h22 swap heart transplant reliablility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22 swap heart transplant reliablility

how reliable are those jdm h22 engines?.i know they have less than like 40k..well im very hesistant on getting my engine..cuz if my car doesnt work..then im not working..and if im not working im not making money....and if i cant make it to school..i dont get paid to go to school....and i cant get my education..so i can make the big bills in the future....yall get what im saying....
    I know when you do engine swaps...you usually encounter problems....can somebody tell me about some problems i might encounter when doing the h22 swap...?? im gonna have my local mechanic do it. Im just very hesistant on doing it because like i said..i need to keep my car reliable...but i want that h22 speed ... for the times i go WOT or im racin that mustang :P
    I mean i know that the h22 is pretty much plug n play with the accord...and im gonna be going from an auto to a manual tranny...
    I guess it all depends on the engine i get ..and where i get it from...and the mechanics doing the work....also how long does it usually take a shop to do a swap from h22 and auto to manual swap... ??
    when i get the engine ...what should i do to make sure its running a ok? i know your usualy oil change etc... etc...
    sorry if this seems like a waste of thread...but any advice would be helpful... i need to just do it like NIke... drop me some gems on the h22 swap. any advice greatly appreciated.

Well my auto - 5sp. swap / h22 project ended up taking about a few months to complete! Obviously that's not what I was initially told but in the end everything so far is working out - just learned the value of patience and a few other things:

* 1Lesson: Research, Research, Research ...

* 2Lesson: Buy all your parts first ... (big part of the delays - no parts, no can continue work). Junk yards are your best friend.

* 3Lesson: (If possible) Work with someone who does swaps regularly. The guys involved in my swap were B-series pros.

* 4Lesson: Have $$ funds ready & expect some delays.

BTW: YES, you do have to weld the accord 5sp. trans. mount and REMOVE the auto trans. mount. along w/ tapping the trans. casing.

Hope that helps.

when i get the engine ...what should i do to make sure its running a ok? i know your usualy oil change etc... etc...
    sorry if this seems like a waste of thread...but any advice would be helpful... i need to just do it like NIke... drop me some gems on the h22 swap. any advice greatly appreciated.
    Definitely change timing belt/water pump/rear main seal/clutch/flywheel/all new fluids (oil, MTF, coolant, etc.). Better do it now while the whole engine is out of the car - so much easier to change all of that stuff. But if you've still got a lot of life/meat on the clutch you may want to pass - up to you ...
    Last edited by cyclonus_cb7; 09-28-2005, 08:50 PM.
    www.StreetLightz.com

Comment

UPDATE: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16228

AND

I also heard/read something about changing the tensioner from auto to a manual tensioner (which I myself have to take a look at).
      www.StreetLightz.com

Comment

They are really as reliable as any other honda engine. But if you rev it up to redline ALL the time, chances are you could break something. There have been many more blown engines due to stupid stuff that happens when you rev high. My h22's rod bearings are going, its a pain and now I have to get an f22 so i can swap it in while i fix the h22.

But if you pay a bunch of money for the h22, i dont know if it would be worth it. it all just depends. But aside from getting the first bugs out, the h22s are pretty reliable.

but h23's IMO would be a bit more reliable. Less extras (vtec) = less things to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
          ...yall get what im saying ...
          I think I do. My CB7 is a daily driver too. What you and I both would need is access to another car, plain and simple.

It's a fact that once you get into the realm of swaps with any car, you sort of cross an imaginary line from reliable driver to play toy --- at least initially. But as cyclonus_cb7 states, that "initially" can take quite a while.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Well thats the thing do it right the first time, if it dont need to be fucked with dont touch it.

Comment

shit my car will be down for about a week when my motor goes in, and with all the tuning and such. imm taking the bus or my bike to work! lol

but yeah, they are just as reliable and a new car is! lol..basically giving you car new life!...just get it from some where reputable with the motors, just dont buy one from someone on the side of the road that tells you its good to go.

and down time, i wouldnt worrey about that, some shops can do it all in one day!..just depends on how fast they get it in, how well oyu know them, and what all needs to be done, ive helped with a couple swaps, doesnt take that long at all, just depends on what problems you run into while doing it..like you cant find this piece, wheres this go, why is this sitting here...simple things.
              Last edited by lowoctane; 10-04-2005, 07:52 AM.

^sold

Comment

NO! thats not true most shops will bullshit you theyll get the motor in but they wont be ready to run hard in the smae day most shops are backed up with work and they take their time with other cars by stopping what they are doin and push your shit to the back when you leaving your shit to the side. Me i deal with cb7s in general and i have people come with the parts ready and if they dont i can get em thats all i deal with is cb7s.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                  NO! thats not true most shops will bullshit you theyll get the motor in but they wont be ready to run hard in the smae day most shops are backed up with work and they take their time with other cars by stopping what they are doin and push your shit to the back when you leaving your shit to the side. Me i deal with cb7s in general and i have people come with the parts ready and if they dont i can get em thats all i deal with is cb7s.

which is why i said, SOME lol, and how well you know them!..if you dont know them, expect it to be there from anywhere from 2days-2weeks.

^sold

Comment

i didin't change any water pump or timing belt or clutch.....why should i? my engine was virtually brand new. a clutch is good for like...200 000km. i'll change it when i have to. i got my engine locally from japan motor import, some of you have dealt with them, and my next door neighbor works there and did the swap at the importer, so i had no trust issues, if he said it was good, then it is good.

Comment

I've found my H22a to be extreamly reliable. No problem, I've already put 20k miles on it. She run's like a champ. Just don't drive it into the ground, and keep up on your maintance and i'm sure you wont have any problems =)
                      2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                      JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                      My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Listen before you piss in your pants, if you are going to be smart go buy a guide book for this. The web site is "http://www.ultimateresourceguides.com/index.html" because if you dont your just wasting money. Listen the guide book tells you everything, from what parts to buy to how to assmenble it in the engine bay. If you decide to go with this you will save a lot of money. The 4th gen accords need this because they dont have the power to produce that we want, even with mods and a turbo, the H22A will responed to any mods including turbos, but you need electronic computers to make everything work. Also 27 pros tryed to do it buy this book an successfuly made it work. Also it gives you troubleshooting for any problems you will encounter. GOOD LUCK!
                        Proud owner of a 93 and 96 Honda Accord LX's

Comment

Swap it over from auto to manual if the tranny is out it should take no more than 3-5 hours. With 2 people 1 for the welding bit and the other for putting in the resevoir and pedals and such with cluster .

Comment

Working...
                          X