Diagnose ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnose ABS

I got a 92 ex coupe with abs. I have a code 01 which is general abs overflow. The abs has never worked when i had car. I don't want to tear everything apart and replace it when there is a good chance it is probably something simple. So where would i start. I read how to bleed the abs and it showed a couple special tools i don't have. I also read a solution to a common code 1 with no sub-code. Here is the link. It is at honda-tech(sorry) https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-pics-2830570/. I am mostly wondering if i can take the abs unit off and still drive the car. Is this possible. As i want to do it in parts. Any thoughts?

What you're essentially trying to do is an abs delete, but even something like that is really difficult. You'll need brake lines from an LX or non-ABS cb7 as well as a 40-40 proportioning valve from an integra. If you search the forum, you should be able to find the DIY. I don't believe it's possible to drive without the abs on because even then, you'll get some bizarre code, not really sure. I'm surprised I'm not getting that code, because my car leaks brake fluid from an overflowing reservoir.

Comment

I don't want to delete my abs. I want it to work. Just thought i could take it off and drive it while i work on unit. Anyone know where i should start for diagnosing the unit?

Comment

more of a pita to remove it and then work on it and then reinstall it. i deleted mine and it worked perfect lol. best thing to do is buy a service manual and have at it.
        COUPE K24

Comment

Someone dropped this possible solution in my box cause they couldn't post on technical forum(lack of 30 posts). Anyone know about this or have any thoughts. How long i wonder this will take to do.

The abs pump is under the battery on our cars. You’ll have to disconnect the fluid line and the harness plug from the pump then unbolt it. It’s like 3 bolts not hard to get at. Plug the fluid line with a bolt or screwdriver cause that shit will pour fluid all over.
          Pull the pump and then it has three 10mm as I remember bolts to undo the pump then it basically pops in half. Take a pick and pull the screened piece off. Be carful it’s fragile. It looks kinda like the screen filter in the top of the abs modulator fill spot. Then then there is a round clip to pop up and then the center rotating pump shaft that wobbles on its axis. Yank it up. It should pop out and that’s where your problem is. There are two little sliders that are stuck one on each side of the shaft. You’ll see them. They are rounded on the ends. You gotta tap them out then sand them and clean up the pockets that they slide back and fourth in. When you have them sliding freely again then you’re good. Reassemble the pump and put it back in. Bleed your abs and you’re good to go.

Comment

I deleted my ABS system since my modulator was leaking and the price to fix that was over $900.

all you need are the two front hardlines from an LX/DX, an Integra 40/40 proportioning valve (found 94-01 integras), and you could also upgrade your Master Cylinder in the process. I went to a 94-96 prelude BB4 1" MC.

You can leave your rear lines intact since those will work with or without ABS.

remove the Modulator, Accumulator (under battery) and all associated lines along the back firewall with some wire cutters. Remove the ABS computer in the trunk area. The nonABS setup is really easy to install once all the ABS crap is gutted.

All this saves about 25-30lbs of weight also.

^^^All the ABS Junk weighing in at 25 lbs

Last edited by Losiracer2; 11-26-2017, 11:25 PM.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
            X