Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesson learned dealing with rusty cat bolts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBuncky2 View Post
    I removed the bolts with an angle grinder. It took me forever to get to the top bolt with someone pulling the exhaust to the side! I had to take the guard off of the angle grinder and shield my wrists from sparks!

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! Holy shat, for cryin' out loud, wear eye protection!

At any rate, the angle grinder accidentally smoothed over the bolt, making it appear there was no hole there. I had to lightly graze over it with the grinder to find the hole again. It blew!

I ordered / put new studs into the engine (that took a while, as none of them wanted to thread in all the way, and many not even close to all the way).

Bolt on was the simple part, as expected.

Stupid ebay exhaust BARELY fit into the cat! I thought it wasn't going to fit; thought that for sure! It works, though.

I had to leave because we were heading up to Frankenmuth for dinner, but all that's left is to properly click the o2 sensor onto the connector, connect mounting bolts, and fully tighten converter nuts.

The number one thing I wanna stress for this and ALL jobs for DIY'ers is that nothing repairing a car this old is EVER what any normal person would consider easy, unless you've done it previously. Your job will likely take 3-fold longer than your wildest dreams if you've never done it before. I guarantee it.
    glad to hear u got it on next time just drop it an save ur retina from all the sparks. I kno how u feel i had to bare the sparks when i had to cut some of my crossmember out to fit my Dual Downpipe. i just pulled my hoody over my head around my eyes an threw on my googles.
    did u install new gaskets upon imstall??
    Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Originally posted by GearBangnAccord View Post
      glad to hear u got it on next time just drop it an save ur retina from all the sparks. I kno how u feel i had to bare the sparks when i had to cut some of my crossmember out to fit my Dual Downpipe. i just pulled my hoody over my head around my eyes an threw on my googles.
      did u install new gaskets upon imstall??
      Yeah I used the grinder in bursts, since I didn't wanna get showered in sparks coming down from above my head.

Oh of course I installed new gaskets! I did new everything this time around. All new hardware, even if it didn't look bad (actually I just didn't check, but as I go to replace stuff on this car, I'm just replacing everything new anyway!)

edit: haha I just noticed you put my exclamation in red font.

Comment

Dropping whole exhaust from down pipe is the best way to do it, It only took me 30min to un-do 3 bolts at DP to header and take off all rubber hangers one at flex pipe, two after cat, one at axel two at muffler, done!!!!
        Then work on your rusted cat bolts is easy, I guess some people work more with their brain than others.

Comment

at last you guys have that to worry about. I ahev to replace the WHOLE exhaut due to the morons cutting the flewpipe out and putting 1.5" pipe all the way back to the muffler non stop no connecting points or anything

Gives me a reason for swapping header,cat and exhaust though :P
          "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
          sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
          Did work for: jhoff_cb7
          Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Originally posted by keycb7 View Post
            Dropping whole exhaust from down pipe is the best way to do it, It only took me 30min to un-do 3 bolts at DP to header and take off all rubber hangers one at flex pipe, two after cat, one at axel two at muffler, done!!!!
            Then work on your rusted cat bolts is easy, I guess some people work more with their brain than others.
            I didn't want to investigate everything at the time. I was all set up to just cut the bolts at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by BBuncky2 View Post
              I didn't want to investigate everything at the time. I was all set up to just cut the bolts at that point.

The title says it all

Comment

The title says it all
                What are you getting at?

Comment

Iv always just use an old TQ wrench. Tq that bitch up to the highest setting and you can use your pinky to loosen the rusty bolts. Thats my fav. tool I own you could disassemble your whole car w/ that thing!!
                  R.I.P Rex 10/10/97-08/06/09
                  There aren’t enough words in this world to say how much you will be missed. love you buddy!

Comment

I have to say, with this new exhaust header, the car has more acceleration than I've ever seen! It actually responds to my pressing the gas pedal at the minimum level to which I feel it should, for a change! Also, this is the first time since I got the car 3 years ago that it doesn't have a CEL. Maybe I'll actually get semi-good fuel efficiency now. Also, I'll be seafoaming and changing the fuel filter soon. I've already changed spark plugs, wires, dizzy rotor, and checked compression (which is to spec). I'll update next time I fill up!

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                      wow i lol'd at what was said if you catch my drift
                      Oh! Sorry dude, yeah I did catch that before.

Comment

Ya the best tool u own is a brain
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=tool+mankind
                        Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Working...
                        X