Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    5-6 hours if you're REALLY slow!
    I'm a slow worker when it comes to cars, and I could probably have a junkyard engine out in two hours tops. Of course, that's assuming I don't have any issues with rusted bolts.

The yard I go to most often has a big rolling rig for engine removal. rather than the usual lift type, it's just a giant arch on wheels with a pulley on it. Roll it over the car. attach the chain to the engine, yank the chain to lift the engine. Roll the arch away from the car, drop the engine on a cart, and go pay for it. It's a great setup.
    Thats how it is here too.

I generally pull engine+tranny if Im at the yard. I cut the wires/hoses to everything( I know asshole move but whatever, its the truth so I might as well own it).

I usually cut the nut on the axles and the ball joints, pound the axles through with a sledge and pull them out and then its time for mounts. I can usually get it done in 2 hours tops with my approach.

Installing I usually take 3 times that long, but, of course you want it to be right and perfecto on the car you are installing it into. My cordless kit includes a sawz all, angle grinder and impact. My cordless kit pwns the junkyard. I bring a load leveler too, that helps a ton for getting everything sideways as you pull it out. I usually just bring a length of chain and some quick connect fittings to manipulate the angle then attach the leveler to the puller. Viola!

Done in no time. If I have to remove a cross member, I cut it out or grind the heads off the bolts holding it in place.
    Last edited by toycar; 04-07-2014, 12:05 PM.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
      cordless kit includes a sawz all, angle grinder and impact. My cordless kit pwns the junkyard.
      I need a kit like that! My buddy has an impact gun (not cordless) that has helped a great deal when working on my car (broke my car a few times, too...) I don't own an angle grinder or sawzall, and I really need both.
      My tool selection is pathetic. I've come up with some absurdly creative ways of doing things (my last brake bleeding setup included an empty PBR tallboy...)

Comment

Shit, I'd tell him to give you the whole car for 700 lol
        Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
        The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

Deever, i said f22a4 head because thats the engine in my car, i do realize the heads are all the same casting.. i've been reading here on cb7 site. i do learn.. altho since i've been building D & B series engines for the last 14 years.. my expertise in them is much greater.

i've looked at the two Tri-cities wrecking yards (about 40 miles away) and they're wanting $650 for a F22aX engine .. need to go see them in person.. if they'll come down in price.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedz View Post
            Deever, i said f22a4 head because thats the engine in my car, i do realize the heads are all the same casting.. i've been reading here on cb7 site. i do learn.. altho since i've been building D & B series engines for the last 14 years.. my expertise in them is much greater.

i've looked at the two Tri-cities wrecking yards (about 40 miles away) and they're wanting $650 for a F22aX engine .. need to go see them in person.. if they'll come down in price.
            Why not just buy the f23 for cheap, and put a pt3 head on it?
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

i called Foreign engines up just now.. they want 595 + 50 shipping for a F23A long block.. still think its kinda expensive. i'll just have to keep looking for a good deal. also called up one of the wrecking yards in pasco (40 miles away) and they have a F22a6 long block.. with blown head gasket.. waiting to hear back on them for a price. hoping it'll be a good price as i'll be rebuilding it anyway.

i just am in the wrong area of the country LOL..

as far as heading over to portland or seattle with a bunch of friends... that'd never happen.. first.. not many of my friends are even into cars.. second... most of my friends that are into cars are broke LOL.. they're all married with kids like me LOL.. we dont have much of an import scene here in Walla Walla, WA. .... 10 years ago yes.. now days, most of the young people into cars are into off-roading and 4x4 trucks..

Comment

I would pay 500 for the whole car.... 200 for the motor!

Comment

Hell I can't give my old f22 motor away. It's sitting in the backyard until I take it to the recycler.

My top number would be $100 if it was known to need a rebuild, or $300 if it was a good running motor.

I'm with Fleetwood. if the motor had new honda seals and timing belts I would pay a little more.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                    Hell I can't give my old f22 motor away. It's sitting in the backyard until I take it to the recycler.
                    Nooooo. Never get rid of an engine unless it has a hole in it or you desperately need the space or lack thereof. That's my rule.

See if Speedz can get it if you really want to give it away. Shipping might run him $275 or so. Maybe add $50 on top. The scrapyard pays what, $20 for our motors in metal?

I may be picking up a 95 Civic for cheap. I could use that possibly.
                    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

i found a f22a6 short block.. the wrecking yard sold the head off it .. it had a blown head gasket.. they told me $150..

Comment

found a guy that was parting out a coupe.. he didnt know anything about engines.. sold me a F22A long block today for $200.. i had to pull it, but it is a running engine

Comment

Working...
                        X