should i replace my o2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i replace my o2 sensor

I have a 92 ex coupe and i have read and been told that it can be misfunctioning without throwing a cel. I have already ordered one and am going to replace it but wanted to know for sure. I am getting crappy gas mileage after almost anything and everything being tuned up, replaced,cleaned, etc. I have had the car for 5 years and i have never replaced it and the owner before never did any maintenance so i doubt he replaced it. I've read 93 and 92's ecu are very different and 92's may not throw a cel if o2 is bad. Can anyone confirm this?

I've never heard that there was a difference between 92 and 93 ECUs. All PT6 ECUs are identical, as far as I know. There may be very slight changes made over the two years, but I wouldn't think anything drastic. If I'm wrong, I'd love to see concrete evidence proving otherwise.

I have experienced a failing o2 sensor that threw no codes at first. Fuel economy was decreasing, plugs were fouling faster, and the engine just didn't seem to be running as well as it once did. All are good signs of a rich condition, which is common when the ECU is reading incorrect air/fuel levels.
    Eventually, the o2 sensor started throwing code 43 (which is "fuel supply system", oddly enough) whenever I got up to highway speeds (or operating temperature, now that I think about it... probably that, honestly.) It would run like crap until the CEL came on, then it would run better. That was because the presence of the CEL put the ECU back into open loop mode, meaning it was no longer looking for input from the o2 sensor.

Be sure the o2 sensor you get is the correct one for your specific year and model. The plug and wire length is different. You don't want to cut your harness and splice on the new connector, as spliced wires can change the resistance, causing an incorrect reading. If your sensor doesn't plug right up to your existing harness, return it and get the correct one. Don't attempt to make it work, or you could make the problem worse (and more expensive to fix correctly!)
    The sensor should also ONLY be a Denso or NTK. If it's a Bosch, return it immediately. Bosch sensors simply do not work on these cars. Ever. Strange, considering Bosch invented the o2 sensor, and they do technically make one designed to work for the F22A... but they don't. They never work in a CB7, and we've had dozens of members confirm this over the years.

Comment

I ordered a ngk 24169. Suppose to be for se and ex models. I read here that bosch sucks for cb7 o2's. I always trust opinions here before the parts store or even a honda mechanic. As yall are always right it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I've never heard that there was a difference between 92 and 93 ECUs. All PT6 ECUs are identical, as far as I know. There may be very slight changes made over the two years, but I wouldn't think anything drastic. If I'm wrong, I'd love to see concrete evidence proving otherwise.
        The last three digits seem to indicate whether it was for a coupe/sedan or wagon, SE/EX or LX/DX, auto or manual. I think as they updated them, the last digit increased.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Easy cheesy. Came out easily. The only complaint i have is that the ngk 24169 wire is a couple inches too long and sort of hangs there. Car seems to run much better, especially the torque at lower rpms it seems.

Comment

You could always just zip-tie the excess and secure it away from the hot exhaust pipe. Odd that it's noticeably longer, though!

Comment

O2 sensors are a "wear" part. Their performance will degrade over time and miles driven. These cars are old and typically have over 200k on the clock. And luckily they only have one O2 sensor. $60 over the spread of 20+ years isn't a bad deal!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                O2 sensors are a "wear" part. Their performance will degrade over time and miles driven. These cars are old and typically have over 200k on the clock. And luckily they only have one O2 sensor. $60 over the spread of 20+ years isn't a bad deal!
                yeah no doubt, drove it again today and it runs magnificently with 246k miles on it. Like off the showroom floor. Not even the slightest hesitation at any rpm. I'll try above 4k rpm's when i change my oil on saturday.

Comment

Working...
                X