No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude... it's hard! Thanks though man. They can be a stretch of the ol noggin for sure.

Long term plans worth mentioning are a modified 16g, injectors, VRSF intercooler, turboback, shift box and valve body. Stock exterior/interior.

The 2g sidemount gets heat soaked pretty easily. I heat soaked it the other day just running logs checking for knock.

I've heard about the 14b on the 2g's being very capable. I've looked into a couple on a classified FB group but neither owner contacted me back. I may end up with a modified 14b if that's what I run across first.

Thanks man, really. I was quite overwhelmed at first but I stuck with it. DSM's are so different than anything I've worked with before. The potential makes it worth the struggle though.

Sure thing, later man!

Comment

Received the RockAuto order today.

Battery cables, fog light relay, and fuel injector o-ring sets.

2016-10-21_05-17-12

Comment

Got kinda pissed today. I pulled the injectors out to replace the fuel injector o-rings. But... the ones RockAuto sold me don't even come close to fitting.

Amazon, Autozone, RockAuto, etc all state that part number SK57 fuel injector o-ring kit fits my car. I double checked and checked again. Then had someone else check. Sure enough they are all wrong. So, it's not all RockAuto's fault but I'm still not pleased with the end result.

Pulled half of my engine wiring harness off. To make pulling the rail and injectors easier and in order to clean the connectors with CRC QD Electric Cleaner then apply CRC Dielectric grease spray. Since I had the issues with a couple interior connectors corroding I bought the CRC stuff in order to do this to every connector and keep it from happening to any others.

20161022_173703

And here are the o-ring kits. It's pretty evident that they aren't correct. I had never pulled them out before so I didn't know exactly what they would look like. But they are just like Honda fuel injectors.

20161022_171953

20161022_172157 by jcarden405, on Flickr

20161022_172111

Black – 450cc – DSM 4G63 2g Turbo – Stamped MDL450, casting # INP-018 – Low Impedance

20161022_170432

Comment

I had a little better day today. I installed the Evo 8 metal half moon valve cover seal. The old rubber one was shot and leaked a little.

2016-10-23_05-24-40

2016-10-23_05-24-22

I'm amazed at how clean the valvetrain is.

2016-10-23_05-23-42

I also wired in my Autometer gauges to the dimmer. Works great! A little of a pain but not horrible.

2016-10-23_05-25-14

And this car is getting ready to go into winter storage. I'm going to buy parts over the winter and have them ready for spring.

Comment

Garrett T25/T28 wastegate shaft c-clips came in.

20161024_154646

As did an order of dash and console mounts/tabs, a cluster wiring harness and starter relay.

20161024_155257

My starter relay has the cap taken off. My dash and console mounts/tabs are rusty and I'm going to redo the entire cars wiring harness piece by piece.

I want to simplify the wiring harness and reroute it. I've decided I want a partial interior with a partial cage and clean. As for a partial interior this is about how I want mine. The wiring isn't clean in the Mirage in the picture but it is the level of "gutted" I'm after. I don't want it for weight reduction, it's for simplification and I like the looks and feel.

1524822_10152211950804739_435651845_n
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-24-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Fuel injector seal/o-ring kit from Extreme PSI.

2016-10-26_06-35-57

20161026_171707

20161026_172320

All that's left as for gauges is hooking up the stainless braided oil pressure line. Oil pressure gauge in cluster doesn't work due to bad electric sending unit. Very common.

2016-10-26_06-38-12

Comment

After getting the ECT sensor lined out it's running like it should. Or appears to be so far. It hadn't ran right since I got it apparently. I repaired the wiring and put the old ECT back in after finding out that aftermarket ECT sensors don't read correctly.

The ECT wiring being faulty was causing the ECU to stay in open loop. Luckily I never experienced any knock but my fuel trims were at +80% which is horrible. Like really bad. Luckily, it's no harm no foul. But I should probably change the plugs before I bring it back out in the spring.

With the wiring repaired and the new fuel injector o-rings the fuel trim is typically at 0.00% which is perfect. The highest it got today during my 15 mile drive home was +4.64% which is within acceptable. +/- 5% is good.

This is with Torque Pro. I need to run Evoscan when I get the time.

Screenshot_20161028-204917

Screenshot_20161028-204952
                Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-28-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Car is parked for the season. Backed up by the garage at my new place as I moved again. Which is a lot better for working on automobiles. An actual two car garage with two doors. Something I've not had until now living in Iowa.

I will purchase a nice car cover to put over it until spring. Looking for ways to keep rodents out as of now.

Sometimes the fuel trim is high still. +24% is the peak. Which is way better than what it was (+80%ish). Most of the time it's +4%. The code still comes up P0170 from time to time. About every 200 miles. So it's not liking the wiring to the ECT sensor or the ECT sensor. But I think I have everything to fix that when spring gets here.

Will update more on this post later tonight.

Comment

Purchased some stuff. Some of it kinda exciting.

Innova 3612 Compression Tester
                    POR 15 Super Starter Kit
                    FatMat Sound Deadener 100 square feet bulk pack
                    Permatex Heavy Duty Rubberized Undercoating 16oz Cans Case of 6

And the stuff to make a knock light minus the switch.

20161119_171003

Comment

Why my fuel trims are off sometimes. Pre turbo/02 exhaust leak. The last little quark I couldn't figure out. Nasty cylinder head still. Got the leaking vc gasket fixed but damn. Looks horrible in the video.

Comment

100sqt of FatMat. For when I remove everything from the interior and replace each component correctly piece by piece.

20161122_193949

Comment

I'm not going to be able to do anything with the Talon over the winter due to issues within the company I work for. The property I work on/in is being sold or something along those lines. I'm currently trying to get something going near the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area in the same career field.

The Talon needs a new gasket between the head and turbo manifold then I believe the fuel trim issue will be solved. At worst it still persists but I've improved the condition vastly which will still be acceptable for the time being.

It also needs a new battery. Still.

Comment

I bought a new Interstate Mega Tron battery for this thing. Still need new battery cables, which I have.

Finding parts for this thing can be a pain! Front rotors for instance. I finally settled on a set of Raybestos rotors for the front. I wanted Wagner but you know, crap in one hand, wish in the other. Crap won.

I've also got a really nice bunch of stuff, some still on it's way, as for the wiring work I've got to do. Which is just the OBD 2 port. I'm going to cut the worn out factory one off and put on a replacement I bought. Then, I'm going to put a splitter on that so the OBD 2 port will never get plugged in and out again. Which is what wore out the factory one. So I'll used the second part of the pig tail for flashing, data logging ect.

I'm going to start using barrel connectors on all the wiring I do with heat shrink insulted butt connectors. I bought a sweet set of ratcheting barrel crimpers and which have interchangeable heads () and a couple hundred 3M Molex heat shrink butt connectors in 16-14 gauge and 18-22 gauge. I talked to Sheradon Engineering and that's what they use so I figured on this car, being as I'm working on the wiring harness, I wanted to do the best I can with it. So I spent about $60 on these things. Hopefully it makes for a really good permanent solution.

Eclipse Tools 300-005 Pro's Kit AWG 20-10 Ratcheted Crimper

Comment

I forgot to add a couple more things I've ordered. Now that it's warming up a bit I'm going to get after this thing.

Vibrant/STM boost gauge install kit.

Vibrant polyethylene 5/16" air line tubing. For boost gauge.

Sheradon Engineering ECT sensor pig tails.

All from STM.

Comment

Order from STM finally shipped. Must have been the wait on them acquiring the items. Which is cool, I have more than I can do anyways.

I received the Raybestos front brake rotors today. I'm going to do the brakes on this thing very soon. I have a lot of good parts for this thing. I want to get the brakes 100% completed. Being as I now have everything it should go very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X