Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ball joints problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ball joints problem.

hey tuners think i might be having a ball joint or could it be bad bushes.car has new axles on driver side.it a 90 lx 4dr.i'm hearing a bumpping sound when i'm turnning in my drive way.my steering wheel also moves left to right a little.what you think it could be.

Could be any number of things. Get under there and look.

Ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
    Look for torn boots on any ball joints, torn or worn rubber elsewhere... And get an alignment.

Comment

They won't give him an alignment until his ball joints are fixed up anyway.

Comment

19TcappaLX

do you know the price of a new ball joint repair.

Comment

Originally posted by 19TcappaLX View Post
          do you know the price of a new ball joint repair.
          $20, you do it yourself.

Comment

19TcappaLX

will i need a 4 wheel alinement on my cb7.its not lowed let.

Comment

jack up the front of the car till the wheels are off. now shake the wheel by the top & bottom. if you got play your upper/lower ball joints might be bad.

now shake the wheel by the left & right. if you got play your tie rod ball joint might be bad

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Top and bottom play could also be a wheel bearing.

Look at the ball joint boots. If they are torn, replace the joint. It IS possible to replace the boots only, but if the joints have begun to dry at all, it's safest to just get new. Balljoint failure is sudden, and will cause total loss of control. Do that at 65mph, and you could die... or kill someone.

Get your joints from Honda. About $25, a little less, I think. Don't cheap out on the ball joints to save a couple dollars... it's not worth your car, or your life.

Comment

19TcappaLX

Thanks guys for the reply,i think i better get that problem fix very soon.

Comment

that sound is from your upper control arms.
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Jack it up, and put a Breaker bar under the tire and pry uppwards, if there is play, the n you have bad ball joints.
                      90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

Whats wrong with getting a complete kit like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...spagenameZWDVW

I figure its better to do both at the same time. I've been using ebay parts like these in other cars with no problems.... but then again I dont lower cars or race them.
                        AD5OS
                        FOLDING@home

Comment

AD5OS has got it, just buy the front end rebuild kit, thats actually real cheap
                          90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

Originally posted by AD5OS View Post
                            Whats wrong with getting a complete kit like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...spagenameZWDVW

I figure its better to do both at the same time. I've been using ebay parts like these in other cars with no problems.... but then again I dont lower cars or race them.
                            People have used those cheap parts and been fine. Others have had them fail.

The parts don't cost that much more from Honda. Cheap out on your stereo. Cheap out on your body kit. Cheap out on your seat covers. DO NOT cheap out on your suspension and braking system. Your life rides on that stuff, as well as the lives of anyone with you, or anyone in your path when you lose control due to the failure of an important part.

"Hey, it sucks that I killed that 12 year old schoolgirl when I lost control and veered off the road onto the sidewalk, but I don't care... I saved $50!"

Will they work? Yes, for a time. Will they fail? Maybe. It's more likely that cheap parts like that will fail long before Honda parts. Aside from ripped boots, ball joints give no warning. They're good, and your wheels look like this | |. Then they fail, and one wheel looks like this | \. Imagine that at 65mph.

Originally posted by CB7Jay1 View Post
                            AD5OS has got it, just buy the front end rebuild kit, thats actually real cheap
                            Go by a Chevy Aveo (made by Daewoo). They're real cheap. I'm sure it'll last.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                              People have used those cheap parts and been fine. Others have had them fail.

The parts don't cost that much more from Honda. Cheap out on your stereo. Cheap out on your body kit. Cheap out on your seat covers. DO NOT cheap out on your suspension and braking system. Your life rides on that stuff, as well as the lives of anyone with you, or anyone in your path when you lose control due to the failure of an important part.

"Hey, it sucks that I killed that 12 year old schoolgirl when I lost control and veered off the road onto the sidewalk, but I don't care... I saved $50!"

Will they work? Yes, for a time. Will they fail? Maybe. It's more likely that cheap parts like that will fail long before Honda parts. Aside from ripped boots, ball joints give no warning. They're good, and your wheels look like this | |. Then they fail, and one wheel looks like this | \. Imagine that at 65mph.

Go by a Chevy Aveo (made by Daewoo). They're real cheap. I'm sure it'll last.
                              No shit, thats real talk. i used the cheap ebay stuff on the last cb and was gonna use the same on this cb i just got but i decided to wait and save some more and get the good oem stuff so i dont have to change them a year from now.
                              1993 Accord LX - Sold
                              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Working...
                              X