Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad bearing, But its Not! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad bearing, But its Not! Help!

Hello,
    I have 1990 LX Auto

I was having what seemed like bearing noise on the front end.
    Hard right gets louder, hard left sound goes away. However I had bad ball joints and bushings too.

OK, So last weekend I replaced my upper control arms outer tie rods,(already had that job lined up to do). I was careful to keep the toe in line. However the camber looks off a little now.
    When I was done the bearing like noise became unbearably loud. Like a small engine running. It matches speed and still goes away when I make a hard left.

So last night I put new bearing and hub assemblies on the front. Get in for the test drive and, ITS STILL THERE! I'm stumped

I have done this job on all my past high milage loose CB7's, but never had this problem.
    This is my 4th CB7 over the 10 years

Thanks, Hoping someone has had this happen.

Oh, If your wondering, lower control arms ball joints and bushings are next week then alignment. Would have been nice to do all at one but didn't have the finances.

Axles?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Axles are a definite possibility. Take it to a competent shop to be aligned. You can't eyeball that stuff, and if it looks off, it's most certainly WAY off.

Comment

tread sepparation on tire? something on the front rubbing against either the front left side or rear right?
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

The new assembly could also be faulty. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen. Never assume something can't be bad right out of the box. I've seen people waste hundreds because they refused to suspect a brand new part.

Comment

Thanks Guys.
            Yeah I know it needs to be aligned and that may be it, but it'll have to wait till the new control arms and ball joints come in this week and I install them next Saturday. Then Ill head straight to get it aligned and have new tires mounted. Was my first thought sense it came immediately after the tire rods.

No tread separation, I actually work for a tire wholesaler as a driver. But will be getting my new tires next week as well for the alignment.

Putting some knew seats in and doing my timing belt kit a little later so I'll spend some time checking my axles but cant see it making this sound.

Thanks again everyone. I will post the problem and solution here when it gets eliminated. Until then any other ideas are still welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The new assembly could also be faulty. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen. Never assume something can't be bad right out of the box. I've seen people waste hundreds because they refused to suspect a brand new part.

Oh yeah. I've already been there with the ignition. New distributor had faulty igniter. Spent days replacing everything else till I went back to the new Part.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Sounds like a rotational sound, so i'd say axles. Have you inspected the axles for leaking grease or play?

Comment

On the SE I'm working on, it was as simple as something caught between the rotor and the brake shield on one side, and the brake shield itself contacting the rotor on the other.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I was going to say the brake shield possibly making contact with rotor. But fleet wood is a faster hyper than me.
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

yeah I've had that experience with something behind the plate, this isn't it.
                      After wrapping up the work I was doing on it today I inspected the tires more closely and noticed some bad wear on the inside. Rotated the them and the sound changed a little in tone and depth. So yeah, deevergote had it right from the start, its way out of align. Unfortunately I have to wait for my lower control arms to get in and install them before I can get the alignment done unless I want to get it twice.
                      Thanks everyone for your support. CB7tunner rocks!

Comment

Ok. Well finished up the suspension today. Turns out the new bearing was bad. While removing lower control arms and ball joints I noticed it. Was on the passenger side though. I'd been thinking it was on the driver side due to how it drove. Knew it sounded just like a bad bearing but wanted to believe my new parts were all good. So yeah, don't rule out new parts. And if it sound like a bad bearing, IT IS. So, there...
                        On another note. Loving the ride now. New upper - lower ball joints and control arms, tire-rods, all bushings, new tires, and alignment. Starting to enjoy my new very abused and neglected 90 LX.
                        Thanks for all your input everyone.
                        And yeah you were right...you know who you are.

Comment

Working...
                        X