seafoam amount to clean injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seafoam amount to clean injectors

I got a 92 accord ex coupe stock f22a6. Everything has been tuned up from fuel filter to wires to plugs. Even porting my own egr plugs and cleaning that egr valve also. I put 2 16oz cans of seafoam gas treatment in a full tank of gas expecting this would clean my injectors. I don't think it did. I am getting about 17mpg in the city. Was expecting more after i cleaned egr system and put 2 cans of seafoam to clean my injectors. Do i need a higher ratio to clean those injectors. Like a half of a can with only 2 gallons left in tank or something?

it works over timeeeee, adding more then whats recommended could do harm. Throw a gallon of lacquer thinner in the gas tank or find some to swap in and have them professionally serviced (which is only like 15-20 bucks an injector) or youtube the diy method

Comment

What makes you think your injectors are dirty enough to cause your poor mileage? What else did you do for your tune up? Any codes? Set timing? How good is your compression? Brakes dragging?
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        What makes you think your injectors are dirty enough to cause your poor mileage? What else did you do for your tune up? Any codes? Set timing? How good is your compression? Brakes dragging?
        Timing set,valves adjusted, new timing belt also, pcv valve, plenum cleaned, brakes aren't dragging btw. When i took the fuel rail off and replaced the injector seals there was alot of carbon build up around it. Previous never did any maintenance and i seriously doubt those injectors have been cleaned in last 150k miles(car has 246k). Also the fitv and iacv have been cleaned. Got new tires on it also, x-13 ice michelins(i live in colorado). Also new front control arms and new kyb shocks all around.Many other new parts also. So much too list really, its been almost mechanically rebuilt it seems. Compression i have never tested and i'm sure it isn't perfect but engine runs great and idles perfect. Any gear can hold it on a slight hill also i think. I should try that and it might give me a clue if my compression is bad.Am going to do a diy injector clean i think. I just thought this seafoam would do it for me.

[edit] i just did a rough compression inspection(or at least i think so). I checked if all my gears without emergency brake would hold it going backwards on a 15 degree slant i would say(hard to say actually but a decent to average uphill parking). Seems to be ok. 4th gear didn't hold it going backwards on a good 15 degree slant. So i think it cant be bad. But i have no ideal. I think a smaller slant and 4th gear would hold.Anyone ever done this. [edit]
        Last edited by zedjr10; 06-18-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Seems to me that it would be lot easier to just get a compression tester. I know you replaced the plugs and wires; what kind of shape is your distributor in (still original?)?

Any intake manifold I've taken off typically has a fair amount of carbon around the injectors, but the end of the injector itself is usually very clean.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            Seems to me that it would be lot easier to just get a compression tester. I know you replaced the plugs and wires; what kind of shape is your distributor in (still original?)?

Any intake manifold I've taken off typically has a fair amount of carbon around the injectors, but the end of the injector itself is usually very clean.
            yes distributor is original, i have replaced the icm module in it and the o-ring seal on shaft. And of course the cap and rotor is new also. I wonder if the egr valve is functioning properly. I assume i would get a check engine light for that. Got to fish out that brass plug still in egr system. That might have something to do with my gas mileage also.

Comment

Made a write up a while back on how to bench clean fuel injectors. Check it out, see if it can help you.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=208405

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Replace o2 sensor as well? Altho honestly, for city driving at that elevation you are likely spot on for mileage.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  Replace o2 sensor as well? Altho honestly, for city driving at that elevation you are likely spot on for mileage.
                  Would i get a check engine light for bad o2 sensor on a 92 model? Anyone know? Also am wondering how often fuel injectors need to be taken out and cleaned. Am thinking of picking 4 up at junk yard and cleaning first then installing. I will get an o2 sensor as well and thermostat.

Comment

I believe the computer just checks for voltage out of range (0-5v) and the operation of the heater. Other than that if your sensor is fouled or something (lots of cleaner could possibly do that) it won't tell you.

I don't think I ever cleaned my injectors, my car has 250k, and I was getting 30 mpg, but I'm at sea level running 87 unleaded.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                      Would i get a check engine light for bad o2 sensor on a 92 model? Anyone know? Also am wondering how often fuel injectors need to be taken out and cleaned. Am thinking of picking 4 up at junk yard and cleaning first then installing. I will get an o2 sensor as well and thermostat.
                      IMO Seafoam in your gas tank is a waste of time. Unless you are looking to take a long time to clean your combustion chamber. Quicker to fog it.

For the most part fuel injectors should never need to be removed for cleaning. With modern day fuel injected engines the internals of a fuel injector should always stay clean. if the tips get dirty that is due to oil consumption. A good Seafoam intake cleaning/fogging, or two, would usually clean that up.

If they fail, that's when you replace them! Or if you are buying used injectors. That is when you have them flow balanced. They get cleaned during the balancing process, so that is a plus.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Another note, All Honda injectors have a filter basket inside the inlet of the injector body. If you do think that your injectors might be clogged. remove them from the intake and pull out the small filter basket from the inlet end. You will be able to see if there is indeed any gunk or solid particulate clogging your injector(s). If there is, clean out the filter and re-install them. Or you can buy/order them at most parts stores. Keihin / Honda Fuel Injector Filter kit.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                          I believe the computer just checks for voltage out of range (0-5v) and the operation of the heater. Other than that if your sensor is fouled or something (lots of cleaner could possibly do that) it won't tell you.

I don't think I ever cleaned my injectors, my car has 250k, and I was getting 30 mpg, but I'm at sea level running 87 unleaded.
                          Do you think i should just replace my 02 sensor? I doubt it has ever been replaced. So it is very possible an o2 sensor can be bad on that year and i would never get a check engine light? My car is running perfect it seems but gas mileage is horrible. I know 92 and 93's are different when it comes to the computer monitoring things. 93's i believe have auto timing set and 92's don't(this is an assumption from an article i read). I just always assumed if o2 was bad then i would get a check engine light or rough idle or something. I just want to confirm this as don't want to replace parts that aren't bad.
                          [edit] Is it possible i have a bad ECT Sensor. After doing my egr port cleaning. My gas mileage has not increased at all but car runs better. I seriously doubt it has ever been changed.
                          Last edited by zedjr10; 06-23-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X