Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dirty Engine Bay? No more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost here, after i purchased my first car, thankfully a CB7, I hated the fact that my engine bay looked hideous and grimy. And honestly cleaning part by part is nearly impossible and takes too much dedication for me.. x.x So here it goes. How to remove the grime from your engine bay and leave it sparkling. (As much as an engine with 200k+ miles can sparkle)

Materials
    -Plenty of Formula 88 or any other strong degreaser
    -Spray bottle for degreaser
    -Lots of tire shine (This is the one I used) http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...re-spray-24oz/
    -Water Hose
    -Dirty CB7

**You can wrap the distributor, alternator, and fuse box in plastic to provide some extra protection** Quoting "deevergote"

Procedures
    1) Start by warming up your engine to regular operating temp. Usually takes 10-15 minutes of Idling.
    2) Turn your engine off and pop your hood.
    3) Start spraying that degreaser EVERYWHERE. All over. Try to avoid the distributor, fuse housing, and alternator. DON'T LET THE DEGREASER SIT.
    4) Hose down all the areas you sprayed with the degreaser immediately. You should immediately see the engine bay come back to life. Respray any areas you see are still dirty.
    5) Let the engine cool COMPLETELY.
    6) Spray the tire shine all over the hoses, wires, basically everything black
    Just spray that stuff everywhere.

That simple. You should see everything come back to life and you won't hate popping your hood of your new ride for your friends.

Simple/My first guide. Hope you guys see the difference

Some Pictures of the after. Sorry no before

Last edited by ghostlow; 06-24-2012, 09:22 PM.

much nicer to work on than a grease pit
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Wrapping the distributor, alternator, and fuse box in plastic would provide a bit of added protection as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Wrapping the distributor, alternator, and fuse box in plastic would provide a bit of added protection as well.
        and please don not clear coat the engine compartment, that looks so used car dealerish

(need a good pic of salesman)
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

My bay regularly sees Simple Green and a pressure washer.

Before:

Comment

Well I'm inspired!
            I need to get my ass out of bed early this weekend so I have time for muh CB7.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Inspiration....lots of that on here.

However, my bright purple bay will only be looking like that til the end of the summer when an H22 will be replacing it and going with a very sombre OEM style.

Comment

Word of caution: avoid using degreasers, such as Greased Lightning, that have alkaline based detergents in them, as they corrode aluminum. Stick to Simple Green or citrus based degreasers.

Comment

Another thing that works well, and won't eat the paint is WD40 and a 1" paint brush. Spray WD on and agitate the grime with brush, spray more wd to "rinse". It is easiest done when the bay is empty- but WOW.
                  My bay had not been touched in its entire life, and it came out wonderfully.
                  This method is good for your hoses and plastic parts too.
                  Last edited by LadyG; 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM.
                  Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Sweet mercy she's clean. I'm scared to have any water hit my engine bay area.
                    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
                      Another thing that works well, and won't eat the paint is WD40 and a 1" paint brush. Spray WD on and agitate the grime with brush, spray more wd to "rinse". It is easiest done when the bay is empty- but WOW.
                      My bay had not been touched in its entire life, and it came out wonderfully.
                      This method is good for your hoses and plastic parts too.
                      Seems like i gotta buy alot of WD40 and try this next time!

Comment

My bay took one large can. I would have liked to have a little more- but one did the job.
                        Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

what about that little peephole in the engine? near the engine code. cover that too?
                          blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

(clean it up with Orbit!)

<-- MRT

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
                              what about that little peephole in the engine? near the engine code. cover that too?
                              Yours must be missing. There should be a rubber plug in that.

Comment

Working...
                              X