Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Making your turbo spool to build boost quicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making your turbo spool to build boost quicker

I have talked to a few people on the subject and got some good answers, just kinda wanting to see anyone else's input. My boost dont kick in untill the end of 2nd gear and thats usually only 3 or 4 psi and when i hit third gear, i can usually most of the time get my 10 psi that i want, then fourth boosts good too. Just wanting some diff opinions of how to get it spooling quicker to maybe get a little boost in 1st, and all of it in 2nd.

Im just running a T3 TO4E 50 trim turbo, 38mm wastegate set at 8 psi and a manual boost controller. hks super sqv bov. Anyway, ive heard from good sources that a cam from bisi would fix this, anyone have any input on anything else to add to it. I just like as many opinions or facts before i do anything. thanks.......

Lose the manual boost controller and buy a real wastegate. Preferably a TiAL with the desired spring. Also, check for boost leaks. There's DIY's all over the web on how to make an boost leak tester. It costs less than ten dollars.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Ive checked and have changed alot of stuff looking for any leaks at all, i dont think i have any, is that what u think it is? And yes i have seen a few threads on it, just trying to get more input, thanks.

Comment

Regardless, i do think i make me one of those to test for boost leaks, i dont think thats what it is, but you never can tell and that would put one thing it couldnt be out of the way. thanks....

Comment

The use of a divided turbine housing and having it extrude honed should reduce lag significantly.

As said before, a proper waste-gate is more than a good idea. Having the right gate will ensure the turbine spools quickly, but not overspeed. Having it matched appropriately to your set-up is essential.

A high-quality boost controller would be smart, but expensive.

There are many other ways to speed up spool...but they are costly and will most likely require you to change many different components.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

On the boost leak test, ive seen a few diff ways to do it and wanted to see which one one be the best and the safest and the most accurate.

One of them all you have to do is using a pvc cap with your air line fitting in the end of the cap and just put it on at the turbine inlet where your air filter would be and it checks the whole system all the way into the intake manifold, a few people said they didnt like this way so thats why im asking, lol.

The other way checks from the outlet of the turbine by taking that hose off and putting your pvc cap on that coupler and shooting your air in at that point, which checks the piping system and intercooler only and u block it off at the coupling that goes into the intake manifold. Has anyone done either and which way would be the best.

I will def be saving up some cash to get a better wastegate, not sure on which seting spring to go with if i dont use a boost controller or get a better one like you said, thanks....
            Last edited by tootall; 09-25-2011, 01:06 AM.

Comment

K

On 10 psi it won't matter what you do for the boost leak, inlet or outlet. You should check for higher psi then your running, but you would have to do something crazy stupid to hurt the turbo that way.

PWM controllers are not expensive I have not ready what your running for ems, but am assuming you are on one.

Most EMS now have good turbo control features including pwm control that allow for full duty cycle (open) until a certain psi, then run the duty cycle that holds the correct boost after that. This helps A lot for spooling turbos.

I don't know where you start to spool, but I have been tuning an hx35 on an h22 and in low cam I can get it up to 19 psi in first gear, still running a manual controller. It starts spooling at about 3K and is full at 5500. It will get better when he gets on a pwm, and with tuning.

Which brings me to timing. Increasing timing in lower rpm / high load areas will help with spooling. I do not know if you have the injectors for it, or the availability of e85, but it is very kind to high ignition timing in these areas of the map.

10 psi doesn't seem to merit the use of full throttle shift, but if you are dropping a lot of boost (lol) between gears, then running a FTS setup is an option. I have had good luck just running fuel and ignition cut on the h22 hx35 setup.

Plus there is always n20

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Well just from reading your post I can tell you that either you wastegate is no good or a boost leak is there as mentioned. If you were to study how a turbo exhaust and compression size operates, you would realize that the smaller the compressor housing the fast the spool because it take less intake air to spin the wheel at a lower rpm
                New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
                tsx retrofit
                f22b dohc boosted
                custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Well i went around and snuged all my clamps a little more and i am getting better boost, Getting more boost in second, and actually getting some in first now too. And yes i know how that operates as far as the smaller the compressor housing, the faster it spools, just looking for some brainstorming on everything and thanks for the input, i also was beginning to think it was my wastegate. Thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
                    Well just from reading your post I can tell you that either you wastegate is no good or a boost leak is there as mentioned. If you were to study how a turbo exhaust and compression size operates, you would realize that the smaller the compressor housing the fast the spool because it take less intake air to spin the wheel at a lower rpm
                    i believe you mean turbine housing that being smaller would benefit with low end spool but hinder your high end power

the turbine housing is more relative to spool time and the compressor housing is more relative to CFM's.

to the OP what is your turbine housing A/R and your compressor A/R
                    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Yeah that... You have to give a little to get plenty. Vice versa
                      New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
                      tsx retrofit
                      f22b dohc boosted
                      custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Aside from upgrading to a better quality of wastegate and checking for boost leaks. I recommend nitrous. A 50 shot would do you some good definitely. Once you mash on the gas the power is there instantly. Depending on the quality of your build you can also set it up in stages so like right before you spool have one stage, and then when the turbo maxes out have a second stage that keeps you going faster.
                        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                        If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

- exhaust leak (before the turbo)

- boost leak (anywhere starting inside the turbo itself and all the way to your intake manifold and all vac fittings, etc)

- very poor basemap. what are you tuned on?

I've been using an eBay wastegate since 2009 daily, never any leak problems.

Comment

I haven't been on here to post in a while but i changed all my vac lines and tightened up all my couplers which were all ready tight but was able to turn each one a little and im finally getting all my boost in all gears except first which i can get it i load up and spin tires on take off im able to to see 3 or 4 psi so its all good and thanks for every ones help,,,

Comment

looks like you got a lot of help on the subject but though I would chime in since you ask about a Bisimoto camshaft. Our Level 1.2 will actually help quite a bit with turbo spool and carrying a better power band. We have seen from testing up to 60whp gain at 8psi.

Comment

Working...
                              X