Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might need to buy another car for a work commute. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably not the best combination for affordable repairs, fuel economy, or resisting the urge to modify! Though I've always loved the sc300.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned the 1st gen Insight? Then you can join ecomodders and see how they get 60+ mpg

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I checked into them. I honestly wouldn't mind one, though I do fear (as with any old, cheap hybrid) that they might need expensive battery pack replacement.
        I think I found a decent looking 1st gen Insight around me for about $2500. They're actually going to be very collectible quite soon, I imagine! (again, a good thing... but probably not a good thing for an intended work beater!)

Comment

A Cressida maybe? Although it will always be begging for a turbo swap. 300zx can also be had cheap, not fuel efficient but they are stylish cars
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I6 isn't very efficient, though I do love a cressida!
            I'm trying to avoid anything that would be a project, or make me want to modify it. Granted, I always want to modify anything.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I6 isn't very efficient, though I do love a cressida!
              I'm trying to avoid anything that would be a project, or make me want to modify it. Granted, I always want to modify anything.
              The Cressida and ES300 fuel economy is the same, i just threw it out there because of that. I think every car i have owned turned into some type of project, whether it was hunting down OEM parts that were optional to little upgrades but they always do

Comment

I managed to avoid modding my Fit. I'm hoping I can do the same with something else!

I'm now looking at CarMax for their warranty. Apparently it's better than cpo in many cases. I won't be buying anything soon, but it's good to have an idea what I'll be looking for when it's time!

Comment

I managed to avoid modding my Fit. I'm hoping I can do the same with something else!

I'm now looking at CarMax for their warranty. Apparently it's better than cpo in many cases. I won't be buying anything soon, but it's good to have an idea what I'll be looking for when it's time!
                  Man, everytime i see Honda Fit i immediately remember those "fit are go" commercials . There was a 5 spd Fit for sale here for under 3k a lttle while ago, blue with about 120k miles.

Comment

Wow. I sold my 09 for $1200 with 390,000 miles! Probably could've gotten more, but I sold it to a friend and cb7tuner, and he came along at the right time with money in hand. I kinda miss it. It would've been good to have right now!

Comment

Now I'm considering an older Prius. 1st gen models can be had for under $2000. 2nd gen with high miles can be had for $2500 or so.

The thought of having an extremely fuel-efficient car that I would have NO desire to modify is getting more appealing, despite the fact that I'll have to get it inspected every 2 years.
                      There's a reason why a lot of taxi companies choose this car specifically for their fleets. They'll easily go 400k before needing anything major with the battery. The key is to buy one that already has one replaced recently and you'll be golden.

Its a super reliable car that you'll never have to worry about. Anything Toyota related really is reliable. I still drive my LS400 each day to work w/ 283k miles...I used to drive 80 miles a day in it, now its about 18 miles roundtrip lol.
                      Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-18-2017, 12:21 AM.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

If I could find a Prius with a warranty (CarMax is a definite option), that would be a very good pick.

Now I've flipped back to just using the cts-v. How much resolve value, fuel cost, and repair cost will it take to equal the value of a decent commuter (and the $2000 yearly insurance it adds to the already shameful amount we are paying for the 3 current vehicles!) Maybe the caddy isn't all that bad a pick after all!

Comment

Now I'm thinking CB7/CB9, 1st gen TSX (I have to look into major problems and cost of maintenance/repair... it's largely an Accord, so I'm thinking it might not be too obscene...),
                          Congratulations on the new job. I can provide some insight on owning a high-mileage CL9 TSX. Mine is a 2005 6-speed with 205,000 miles. The maintenance schedule is more relaxed compared to the CB7, but some things should be noted. The single major expense I went through was the A/C compressor shitting itself (and taking all the other A/C lines along with it). That was $800 in parts.

The next major problem area that TSXs are known for are the axles. They WILL start going bad around 170,000 miles, and apparently ALL aftermarket replacements are junk. OEM remanufactured axles from Honda will cost $540 for the pair. I have crappy aftermarket units at the moment, and I'm saving up to purchase the proper OEM remans parts to stop the minor clicking.

Besides that, however, the car has been very rock solid despite all my attempts to drive it to the ground. Only after 200,000 miles have certain things started failing. I recently replaced the alternator, power steering pump, and serpetine belt when the former two items started failing. Parts are cheap because the OEM Accord/Element/CR-V parts fit perfectly.

Did I mention I'm still on the original clutch?

Right now, these cars are very cheap on the used car market. Finding one for $5000 is possible.

If you're ever in the Detroit area, you have an open invite to a test drive.
                          Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                          2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                          2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Thanks! And thanks for the TSX info. That makes me feel better about buying a cheap one, if it comes to that. A TSX is still high on my list (right now I have about 4 options that I'm considering.) From the sound of it, that likely won't get bumped out of consideration until I make my final decision!

Comment

My neighbor may be selling a 2002 Civic HX coupe 5 speed, only 105,000 miles. Meticulous owner, garaged. He claims 45 mpg.
                              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

From an HX, I could believe it! Those things are crazy efficient.

For the time being, I've decided to just put the miles on the CTS-V. It hasn't been TOO bad (costing me about $50 per week in gas.) I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'm looking for. I'm regularly bouncing between "cheap, efficient, reliable beater" and "interesting daily that makes a statement, while being affordable, reliable, and reasonably efficient". I'm also leaning toward "something different and useful". I know. That sounds utterly ridiculous. Those three things basically cover... well... practically any car short of the top-tier luxury V8+ vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X