Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Builds on a tight budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Builds on a tight budget?

I've been surfing the site for a while now, I haven't found much for budget builds...
    I've talked with a friend who seems to know what he's doing.
    What i'm thinkin of doing is:
    A turbo build using an ebasy kit for everything like pipes, intercooelr, BOV, all that stuff, but finding a cheep turbo for $90 at a wrecker and having it rebuilt for $150.
    So that takes me up around $1000.
    But i have also read that the manifodls in the kits are shit too.
    So I would need one of those and a down pipe.

In order to make it not entirley a shit build my buddy said injectors would be in need too.

Well.. that's my very rough idea of a turbo build..

I was also looking for more info on putting a sport camshaft in.
    I don't know much about doing that but from what I do understand it seems to be a major performance increase.
    If so, will a sport cam really jump up the power.
    What is needed along with a cam?

So.. What I'm really looking for are some less expensive upgrades to get a car moving a little quicker. I'm in no need for a 600hp accord. maybe 220.

I did read through the forum for gains of 40hp for under $500.
    But I think it was for a different engine.

So I hope i'm not throwing out a too broad topic..
    But I thank you for any answers or comments.

Your stock cam will do just fine for your needs. Turbo's don't like lots of overlap. If you have to have one, look into getting a custom bisi cam.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

i sorced my dsm etup for $80..all i have left to do is get a $5 oil fitting and 2 cupplers.
      look at craigslist and the junkyard..it takes time to source out cheap reliable parts...whats gonna kill u is the tune afterwards.

my new turbo build

Comment

With the cam part I was more so saying either one. Like if a sport cam will get me moving quick then there wouldn't be a need for a turbo setup.
        If I ever do manage to get a turbo setup, the tune might be hard. Up here in the land of polar bears and iglu's named Regina, Saskatchewan I think there is might be one tuner shop.
        So any other advcice?
        other things to look into for a newbie?

Comment

We're now getting into dangerous territory. If you need to ask these questions (N/A or Turbo) then it proves you haven't used the resources on this site effectively. And the mods will not take kindly to that..

But to shed some, not much, light on the subject i will say that trying to make serious N/A power on par with a turbo using an F22A is MUCH harder and more expensive than building a low-boost budget turbo set-up for your F22.

Your power goals can be achieved with stock internals. But knowing how long it will last is anyone's guess. If your motor is healthy and you keep the boost low it could last a while... If you want N/A power and want to spend around what you might spend on a quality turbo build..get an H22.

But this has been covered many times by many different people. Start searching this site. It has a plethora of knowledge on this subject. Good Luck
          Last edited by islandhopper; 08-26-2011, 11:52 PM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

I have looked around the site alot.. I realise there is a forum for forced induction, but there wasnt that much info on there, well maybe just not much that had allpied to me, cheaper.. I'm still sifting through all the forums and looking to learn but that damn search doesnt seem to work to well.. lol. But I do appreciate the info. Ill look into an H22 a little more.
            So I realised why I hadn't done much research in the H22 swap. It looks scary.. I realise that doing a turbo needs proper tuning and a proper build but it seems as though it is alot less work than an H22 swap?
            The swap needs sooo much different parts and searching and work and all that junk.
            Make up my mind for me.
            Last edited by SASKCB7; 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Sonofabitch... I had a long reply typed out, and for some reason my browser decided to go back a screen on me. So I lost it. So you're getting the short version.

You clearly don't know a whole lot... therefore, trying to go cheap with little to no knowledge will essentially result in you destroying your engine.

Step #1 is very cheap, even free. RESEARCH! That doesn't mean asking to be spoon-fed on a forum. It means reading technical details and understanding every aspect of what you are planning.
              I suggest spending a couple bucks on a single book: Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It's not comprehensive, but it will give you a very good understanding of the engine, as well as what it takes to build a proper turbo system. Read and understand that book, and you will at least be equipped with enough knowledge to ask the right questions. As you are right now, you're only going to confuse yourself. You know so little that you are going to have a ton of information thrown at you on this forum, and you won't even know how to put it together. I don't mean that in an insulting way... we're not born with knowledge... however, if you don't go about acquiring it the proper way, you won't understand it properly.

To address the things you mentioned in the first post:
              Yes, you will need larger injectors. DSM 450cc injectors are commonly used in budget builds.
              You do not need a camshaft upgrade. The stock cam will work fine. There are camshafts with profiles that offer little overlap that are good for a turbo application, but they aren't necessary in a budget build (wanna guess where I learned that information?)

If adding 4 wires for an H22 swap scares you... you're gonna piss yourself when you learn that you MUST tune the ECU for a turbo setup. ECU tuning is fairly complicated, and unless you have a buddy that can do it for you cheap, it's a pretty expensive thing. The majority of catastrophic engine failures with these budget turbo builds are due to a poor ECU tune.

Also, that post regarding the $500 40hp thing... that applies to your car. You didn't bother telling us what you have in there, but I assume it's an F22A1 (LX or EX) or an F22A4 (EX-R...). The engines are identical, aside from the exhaust manifold (which accounts for 5 of the 40hp when added to an F22A1). That thread applies to you. If you weren't able to comprehend that much, at least... you are going to have a very difficult time building a cheap, reliable turbo setup.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                ...I suggest spending a couple bucks on a single book: Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima...
                I second that notion. The info is a little dated at this point in time, but the basics hold true and will give you a much better understanding of what is required to build a turbo sysytem. But it doesn't stop there...if you want to go bottle fed; it's in there. If you want N/A power; it's in there. If you want to go supercharged; IT'S IN THERE!

Pick it up...worth the money ($15 on amazon!) for the wealth of knowledge it will drop on you, if only you just open its pages.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Thanks for the book referal, I will deffinetly look into that. Your right I'm on here to learn.. I didn't know where to start.

Comment

Yeah, you're only going to confuse yourself. Starting with a thread like this is like asking people for directions to someplace really far away. They may give you all the right street names and landmarks... but they'll be way out of order. With no prior knowledge, you'll have no point of reference.

I know a guy that built a turbo setup (and ran it for over a year before he sold the car...running.) He spend $600 total. For everything. However, he researched, and was essentially an expert on building a turbo setup before he bought a single part. Knowing your plan inside and out is the ONLY way to hope to reliably boost a 20 year old engine... and even then, it's a chance. If this is your only car, and you rely on it to get to school/work... then I suggest you abandon the turbo plan, or buy a second car.

Comment

So is your thread for "How to make 30+hp for $500 or less..." a good place to start?
                      and what had thrown me off when I had originally seen it was it says (DX/LX F22A1 only) Ive got the A4, Ill look for the other stuff. Like I said I'm just trying to learn more about playing with cars. I need somewhere to start.

Comment

As I said, the F22A4 is identical to the F22A1, with the exception of the exhaust manifold. One of the first things to do to the F22A1 is to get an F22A4 exhaust manifold... essentially turning the A1 into an A4. So yes... look at it as having the first mod done for you from the factory. Everything else applies in exactly the same way.

Comment

Thanks Deev

Comment

Here is the book read up
                            http://books.google.com/books?id=8R8...page&q&f=false
                            New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
                            tsx retrofit
                            f22b dohc boosted
                            custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
                              Hey that's cool! kinda cheatin' tho...

I still prefer to have the book. It's nice being able to grab it and go. Plus i bought it thru a link on this site, so Deev got like .02 commission.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Working...
                              X