Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Short Throw Shifter by BustedLX

*Warning: Long winded post:*

Hey all, I did it. Wow, what a difference. After doing it I now understand it so much better.

Things I bought:

- Pack of Stanley 3" brackets (comes with 4)
    - 2 1/4" by 1.5" bolts
    - 1 5/16" by 1" bolt
    - 2 1/4" nylon lock nuts
    - 1 5/16" nylon lock nut
    - Foam tape used for A/C applications (you don't need it but it seemed like a good idea at the time).

Tools I used:
    - Drill Press
    - Vice
    - Die Grinder
    - File

The 3" brackets come with 4 holes. I drilled the two first to 1/4" and the third to 5/16". One bracket I cut in half and the other I cut just after the third hole. I filed the edges so it would be more or less smooth and that was about it.

Here are the pix of the finish product.

Take special notice to the front where the cables snap in. Notice I bent it forward towards the front of the car. I used a vice and cresent wrench to do it as evenly as possible and only to one side.

The other side doesn't need to be bent at all because it remains stock. Bending this is a must because you must take stress off the cable. A vice is the best way to do it.

The best thing about this mod is that you can compare the before and after so easily. You can just switch between the bracket you made and the OEM very easily to see how much improvment you've made. It is seriously amazing the difference this makes. I'm really happy with it.

The picture are of course before I adjusted the height of my bracket. The way I photographed it was awesome but after trying to install the center console the cable was rubbing the underside of the cup holder thingy. So I had to move the bracket down to give it better clearance.

I lubed everything really good with white lithium grease. Once everything was together and not binding it moved really well. I'd have to say about 1" to 1.5" of throw is now gone which is really awesome.

This is one of the cheapest and best mods you can do. Yeah it would be nice to have the 4bidden one because it's nice and clean and bent a little differently but this works so well I can't justify the money to buy the 4bidden one. Plus because even with the 4bidden one I'm sure you'd have to bend that plate anyway.

So that's that. Oh yeah before I forget, when you do this don't concern yourself with making your bracket long. Just move it up. Moving it up is what makes the throw shorter, making the bracket longer would just make the shift further back and probably cause more issues then it would be worth. So remember short like mine and up just above the welded notch on the shift lever.

Have Fun!!!

Jose
    email@josebellas.com

I personally did this mod a couple days ago and it absolutely rocks, only spent $3CDN on the parts and it was about a half hour of work...I think mine took out a bit more throw, feels about 2" less. On a sidenote to the writeup, make sure you have the threaded side of the bolt (the side where the nut goes on) pointing to the driver's seat, you will have clearance problems otherwise. Enjoy, I know I am! Thanks Jose!
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-06-2006, 01:54 AM.

mad props dude... mad props
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

sorry to sound like an idiot but saying i dont understand this DIY is an understatement. I have no idea how to do this mod after reading this many times. if someone could mabye make a more basic explanation that would be great.

thanks
      1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

Well that isn't the whole DIY, That's just my post from the DIY off Hondasociety. If you search Hondasociety you can find the complete thread.
        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

not to be a dick here, but then isnt this thread in the wrong section?
          2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
          2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

does anyone have a link to the thread at HS? Ive been looking and searching for about 30 minutes, and cant find it. I wanna try to do this when I go home this weekend. Thanks

Comment

http://board.hondasociety.com/showth...threadid=76368
              My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by chessboxer
                not to be a dick here, but then isnt this thread in the wrong section?
                Where else would instructions for making something yourself go?

Busted's DIY is quite easy to follow, I don't think it can be any easier...it's all I used for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by WeDgE
                  Where else would instructions for making something yourself go?

Busted's DIY is quite easy to follow, I don't think it can be any easier...it's all I used for mine.
                  well considering the rules require you to have instructions in your diy, the original post kinda left us hanging. So, now with the link its ok, but initially, i thought it out of place due to the lack of instructions.

Comment

well he included a parts list and a pic of it completed, and i thought it was simple enough that it was self explanitory, but i can see where ur coming from.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

some of us just arent very good with seeing a pic and then recreating it. the whole thing is good though, and if i were to mess around there a little im sure i could do i, its just that off hand it seemed hard for me to figure it out, and not very instructive, im just not good with the whole reverse engineering stuff. and i wasnt trying to start anything, i was just wondering out loud.

Comment

nice DIY man... i actually invented all this in my head a while ago and just been too lazy to pick up the hardware try it yet, but good to know it actually works! i might get off my ass and actually do it now :P
                        MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                        i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                        the engine was still there...
                        ...silly light!

Comment

w00t!

did it in like 20 mins (including travelling time to Canadian Tire for hardware) and paid $1.62

Real easy mod, and cheap as hell. feels super tight, no notchyness at all. great post buddy, everyone go do it now!

you also might wanna do something i did so shorten the height of the shifter to go with the short throw, instead of having the lever bucket mounted on the top of the shift plate, get some longer bolts and mount it underneath. because of the lip around the outside of the bucket, it doesnt sit flush to the bottom and takes almost an inch off the height of the lever

sorry for the ugly-ass dirty interior, its middle of winter, what do you expect
                          MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                          i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                          the engine was still there...
                          ...silly light!

Comment

I cant wait to get home and do this...prolly be doing it on Sat or sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

i read that webpage, thanks BustedLX but i still dont see instructions. All i see is a parts list and a broken link to where I can download the DIY. Do you really need a drill press or could i just buy the materials and install with the brackets as they come (i dont know where to find a drill press let alone use one). Other than that I am beginning to get it.

Thank You
                              Growguy
                              Last edited by growguy; 01-21-2004, 11:23 PM.
                              1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

Working...
                              X