Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balance Shaft Seal (if you value your investment, take the time to read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that same belt drive the water pump? So do you just use a smaller belt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that same belt drive the water pump? So do you just use a smaller belt?
      There is the timing belt, which drives the water pump. The balance shaft belt just runs the balance shafts off the crank.

Comment

I just looked at another picture of the balance shaft belt and I guess there are two balance shafts? Although it's kinda interesting that the rear balance shaft doesn't seem to have any timing marks. Unless it's just some sort of idler pulley. So basically that belt can be removed without any adverse affects?

Comment

There's more vibration at idle but if you have good mounts its hardly noticeable. Plus it frees up a little bit of power.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
            I just looked at another picture of the balance shaft belt and I guess there are two balance shafts? Although it's kinda interesting that the rear balance shaft doesn't seem to have any timing marks. Unless it's just some sort of idler pulley. So basically that belt can be removed without any adverse affects?
            Both shafts have timing, and both shafts help balance the engine. The rear shaft is set in time with a pin and timing marks on the oil face plate/gear, and the front is marked on the gear and block. I don't know which shaft balances which action, but they're both there for a reason.

Comment

You gain about 5whp by removing the belt is what I heard, which makes sense. These balance shafts weigh about 9lbs combined so that's worth the savings I think. I removed them on my DD and the vibration isn't horribly noticeable but it is there. But that's only at idle, any other speeds above 1500 RPM its not noticeable.

That's one of the sacrifices you make, but I am averaging 33~34mpg per tank so I think that the engine not having to rotate those is helping that figure.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
              X