Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual transmission not going into reverse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual transmission not going into reverse.

I just picked up an M2S4 transmission from a friend of mine and finally got around to cracking into it. Basically all 5 gears can be selected just fine but reverse wont click in. I pulled the case and inspected the reverse select lever and visually nothing is wrong. Nothing seems bent or out of place. I have a M2F4 for parts and reverse selects fine in that trans, but I don't want to go blindly swapping parts and hope it works. This is my first venture into transmission repair and I'd like to do it right. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and fixed it? Even if someone can explain the repair logic to me, that would be helpful as well.

With the case open, can you video yourself manually shifting it in and out of reverse? And take a slow walk around.
    Last edited by Tishock; 08-09-2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Well once again it seems that I've answered my own question. Be that as it may, I'll post my findings here in the hopes that it may help another member down the road.

After splitting both cases open I was able to take a look at the good reverse setup and gradually figured out why my "good" transmission wasn't going into reverse. After sliding off the synchronizer for reverse I saw that the shift select ring was burred to the point where you couldn't pass it on to the reverse gear (maybe someone letting the clutch out before 5th was fully engaged a few times). After sliding the same assembly off of my parts trans and putting it on to my good trans, the gears fell into place. Everything is now sealed up and shifting fine.

Comment

Working...
      X