Trying to change my WiFi channel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to change my WiFi channel...

I did the diagnostics scan to get the recommended channels, but now can't figure out how to actually change the one I'm on. I tried entering my IP address (10.0.0.5) into an internet browser like the guides I'm finding online say to, but I just get a "This Page Isn't Working" message.

This on a MacBook Pro using Comcast, if that matters.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-26-2017, 05:07 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Assuming your wifi is the comcast modem/router you would enter in your default gateway to get to the config page of the modem. From there, login, change wifi settings. ifconfig in a command prompt/console should get you the default gateway. Also I recommend a wifi app on your phone to tell you who has what channel ID around you so you can isolate yours from the rest.

Best of luck.

Comment

... uh, what? Gateway? Modem pages?

Computers aren't my thing at all, so I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, lol.

*ED. - entered "default gateway" into Google and found this walkthrough:

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Browsing...ur_Modem#toc_2

Thanks!
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ya, i'm not clicking on that, looks too spamy. But let me help ya. The Telco modem is the unit they came and installed when you got internet. It's probably an Motorola, Arris-Surfboard, Actiontek, LanTronics, etc. It's also the thing you plug into to get internet. It may look like .

To find default gateway (DG) on a MAC:

Wi-Fi: Click Advanced in the bottom right-hand corner of the window, and then select the TCP/IP tab. You'll find the default gateway address listed next to Router.

Ethernet: You'll find your modem's default gateway address next to Router as shown below.

Once you have the default gateway address (it will probably be a 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) you enter it in to the browser.

ex: http://192.168.2.1

This should bring up a configuration page for the router. The name of the device on this page should match to the physical device. From here you need to login. Google the username/password if you are not sure. Some ideas are:

admin/admin
        admin/ (nothing)
        root/root

Then you are finding the wifi section. Let's keep in mind Comcast may have instructions on their website showing you how to do this. Maybe this...

Comment

So if you don't know what a default gateway is, why you trying to change channels? Whats the problem you're trying to fix?
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Are you using the Comcast device that is both modem and router in one? If so, those things are notorious for being wonky. I have a few friends at Comcast, and every one of them has said they're awful. I use mine as a modem only, and run through a half-decent Netgear router that I picked up.

I've always managed to force my devices to work (when the devices themselves weren't utter shite), but unfortunately I rarely actually knew what I was doing. I just utilized the Comcast help page/forum a LOT!

Comment

Accordwgnguy, it's to solve slow internet speeds. I did a search on how to speed it up, since Kaspersky is telling me my laptop is clean, and that was one of the better sounding tips. I did the diagnostics scan to see how many other local users were on the same channel, and a lot of us are on the same one. It gave me a couple channel recommendations, so I'm wanting to switch to one of those to see if it helps.

Raf, that link I posted gave me the same walkthrough you did. I entered the default gateway into a web browser and the Xfinity site came up once but I tried to reload because it was acting like it wasn't wanting to load after I entered the user/pw, and now I can't get the login screen to appear at all. It's "loading" but staying blank.

And I knew what the modem itself is; it was the "pages" part that threw me off.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Deev, it's the two-in-one. Same unit Raf posted, actually. I'll have a poke around the Comcast forums to see what people are doing about that.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Changing the wifi channel seems to have done the trick, by the way. My internet was getting slow as hell, but now it's all quick again

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                  X