CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Audio/Electronics

Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
ridin_low07
Newcomer

ridin_low07 is cool... so far.
Weird Speaker Situation

Ok so I bought my 91 about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately the Previous owner had no idea what the heck he was doing. Its missing the speaker covers all the way around, has 6x9s in the rear deck instead of 6.5s but whatever lol. Anyways before I actually start replacing speakers and rerunning wire, here is my issue. The driver rear speaker has no sound coming out at all. I have tried a few speakers I have laying around as well as checked the connection on the back of the radio. Nada. Is there an internal amp somewhere I need to check?
ridin_low07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Stock radio? Unless it is an SE with the Bose system, there isn't a separate amp. There was an optional equalizer; I'm assuming you don't have that or the optional CD player.
The EX and SE (at least 92-93) models came with 6x9 in the rear. When you say you've checked the connection on the back of the radio, do mean you checked continuity of the wires from the radio back to the speaker connections? Are you sure the speakers you've tried are good (check that they work by plugging into the passenger rear)? Make sure the balance and fade controls are centered as well.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is cool... so far.
Check for power at the speaker that doesn’t work. Use AC on a DMM for speakers.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
ridin_low07
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
Stock radio? Unless it is an SE with the Bose system, there isn't a separate amp. There was an optional equalizer; I'm assuming you don't have that or the optional CD player.
The EX and SE (at least 92-93) models came with 6x9 in the rear. When you say you've checked the connection on the back of the radio, do mean you checked continuity of the wires from the radio back to the speaker connections? Are you sure the speakers you've tried are good (check that they work by plugging into the passenger rear)? Make sure the balance and fade controls are centered as well.
I have not tried testing actual continuity. I just made sure the crimps were good and moved forward. The speakers that I have tried are known to be in good working order. My 91 is an LX so I am doubting very highly of any extra equipment. The radio is a cheapie but I will be replacing it with something else in the near future. Thinking its possible that there may be a bad lead coming out of the stereo. I did double check the fade and balance as well.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #5
ridin_low07
Newcomer

Ok so I went ahead and pulled the speakers back out and looked over the connections... horrible crimp job. Redid the crimps and walah they worked.... and then I hit a bump and it quit again lol. I will screw with it another day.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 AM   #6
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is cool... so far.
I use crimp caps when I do decks (unless I’m not at work and only have butts). That way I know the wires are connected at the harness from the head unit because they’re twisted together, and then crimped so they cannot separate. Just buy some speed wire and redo it at this point. Klein crimps are worth the $30.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: