIY plastic polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever try plastic polish on that lip?
    '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
    EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

in the words of chingy: type g your "powerballin' " i gotta try my bumper lights when spring rolls around.
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Those bumper lenses look hot.. gonna have to do this to my sols headlights since they are a bit dull..

Which sanding paper you recommend? the same 600 then 1000? I also painted my corners amber since they are not available for the del sol you think this could be polished in the same way even if it has been painted.. don't want to remove the paint.. should I use a lighter sanding paper for the painted corners? Thanks Esteban..

APRT -" No te asustes, menos preocupate, solo cagate!"

94 del Sol S

Comment

Originally posted by RUM_ACCORD_H22
          Those bumper lenses look hot.. gonna have to do this to my sols headlights since they are a bit dull..

Which sanding paper you recommend? the same 600 then 1000? I also painted my corners amber since they are not available for the del sol you think this could be polished in the same way even if it has been painted.. don't want to remove the paint.. should I use a lighter sanding paper for the painted corners? Thanks Esteban..
          if it is only dull just a little bit, you could probably just use the polish with no sanding. if you do sand, do wet sanding and don't use any courser than 1000g.

about the painted corners, it will remove the amber paint. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Is the plastic polish grainy or is it like normal wax? is it liquid? gelly feeling? Does the polish wax have anything abrasive inside it to make the surface its applied to smooth? cuz i tried normal wax on my headlights and it didnt do shit.
            honda-tech>cb7tuner bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by nakf00
              Is the plastic polish grainy or is it like normal wax? is it liquid? gelly feeling? Does the polish wax have anything abrasive inside it to make the surface its applied to smooth? cuz i tried normal wax on my headlights and it didnt do shit.
              wax isnt going to do anything; its just going to put a thin layer over whatevers on the lights. The polish actually fills in tiny scratch marks and such. Like polishing a scratch on a body panel. Obviously wax wont remove scratches from a body panel, so you use a polish or rubbing compound.

Comment

Originally posted by nakf00
                it is a liquid.....its not grainy. the cut is very fine...it feels like hand lotion.

it has a ''media'' in it that cuts and smooths the surface. it is a true polish and it leaves behind a protective layer for further protection.

and i agree about wax not doing anything as far as removing oxidation, but its not a bad idea to put it on after you have polished the plastic or any other suface for futher protection. later.
                Last edited by TypeG; 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                  if it is only dull just a little bit, you could probably just use the polish with no sanding. if you do sand, do wet sanding and don't use any courser than 1000g.

about the painted corners, it will remove the amber paint. later.
                  Ill try this week, I have 1200 and 1500 at home..

The corners then I can't sand but could I at least use the plastic polish on them without sanding or when you say IT WILL REMOVE THE PAINT you refer to the polish?

BTW Thanks for answering

94 del Sol S

Comment

Originally posted by RUM_ACCORD_H22
                    Ill try this week, I have 1200 and 1500 at home..

The corners then I can't sand but could I at least use the plastic polish on them without sanding or when you say IT WILL REMOVE THE PAINT you refer to the polish?

BTW Thanks for answering
                    both sanding and/or the polish will remove the paint.

you could probably just get away with using the polish on the lenses. the longer you rub, the more clear it becomes.

i would only sand the lenses if the is deep nicks or scratches in the plastic. later.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                      both sanding and/or the polish will remove the paint.

you could probably just get away with using the polish on the lenses. the longer you rub, the more clear it becomes.

i would only sand the lenses if the is deep nicks or scratches in the plastic. later.
                      Thank you SIR

94 del Sol S

Comment

damn thats really awesome..i must say. i am gunna give it a try on some stuff. good thinking! didnt know they made such a thing

Check Out My Car

Comment

Great DIY I think im going to be doing my door handles soon, while were on the polishing subject does your mothers polish ever turn to a liquid on you? The one in the little can thats used for polishing metal always seems to go watery on me I think it might be cuz im in phoenix.
                          My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
                            Great DIY I think im going to be doing my door handles soon, while were on the polishing subject does your mothers polish ever turn to a liquid on you? The one in the little can thats used for polishing metal always seems to go watery on me I think it might be cuz im in phoenix.
                            true. it separates in heat and melts like ice cream lol. later.

Comment

What up TypeG?? I took your advice (minus the sanding part) on my JDM 1 pieces, and the lenses look a helluva lot better than they did at first. I might touch em up sometime in the near future so I can get em to look as good as yours . Thx alot 4 the info mane
                              Check out what used to be mine
                              Click Here

Comment

cool. post up some pics if you want. later.

Comment

Working...
                                X