Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Negative camber good or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative camber good or not?

Been thinking of setting a my accord on negative camber eventually. I would like to know if setting the accord on a negative camber affect the tire wear, scrape on the fender or other issues. Or is it better overall to just lower the accord. Would like to know since the negative camber looks pretty awesome but don't want any issues that come along with it.

Its all about the look. Not the function of the car. Tires wear like shit, depending on how much negative camber you have you can burn through a set of tires in a couple hundred miles.

Its not for the daily driver AT ALL. It handles like ass too.

Too much negative camber and you will have to roll the rear fenders.

Just get some quality struts and springs. It will ride better, corner better and look better. You will notice a massive improvement over the stock springs/struts.

Neuspeed, Tein, Ground Control, Eibach are some good springs, Good struts are Konis really. What type depend on what type of spring you want.

How low would you like to go? Coilovers might be an option for you too depending on what your looking for.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM.

Comment

It will destroy your tires over time, especially if you don't get an alignment.

Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Any amount of negative camber that you add that is useful for cornering/handling will be very hard to see visibly.

Comment

Correct. And anything you can see will cause you to ride on the sides of the tires... not very safe when you have tread, extremely unsafe after a few thousand miles when that tread has worn out. The intended contact patch of a tire is in the center. With extreme negative camber, that contact patch becomes the inner edge.

Comment

As close to 0 as you can get, some negative camber (not a whole lot -.5 or so) is needed but not a severe amount even when lowered (corrected by camber kit) is your best bet. Safe and done right is always the best way.
            The CB7 Collector.
            Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
            92 LX Coupe F22A1
            2013 Toyota Corolla S
            92 EX Sedan F22A1
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

^^^ Yep

Name brand springs, depending on the drop Koni Yellows or Oranges, Ingalls front camber kit, Megan or SPC rear camber arms, and new strut mount bushings. Then take it to have an alignment.

Any lower than 2.75" Id suggest looking at Function & Form Type 1 Coilovers. Mainly because after 2.75 and lower most people are wanting to slam the car and are not concerned as much with handling.

Still with the coilovers the Ingalls front camber kit and the Megan or SPC rear camber kit is needed along with an alignment.

Comment

I'll keep it short because this always starts huge arguments that go on and on. But a little negative camber will help with handling, but only to a certain extent. Also, a little negative camber won't hurt your tire wear, but be aware when you change camber you need to get an alignment, as the toe will change and toe will destroy tires faster than camber. I've run -2 camber on my trucks with no ill effects on tire wear as long as the toe is kept straight. Weight distribution also makes a difference. My accord has -3.3 camber in the front, and it wears the inside of the tire a bit even with the toe correct. The rear has easily -6 with almost no camber wear at all.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Originally posted by bassrock234 View Post
                  I'll keep it short because this always starts huge arguments that go on and on. But a little negative camber will help with handling, but only to a certain extent. Also, a little negative camber won't hurt your tire wear, but be aware when you change camber you need to get an alignment, as the toe will change and toe will destroy tires faster than camber. I've run -2 camber on my trucks with no ill effects on tire wear as long as the toe is kept straight. Weight distribution also makes a difference. My accord has -3.3 camber in the front, and it wears the inside of the tire a bit even with the toe correct. The rear has easily -6 with almost no camber wear at all.
                  I agree mostly. Toe kills tires worse than camber. And slight negative camber will help handling.

Im lowered on STRTs and Eibach Pros with a proper alignment.

No camber kit.

My front is -2.25 and the rear is -1.86

Im wearing tires pretty bad in the front but in the rear its not wearing abnormal at all. Im running 80,000 mile Good Year Viva 2s 195-60R15.

Alignment machines will show the numbers up in red anything + or - .75 meaning for the opperator to fix.

-3.3 is way to much negative camber for wearing tires. Unless your hellaflush or dont care. -2.0 I wouldnt be content with either. But by the pic in your sig I can see why you like it that way. It looks bad ass!
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

well with the trucks the -2 was natural camber, and they dont make camber kits for them. My car had -6.3 natural camber before I put the camber kits on, they brought it down to -3.3. The rear I had to run that much camber to fit the wheels (and honestly I dont have an exact number for the rear since it hasn't been on a rack since then) But I don't really beat my car or run it hard so I don't mind the camber so much.

To the op, just drop the car, it will look way better and you'll gain negative camber whenever you do drop it. Stock height with negative camber would just look goofy IMO
                    Last edited by bassrock234; 12-31-2012, 05:32 AM.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

I have a friend with an 80s Chevy 4x4. He has like -4.30 negative camber in the front. He has a solid axle and says the only way to fix it is by replacing the worn ball joints. That would suck.

Comment

I have my drag car set up i with .5+ in rear and -.5 in front so that when we launch and under WOT loads my alignment is as close to 0 all amount the board.

So it just goes to show you that everyone sets their alignment up to their specifications and what they want out of there car.

Some European vehicles come factory with neg camber. So it is fine to a degree.

IMO there is a point where to much is ridiculous though

Comment

Like I said, The front on mine is -2.25 and Im wearing tires out. I dont remember what my toe is but it was green on the chart which is good.

Here is the front:

And here is the rear:

Comment

Damn, its looking pretty bad.

Comment

its not bad i just go to the junk yard and get new tires every oil change its $50 where i stay at

im -5 in the front and -4 in the rear, d2 coilovers slammed to the ground & spc front balljoint & godspeed camber kit

but i just got my alignment so the toe is fine, haven't needed new tires yet since november

Comment

Working...
                              X