Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad vibration in front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad vibration in front end

i have a really bad vibration going on when I get over 50 mph..it gets a little better the faster I go..Have had the tires balanced and other stuff done but nothing has helped so far ..does anyone have any ideas on what I can try to fix this problem??

Tire balance is always the first thing to consider. Even though you had them balanced, you could always try rotating the tires to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes the tire technicians don't do a very good job...
    Also, your wheels could be bent. With enough damage, a wheel can be impossible to balance properly.

Alignment is another possible problem. If your alignment is off, you'll notice a vibration.

Blown shocks could cause a vibration.

Warped brake rotors could cause a vibration (you'd notice it much more when braking, though.)

Worn suspension bushings could cause a vibration.

Worn tie rods could cause a vibration.

Comment

Although you had it "balanced" how balanced they were able to get it is another question.

Was it vibrating after the balance or before?

Not all wheels are balanced pefectly even after applying the weights and how perfect they are able to get it is a question of time, experience and how much pressure they are under on the day (in other words human factor).

I suggest in the future that you speak with the people that balanced it and ask how it went. Sometimes they would report that they were able to balance it easily or sometimes report that there is an anomaly with either the rims or the tyres and give a more detailed (verbal) feed back.

Secondly look at the front axles. The longest one would normally have a rubber balancer on it somewhere close to the centre. If the CV joints have been replaced or the boot replaced this rubber is not reinstalled.

If it was fine after being balanced but then developed the vibration after a few days or weeks, then it could be the result of one of the balancing weights being dislodged.
      Rides:

Accord
      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

The vibration started before we got the tires balanced and we did get an alignment but it never helped.

We have replaced a lot off parts on the car to try to figure it out with no luck.

I think our next move is replacing the bushings to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Comment

Originally posted by HondaMomma6 View Post
          The vibration started before we got the tires balanced and we did get an alignment but it never helped.

We have replaced a lot off parts on the car to try to figure it out with no luck.

I think our next move is replacing the bushings to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
          Definitely check the upper control arm bushings. I had a pretty noticeable vibration, even after replacing both upper arms w/ balljoints. Turned out the bolt holding the control arm bushings, even though they were new, had not been tightened enough and would cause a vibration on the highway. Thanks Autozone. I tightened them up and the car is smooth as butter.

So chances are, if yours are original, they're probably shot and need replacement. They make a BIG impact on eliminating vibrations.

But things that could cause vibrations:
          -upper/lower balljoints
          -Axles
          -Bent wheels
          -Separated tires
          -Brakes (upon decelerating only usually_
          -Motor mounts (if the rubber is that far gone, could cause the engine to sit cocked)

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Any replacement suspension components are best purchased directly from Honda. There are some poorly made cheap suspension parts out there that can actually be dangerous. Honda stuff is a little more expensive, but it will last another 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              Definitely check the upper control arm bushings. I had a pretty noticeable vibration, even after replacing both upper arms w/ balljoints. Turned out the bolt holding the control arm bushings, even though they were new, had not been tightened enough and would cause a vibration on the highway. Thanks Autozone. I tightened them up and the car is smooth as butter.

So chances are, if yours are original, they're probably shot and need replacement. They make a BIG impact on eliminating vibrations.

But things that could cause vibrations:
              -upper/lower balljoints
              -Axles
              -Bent wheels
              -Separated tires
              -Brakes (upon decelerating only usually_
              -Motor mounts (if the rubber is that far gone, could cause the engine to sit cocked)
              thanks . things that have been done so far to the car :

alignment, tire balancing, replaced outer tie rod ends, axles and motor mounts. also the upper control arms have been replaced with ball joints.

after all those things the vibration is still there. the vibration is felt in the steering wheel and at my feet. It gets really bad around 50mph and the faster I go it starts to go away. I had the tires rotated to see if that would change anything and nothing.

what next ??????? i want to drive this thing without worrying something might fall off cause that is what it feels like sometimes. Yes the lugnuts are tight. !!!

Comment

might be your cv axles. mine went bad and it shook so bad it bounced change out of the ash tray.
                COUPE K24

Comment

you said you replaced axles, but what brand or store did you get them from? Quality of the reman. also makes a difference.

FYI, never buy Autozone axles...they're a big disappointment. I hope you didn't get yours from there

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I got the axles from were I work.

They are new not remans.

I guess we are just going to go through everything one by one until we fix the problem..dont really have much of a choice..makes me nervous to drive it now days!!

Comment

Do you think it could be something with the radius rod bushings???

Originally posted by Devergote
                      A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords View Post
                        Do you think it could be something with the radius rod bushings???
                        It could be. They are bushings are a fairly large. When mine loosened I had similar symptoms to if they went bad:
                        Torque steer
                        An odd noise (it's the threads rubbing against metal)
                        Vibration on the highway
                        The car will steer itself

If they're really bad they'll bounce back and forth. I've seen a video before but I can't find it right now.
                        MRT
                        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                        Originally posted by Tippey764
                        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I think that is the next to be changed on the car.

really hoping that it works so we want have to keep looking for the problem.

Comment

Diagnosing before replacing is usually the way to go. Otherwise you'll spend a ton.
                            If you want to do the bushings, and want a bit of an upgrade, I'd recommend the Prothane master bushing kit. It comes with almost every single bushing in our cars. It's much stiffer, but will eliminate most problems associated with bushings.

A few notes: They're made on demand, so when you order it expect it to take a few weeks
                            It's fairly exhausting to put them in. If you can afford to pay a shop to do it, just go buy another car
                            They're much stiffer than stock.
                            MRT
                            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                            Originally posted by Tippey764
                            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I would put all vibrating problem vehicles on a lift and have someone else duplicate the vibration while watching from underneath. Pretty easy to tell what is causing it this way, if you have access to a lift. Should be in the front end since you can feel it in the steering wheel. The only things this method wo'nt diagnose would be anything that has to do with the tire touching the ground. (ex. suspension) Suspension components can easily be checked for looseness or anything else by lifting it off the ground and doing a "shakedown". Wiggling the tires back and forth from side to side & top to bottom. Then have someone else looking for something moving that should'nt.
                              Last edited by WagonLX; 01-02-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X