Rilas : 2004 Acura TL Base w/ Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rilas : 2004 Acura TL Base w/ Navigation

So here is our new to us 2004 Acura TL Base with Navigation. The color is "Anthracite Gray".

About 3 weeks after "Lola" was stolen we decided to replace the 1990 Honda Accord manual, with something that wasn't just another 4th generation Accord. After searching through a lot of different Honda/Acura vehicles we finally decided a 3rd generation TL was the one for us, as it fit all the requirements set. It needed to be a sedan first off, secondly it had to be an automatic, and third it had to have navigation. The all the requirements were set by the GF even though it was my car... Lol you guys all know how it goes . Well were are replacing a sedan with a sedan so that wasn't a big change. The one requirement that I had placed on the vehicle is I wanted a black interior. Which seems to be stupid hard to find in a base model with navigation. I don't know how many I found that were right except they had a tan interior. Toward the end I was even going to give in on my one requirement and even accept a grey interior.

Anyway low and behold the morning of the day we were going to leave for Tacoma, WA from Missoula, MT to buy a 3rd Gen Acura TL and tow it home with the '09 Pilot Touring, a 2004 Acura TL with a bad transmission showed up on Craigslist, in Florence, MT. This is only about 20-25 minutes from Missoula, MT. So after work they lady finally replied. It was a base model, non A-Spec (if only right?!?), with navigation and a black interior. The asking price was only $1500, I really couldn't believe it. We got to go look at it that night, and we bought it. I drove it from about 8 miles out of town into Florence, MT and had AAA tow it home. It can move it self sort of. It will go in 1st and 2nd, up to a point, after which it loses all gears, how long this takes is random. If you stop and restart the car after a minute or so you can continue on till it does it again. Also if it has to down shift from 2nd to 1st it loses all gears. Anyway common problem with them and I was well aware that any 2004-2006 Acura TL will LOSE it's transmission. This actually works out better as I've already got the dead transmission and don't have to buy one that will fail and pay a premium price for it. The replacement transmission is the 2006-2007 sedan/coupe V6 automatic transmission (non hybrid) model BAYA. It's the revised model of whatever is in the TL, after which all the J series bell housings got changed. So on Thursday night (11/10/16) we bought the car. On Friday we headed to Cheney, WA to visit my mom. Which we were going to do the night before on the way to Tacoma, WA. So we didn't have to make that trip (thank god). On the way there we stopped in Coure De'Alene, ID and called Foreign Engines INC. They wanted $1250 to ship me the 06-07 Accord trans with 60k. I just could not justify it. So we got back on the interstate and called Spaldings in Spokane, WA. They had a 06 trans with 160k miles in "shop condition" which is better than normal condition from what I could get out of them. I paid $850 for the trans. So as of currently with no other maintenance, I have a moving 2004 Acura TL for $2350. I can't even describe how relieved this has made me. We were going to spend over $7000 on a TL with only 20K less miles, without a replaced transmission.

Sorry for the wall of text on with a few pictures.

2004 Acura TL 1

2004 Acura TL 2

Black Interior 1 (This will be cleaned, this girl was fairly messy.)

Black Interior 2

Black Interior 3

Wheels (I need to find out more about these, I think these were options. I know the color on them isn't common. Most of them are silver and not gunmetal grey.)

Tires

Replacement Transmission 06 Accord V6 Auto BAYA

I have a few more pictures but they didn't upload right in the group. I'll get them up tomorrow. I'm hoping by the end of the week a few of the replacement parts I want will show up. Just some new seals for the trans, probably a new rear main seal and some other stuff. I'm pulling the engine and trans out together through the top. So while it's out I need to get some maintenance stuff done to it. I should hopefully have it out by Tuesday night. I really do think that the lord above provided this car to our family. Anyway guys I'll keep you all updated.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Good pick-up for the money!

The transmission swap is not a direct replacement, but once a few external components are swapped over, it's ready to go. Definitely an upgrade over the glass transmission currently installed in the car!

The wheels on that car are A-Spec wheels.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks Jarrett!

So far for the trans swap I have ordered.

3rd Gear Pressure Switch
      4th Gear Pressure Switch
      2 New Crush Washers
      2 Axle Seals
      Transmission Filter
      Rear Main Seal
      Redline D4 ATF 1 Gallon (I may need more not sure on this. Seems these later model v6 transmissions have the same fate most of our transmissions do. This fluid is supposed to help with the failure rates. Hopefully it keeps this Accord transmission going.)

Jarrett, do you have any other advice on what I should replace on the engine while it's out of the car? VTEC solenoid gaskets, oil pump gaskets, others? I've been thinking about breaking the pan, pump and rear plate off the engine and reapplying Hondabond to them. I don't know if I mentioned it previously but the car has 185k on it. So I know there should be some things on this engine I should do while I have easy access to it. The water pump and timing belt were just replaced at 181k by a shop somewhere in the Bitterroot Valley. I'm going to check them out just to make sure the work was truly done. I'm thinking about taking the valve covers off and replacing all those gaskets and adjusting the valves while it's out of the car. I took off the intake manifold and while it's not the worst looking one I've seen it's clearly not the best either. So I'm going to at least clean the intake manifold, I might take the runners off and clean them as well. I'm still undecided on this. I HATE the egr system on the V6's, it makes such a disaster of the intake manifolds. Anyway does anyone have any thoughts on anything else to replace?

Comment

My v6 has been pretty solid aside from a crank sensor going out. I have only 121k on my Accord and haven't had any oil leaks that weren't my fault . The rubber parts I would replace...ya know since you're in there.

Good pick up for a good price.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Front and rear main seal are a given. Reapply Hondabond (Permatex Gray) around the rear main seal housing when reassembling. The valve cover gaskets are also nearly mandatory as they're almost always plasticized at that mileage.

I would also replace the thermostat, thermostat housing gasket and VTEC solenoid gasket. Since you've removed the intake manifold, there are phenolic gaskets you can buy to keep IAT temps down a bit, if you're interested. They don't cost much more than the OEM gaskets themselves.

The valve adjustment is also very important to do. I know all engines get a little tired with high miles, but that seems to be one constant complaint with J-series engines. They always have loose tolerances on the valves.

It sounds like you're on the right track without any help!

Was the dashboard in good shape on this car? They're notorious for cracking in warmer climates, but being in Montana may have saved this one.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I've been thinking about the thermostat as I tear more of it apart. Also yes this dashboard has 2 cracks above the instrument cluster. I'm just waiting for a wrecked one within a decently drive-able distance. I need some new door panels and for the cost of the TL-S door panels I'm seriously thinking about buying an entire set over the next couple of months. I really won't mind eventually converting the entire interior over, but it will be a small nightmare to do. Stupid change in 07-08 models.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              Front and rear main seal are a given. Reapply Hondabond (Permatex Gray) around the rear main seal housing when reassembling. The valve cover gaskets are also nearly mandatory as they're almost always plasticized at that mileage.

I would also replace the thermostat, thermostat housing gasket and VTEC solenoid gasket. Since you've removed the intake manifold, there are phenolic gaskets you can buy to keep IAT temps down a bit, if you're interested. They don't cost much more than the OEM gaskets themselves.

The valve adjustment is also very important to do. I know all engines get a little tired with high miles, but that seems to be one constant complaint with J-series engines. They always have loose tolerances on the valves.

It sounds like you're on the right track without any help!

Was the dashboard in good shape on this car? They're notorious for cracking in warmer climates, but being in Montana may have saved this one.
              Ha, I was just going to mention the thermal expansion issue that the IP top pad experiences. I just found a 3rd crack in mine last week. I think I may have mine leather wrapped and avoid any future issues. Just have to find a chrome-free Graphite Black leather.
              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                Ha, I was just going to mention the thermal expansion issue that the IP top pad experiences. I just found a 3rd crack in mine last week. I think I may have mine leather wrapped and avoid any future issues. Just have to find a chrome-free Graphite Black leather.
                That isn't a bad idea. I was just going to try and find a wrecked one and pull it myself. But leather wrapping it and just keeping up on the condition of the leather, I think would look nice, as long as it wasn't too glossy.

Comment

A bit of an update on how this project is going. It has taken a turn south since I got the engine out of the car. Last Wednesday night I finally got the engine and transmission out of the car. I've been working on them over the last few days. They are now separated. While working on removing the oil pan, oil pump, and rear engine plate, I noticed the front head gasket was seeping oil at the corner of the head. So after much debate I finally broke down the rest of the engine.

I currently have an engine block with the rotating assembly sitting on the oil pan... I seriously had no intentions of taking the engine this far apart. Over the weekend I ordered the rest of the gaskets to finish with the rest of the engine. Yesterday morning I dropped off the cylinder heads at the machine shop. I figured if I have the damn things off they are getting some work done to them while the engine is out of the car. They are going to check the guides, valves, springs, surface it, 3 angle valve job, and new valve stem seals. I'm hoping it doesn't need new springs as this is turning into a small fortune. I guess that is just the price to pay for reliability.

On a different note about a few things changing with the car though as it's put back together. Last night I received my RV6 PCD's (Pre-Cat Delete's), which are basically headers for this engine. The cylinder heads have the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head. A catalytic converter is then bolted onto the head. With yet another cat down under the car. I've also picked up an XLR8 J-Pipe, and a set of Innovative mounts with 65A urethane. Needless to say, the car is getting a few nice upgrades and a decent overhaul.

I really wanted to have a running car by the end of the weekend, but alas as usual this will not happen. It looks like I'll get the heads back either Monday or Tuesday. They are going to press in the rear main and front main seals for me as well to factory specs. So I can at least work on sealing up the block during the week and do some cleaning on various parts while I wait. I still need to finish cleaning the intake manifold and lower runners as well.

Sorry I haven't taken any pictures along the way this time. I've been too busy turning the wrenches. I'll take some pictures this week as well as during reassembly.
                  Last edited by Rilas; 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

So I've finally started on the downhill side of this battle.

I finally have everything from Honda but 2 gaskets. Also I got the heads back from the machine shop. They were fully cleaned up had a valve job done and got surfaced 0.004".

I really haven't made a lot of progress on this project so far due to small things holding everything up. Currently the block is hanging on the cherry picker with the rear cover, oil pump and oil pan installed onto the block. I've scubbed the block down the best I was willing to, in the time that I had allowed for it. Over the weekend I wasn't able to get the oil pump and the oil pan reinstalled due to not having the o-ring for the tube in the oil shaft that goes through the top of the V of the block. I was able to get that installed on Monday night. Last night I finished cleaning off the pistons and got the oil pan installed. I was hoping to get at least one head on last night but I put the pan on without the oil pickup for the pump installed . So I had to rip the pan back off clean up all the Honda Ultra Flange and start over. Wasted about 45 minutes on this, which just ate up too much time to allow me to get a head on. I have taken a few pictures and will take some more as I make progress tonight. I'll get the pictures posted up here soon.

Comment

So I finally managed to get a bit of time to upload some pictures of progress being made.

J32A3 Pistons 1

J32A3 Pistons 2

J32A3 Pistons 3

J32A3 Cylinder Head 1

J32A3 Cylinder Head 2 (I cleaned the bolts up since this picture so ignore the crap on the top of them.)

J32A3 Cylinder Head 3

J32A3 Exhuast

J32A3 Intake

J32A3 Engine Front

J32A3 Engine Rear

J32A3 Engine Valley

06 Accord Transmission BAYA

04 TL Damage (Aside from rocks chipping the paint and 2 very minor scratches this is pretty much all the damage done on the car. A trailer hitch hit the bumper enough to break the plastic but not damage the core supports in any way.)

Tonight I'm going to get the timing belt on, and adjust the valves and get the valve covers back on. After that I'm going to start working on getting the intake and such back onto the engine. Tomorrow though I have to go work all day long, so most likely I will not have the engine in the car this weekend anyway. I'm still waiting on a mount from Innovative. They sent me 2 mounts with a R cut out of them for rear. I need a F and R so the F is currently in the mail.

Redline Oil screwed up my first order and sent me 1 gallon and 3 quarts of Lightweight Racing ATF, instead of a gallon of regular Racing ATF. I ordered another gallon of the regular Racing ATF and a gallon of 5-20 engine oil.

Comment

Well guys. I'm very close to putting this disaster back together. I have everything bolted back onto the engine and transmission. They are bolted to each other as well. I have only the wiring harness to reinstall onto the engine and she is ready to go in the car. I started cleaning up the subframe where there was an oil leak and oil/dirt buildup from changing the oil. I don't know why Honda designed the v6's to drain straight onto the subframes when changing the oil filters.

Small punch list to wrap up before engine install

-Clean subframe
                        -Install Innovative Mounts (I'm still waiting on the front mount to arrive...)
                        -Cut old trans mount off subframe (The bracket literally broke into 2 while installed in the car, resulting in not being able to remove it properly.)
                        -Install new lower mounts on transmission
                        -Engine harness onto engine/transmission

I'll get some pictures of the sub frame for the v6 swap thread. Honestly the TL frame might be fairly easy to install into our cars, as long as the front holes are spaced correctly. The rear mounts are actual brackets that bolt onto the sub frame, and then into the frame of the car. So theoretically you could just make some new brackets and bolt it right into the CB7. I'll get some pictures of this. Also I'll get some pictures up of the entire assembly. I'm hoping by the end of the weekend this car will be sitting in the driveway just waiting to be licensed. All in all this will be my new daily driver that has under 5k into it. Engine that has been gone over, and a swapped non-glass transmission. Not a bad deal at all in my opinion.

Comment

The front holes are spaced evenly. They're spaced at 1020mm. The issue is that on the CB/CD Accords there are two per side, where as the newer cars just have one? Does it match the fore hole on the CB/CD, or the aft? I think the front hole, based on looking at ESP's traction bar, but I'm totally guessing.

Comment

Very true Jarrett and I've been thinking about that as well. This may actually be a blessing as we might get better alignment out of it, using one set or the other. Then again it may not help at all. The newer cars only have 1 in the front I believe. I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention last night as I was cleaning a section of the subframe. I was more concerned about the rear. I was worried that it would just be 4 solid mounting points on the subframe. With the rear being a bracket, I was very ecstatic and forgot to look much closer at the rest. Granted it was 11:45 at night and I was feeling very sleep deprived.

Comment

She's alive! It only took me until 5 am this morning to finish her up. But I managed to get everything buttoned up and start her. She runs beautifully, aside from the shaking when in gear but stopped. I knew this would occur with the Innovative mounts though. I've read that it should go away a bit as the mounts break in. The only thing really left with the car is to get it titled, and registered. I figured there was no point in getting this done as the car wasn't in a drivable condition. I still need to do a few more transmission flushes on the car, but I want some driving time on the fluid before I change it. So far all I can say is the Accord BAYA transmission in the car is fantastic! Anyway sort of rambling at this point, but I'm beyond exhaustion and ecstatic that the car is running again!

Comment

Working...
                              X