No announcement yet.

VTEC not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is true. Quite frankly this is the most technical issue I've ever had to deal with with this car. Everything else is more or less straightforward mechanical work.

Comment

Just to follow up with this, I tried an untouched manual p13 in the car this past weekend and VTEC engaged just fine. Basically it is something specific to the automatic p13 and I think it's safe to say I can rule out the knock sensor as an issue seeing as nothing but the ECU was changed and everything worked again.

I checked my ECU and I have resisters in RP11 and RP12. So you're saying cut out both resisters and just use a small piece of wire to jump the RP12 slot?

Comment

Knock does not disable VTEC, I though someone mentioned that a while ago!

VTEC engagement is based on the following;
        • Engine Speed (RPM)
        • Vehicle speed (VSS) over 10 Km/h.
        • Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) 10*C or higher
        • Engine load (MAP)

If you don't have the VSS hooked up to auto ECU (auto to manual conversion not done properly) this could be your problem? I don't deal with autotragics too much.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I knew that was your problem. Glad we could figure it out.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
            Knock does not disable VTEC, I though someone mentioned that a while ago!

VTEC engagement is based on the following;
            • Engine Speed (RPM)
            • Vehicle speed (VSS) over 10 Km/h.
            • Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) 10*C or higher
            • Engine load (MAP)

If you don't have the VSS hooked up to auto ECU (auto to manual conversion not done properly) this could be your problem? I don't deal with autotragics too much.
            The transmission computer isn't even in the car. The engine computer is receiving a speed signal since it isn't throwing the code. I re-read the replies and it was said that the knock sensor was the problem. I had a hunch it wasn't but I'm no expert. The only reason I'm trying to hunt this down is so I can try and pass on the knowledge to anyone else that may do an auto to 5 speed swap with an H.

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
            I knew that was your problem. Glad we could figure it out.
            I haven't tried what you suggested yet. I just wanted to confirm what you said before taking the soldering iron to it.
            Last edited by Mike1357; 02-10-2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
              I checked my ECU and I have resisters in RP11 and RP12. So you're saying cut out both resisters and just use a small piece of wire to jump the RP12 slot?
              Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
              The transmission computer isn't even in the car. The engine computer is receiving a speed signal since it isn't throwing the code.

This is also why I mentioned "auto to manual conversion not done properly". Your unmodified Auto ECU is still looking for signals from an automatic transmission. Do you still have an auto gauge cluster? Did you ever notice if the D4 light was flashing when you read the codes?

Really doesn't matter though..... convert the auto ECU to manual and see if that fixes the issue!
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Well converting the ECU worked like a charm. I'm not thrilled with the execution on my part, but it works. It's only once you get in there that you remember how small and intricate everything is. Thanks for all the help folks.

Comment

Glad I could help.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                  JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
                  X