Check Engine code 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine code 21

Have a 91 Accord F22B1 swap. Check engine light.
    Code 21.
    How can I fix it?
    Has something to do with the VTEC Sol.
    What makes a solenoid throw this code? It has the simplest job and that is to show the computer 12v.

If no fix, I will just bypass it.
    F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Probably doesn't sense the proper resistance. (Too much or too little).

That's not the job of a solenoid, btw. Can you get another solenoid to swap out and check? Is your wiring right? Was it working before?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Probably doesn't sense the proper resistance. (Too much or too little).

That's not the job of a solenoid, btw. Can you get another solenoid to swap out and check? Is your wiring right? Was it working before?
      Then what is the job of the solenoid? No I can not get a swap at this time. Wiring is on point, checked it already. I have two individual red and blue wires 8g running to the assembly. Red for solenoid and blue for the vtec switch.

Somebody told me this car lacks a slot for the pressure switch , so I should just bypass it.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Every time I tune cars this code throws. It's a good thing it does because it's telling the driver there is not enough oil pressure when VTEC engages. I usually run into seeing either a clogged VTEC screen or dented oil pan or bent pick up tube.

That code can be bypassed but isn't recommended because it's letting the driver know something's wrong.

Comment

A solenoid is a coil of wires that produces a magnetic field whenever a current is passed through the wires. I haven't taken apart a VTEC solenoid, but it's a very good chance that the solenoid acts on a ferrous piece of metal and opens an orifice for the oil to pass through.

What have you done to make sure the wiring is good? Does the solenoid click when you manually apply power to it? Not doubting your skills, I just don't want to make an assumption.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
          - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4
          - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6

* Using a 94/95 Accord ECU (P0A/P0B)? Swap pin A6 with A11 on the ECU harness. This is necessary since the 5th gen was wired opposite of the 4th gen for these two pins

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            A solenoid is a coil of wires that produces a magnetic field whenever a current is passed through the wires. I haven't taken apart a VTEC solenoid, but it's a very good chance that the solenoid acts on a ferrous piece of metal and opens an orifice for the oil to pass through.

What have you done to make sure the wiring is good? Does the solenoid click when you manually apply power to it? Not doubting your skills, I just don't want to make an assumption.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
            - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4
            - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6

* Using a 94/95 Accord ECU (P0A/P0B)? Swap pin A6 with A11 on the ECU harness. This is necessary since the 5th gen was wired opposite of the 4th gen for these two pins
            I have done a continuity check and resistance check on my wires..
            Yes, I have removed the solenoid, cleaned it, and made sure that it clicks...

VTEC is wired correctly...

I do not believe tht I have done that pin swap...
            Just to be sure , would you happen to know the color of those two wires that need to be swapped? Just so I can verify whether I have done so...

Also...this one is a little off topic. The front wheel bearing for a 91 sedan should be the same for the coupe right? I do not see why they would use a different one. Thx for the input, sorry for the late response: been busy.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Working...
            X